Coaches canned

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Coaches canned

Post by mathonwy »

Strombone
‏@strombone1
Since our 1st year when we arrived together, AV would always tell me that he'd be gone before I would. I guess he was right. Very ironic....
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mathonwy wrote:Strombone
‏@strombone1
Since our 1st year when we arrived together, AV would always tell me that he'd be gone before I would. I guess he was right. Very ironic....
The ironic part being that Lou's actions ultimately got AV canned?? :drink:

wink wink nudge nudge, say no more, say no more...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote:
Canuck-One wrote:A sad day as he was an excellent coach who deserved a GM who could give him the horses to do the job.
I can't agree with that, AV coached a team with two Ross winners, a Pearson winner, a Hart winner, a Selke winner, and a goalie who should have won a Vezina. The only team with comparable individual hardware is probably Pittsburgh.

No, AV will be remembered as the coach of the greatest assembly of talent this franchise has ever seen, and produced the best seasons in franchise history...but didn't quite get there.
Hank wrote:
I'm a little suspicious of the timing of this whole "reconciliation" thing. Clearly, it's not about a jersey retirement but to bring in an old familiar face to coach offensive hockey...

Welcome Coach Pavel and his assistant Gino!
Oh hockey gods, let this happen!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hiring the first Russian head coach is juuuuust unconventional enough for MG!
The Sedins would have to go. They can't skate fast enough for Pavel's brand of hockey. :P

But damn.....that would be one high flying brand of physical, intimidating thuggery with those two behind the bench.
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

Coach Bure leans over over and whispers in Henrik's ear, "Go do this to the guy who just hit you."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZCuZ5UWEV0
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

My Nephew went to three training camps in Buffalo, alll the players like Lindy Ruff. He's a players coach.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Mondi wrote:Not the guy who couldn't trade Luongo.

Not the guy who flipped Grabner and a first for Ballard.

Not the guy who decided to resign Mason Raymond, and retain Manny Malhotra.

Not the guy who thought Derek Roy was the answer.

Not the guy who let Erhoff go in favour of Edler.

Not the guy who let Salo walk.

Not the guy who offered Mats Sundin and Pavol Demitra huge contracts.

Not the guy who...anyways the team needs a new voice and some new energy. Should be good, provided the replacement isn't someone out of left field with no experience.

I thought AV did a great job here, and was a guy with a lot of humility and pride. A guy who didn't exude arrogance, but was still appropriately confident.

Good luck AV.
Good grief Mondi- the guy made some mistakes butt.....

Florida sure didn't benefit from Grabner either

Did Sundin hurt the team? Or Demitra? Did they do anything to get the team to game seven of a cup final?

Ehrhoff over Edler... with that contract he was offered and signed?

Up until Malhotra sustained a career changing eye injury everything was just fine- that was Gillis' fault?

An how long did you want the Canucks to keep Salo? At some point change has to come and a player also wants to move- was it worth paying him more to stay?

Did Gillis say Roy was the answer? Never heard that.

At the end of the day for any sport the coach has a shelf life and when it's stale- and clearly it was it's a lot easier to get rid of him and them for a whole load or reasons I hope you are aware of. Gillis used his poison pill, now it's up to him to make the changes necessary or he's the one who gets axed next. It was always going to play out this way.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

Just don't bring in Torts. Can anyone say "trainwreck"?
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hank wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Yeah, so long and thanks for all the fish....best of times and worst of times...it was just....time....

Let the speculation begin! :D

What's Pat Quinn doing? Kirk Mclean?
I'm a little suspicious of the timing of this whole "reconciliation" thing. Clearly, it's not about a jersey retirement but to bring in an old familiar face to coach offensive hockey...

Well, if Patrick gets a chance then I say....Jubel!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

SKYO wrote:Image

I don't know man....an unproven AHL Ontarioan....I'd rather have Coach Sasha.... 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Thank God, 3 years too late but then he did 2011 so I gave him one more year.

He should of been gone after last season and not had another chance.

He did well but he didn't win so he needs to go.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

I suppose it was inevitable. Good luck AV. you came within a game of the ultimate goal.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote:
What a knob. Tuned out after what...18 months?
If you need air...call it in
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hank wrote:I'm a little suspicious of the timing of this whole "reconciliation" thing. Clearly, it's not about a jersey retirement but to bring in an old familiar face to coach offensive hockey...

I dunno, I can't really see this happening. I think pavel will be a bit like gretz, great players, but not very good coaches. They were able to do stuff that u can't really teach. Also, pavel never liked the limelight. I can't see him enjoy talking to the media all the time nor having fans approach consistently in a hockey mad town like van-city.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I feel no happiness over this news - only relief.

Av did some marvellous things in Vancouver and his record speaks for itself. Bowness and Brown were able assistants. Personally, I'm grateful for what they did to bring the club the success it had and no doubt they will find NHL employment before next season.

But they had to go. They'd gone stale, ran out of ideas when the league figured them out, and they gave the room to the leadership and couldn't get it back when they needed to. Even Scotty Bowman got fired.

Notice Rollie Melanson is still employed by the Canucks?

As for replacements,

Tippett? Please,for the sake of all that's holy, do not give this man the keys to the dressing room! If we thought Vigneault's tactics pre-Gillis were unwatchable I can't conceive a scenario where I don't gouge out my own eyeballs after two games watching him coach the Canucks into the ice. The guy is a one-trick pony: trap trap trap, and get a good goalie. Let him coach some league welfare team somewhere else.

Ruff? He's worth an interview. The guy learned from some of the best minds in coaching and it's no coincidence that he was on the coaching staff for the Canadian Olympic hockey team. The guy is smart enough to self-analyze where he went wrong, so it's not like we'll see the last couple of years in Buffalo play out in Vancouver. Not saying he's a front-runner, but he's definitely worth consideration.

Boucher? Definitely worth an interview. I appreciate that he's an innovative hockey thinker, and his teams didn't suffer horribly offensively even when he went to 1-3-1. Does he have the motivational/player relations skills though? Was he a scapegoat for the fact Yzerman struck out on his anybody-but-Luongo alternative and had a cruddy D-squad, or did the players truly tune him out? Depending on how he interviews, he may make the short list.

Gulutzan? Please.... no. The guy couldn't even keep his job after getting his chance to save it with Jim Nill. Got bad vibes about the guy and the record doesn't mitigate it.

Arnieal? Nope. He's better off with a younger team who won't look at him like he's stil the farm hand. He's just not ready for the challenge that that dressing room will present. Better off keeping him in Utica/wherever.

Eakins/miscellaneous bright AHL guy? Maybe. It depends on how much they impress management in terms of the tactics they want to employ, their philosophy for developing youngsters (probably where they may have a leg up on the rest of them), and their leadership style.

Even so, I'll be interested to see who comes in as assistants. Bowness did a lot of good things with the D corps and developed a lot of the current core D into the players they are today. We'll see how they replace that ability. Thank God Newell Brown is gone and we won't have to watch the same old powerplay schemes game-in and game-out. Again, it will depend on who comes in.

Now on to some serious roster moves. Seems Gillis had his meeting with ownership and got his big-hand-small-map approved so it will be interesting to see what happens now between the ends of the SCF and the Draft.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.