Coaches canned

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Coaches canned

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Basic Thoughts:

Good coach. Passed his expiry date. He'll find another job. Gillis bought himself another year.

Gillis didn't make moves that could've helped AV, but AV's big guns didn't help him come playoff time.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

I liked how Vigneault found the humour even when faced with adversity - I'll never forget him cracking up about a botched Matt Cooke chance during a post game interview (in 2006-07 I think), when they were a VERY low scoring team.

Then there was the Angry Bieksa.

Anyway, clearly Vigneault had to go - the team results tell you everything you need to know - but even more than Vigneault, Newell Brown had to go. His special team coaching was so awesome in 2010-11 that all the other teams studied it, developed a way to overcome it, and he didn't have an answer that worked over the last two seasons. That is a true coaching failure.

It's almost like a team has to have a new special teams coach every year in order to be successful - the video scouting and coaching is so sophisticated that you have to make dramatic and significant changes to keep other teams on their toes.

So long AV, I appreciated your service, and wish you the best.

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Wed May 22, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a great day for hockey!
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

herb wrote:I like AV and think he is a fine coach. He will land on his feet somewhere and be successful.

Was AV provided with a perfect roster every year? No, but not many coaches get that luxury. AV was provided with a cap max roster and failed produce anywhere near acceptable playoff results for two seasons.

The PP and PK have been crap. As I've said before, awful special teams falls on the coaching staff's shoulders.

A reset, a refresh, a roster reshuffle with some solid additions and a new coaching staff will hopefully inject some life into the core group of players.
Yes. Exactly this. PP and PK has been shite since the 10/11 season and there was no reason to believe it would be getting any better next season without serious changes.

So there's around 2 weeks between the end of the playoffs and the draft lottery. That's just not enough time to look for both a GM AND a coach. So, the coach is the only logical choice to get canned.

I very much appreciate what AV has done for us. Although, I will never forget the crushing disappointment I felt after game 7 of the 10/11 SC finals, I will also never forget how magical that season truly was. From the month long road trip, to the emergence of the SSB line, to the consistently top 3 special teams and finally to the first ever President's Trophy for our team. AV was a big part of that and I thank him for everything he did for us.

But it's time to move on. We've had a taste of excellence and a drop back to mediocrity is unacceptable for everyone who's a fan of this team.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I thought this actually could have been the move after last year's playoffs, but Gillis gave him a mulligan given the 2011 run. Fair enough, but while I agree with the compliments paid to AV (he did have a great run here) nothing spoke louder about the need for the coaching change than how the team was simply not prepared to start each of its last two playoff series. We can point to other issues, like the PP and decision like having Hank take the d-zone faceoff under a minute left in Game 2 this year, but to see them flat two years in a row, starting at home ice...it was clear, the message was no longer getting through, or he'd so delegated to the leaders on the team that AV's role had become irrelevant in this regard. Either way, time to move on.

I simply don't know the qualities of the coaching options for a new hire, but safe to say, as others will say, GMMG better make the right move. I guess I'd prefer a young guy than and older retread (Lindy Ruff rather not, don't get the interest in him, at all, say)...get one of the AHL successes, give him a chance to breathe some new life into things...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Boston Canucker wrote:get one of the AHL successes, give him a chance to breathe some new life into things...
Someone like a Glen Guletzen?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Boston Canucker wrote:
I simply don't know the qualities of the coaching options for a new hire, but safe to say, as others will say, GMMG better make the right move. I guess I'd prefer a young guy than and older retread (Lindy Ruff rather not, don't get the interest in him, at all, say)...get one of the AHL successes, give him a chance to breathe some new life into things...
Yes please. I want to see a young guy run this team. I really don't see GMMG being able to pull off any type of blockbuster during the summer as his track record up till now has been pretty rather suspect. But being able to get a good coach should be doable. We need a reason to be excited about this team and bringing in a Lindy Ruff doesn't exactly get my juices going (if you know what I mean). :thumbs:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Yeah, so long and thanks for all the fish....best of times and worst of times...it was just....time....

Let the speculation begin! :D

What's Pat Quinn doing? Kirk Mclean?

Maybe one of the posters on here should apply, BD?! You sure know your hackey 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Thanx to AV for a some really good seasons, couple of 2nd round appearances and a Cup final appearance. He is our franchcise winningest coach and jack adams award winner, but the team needed a change.

As far as replacements go, I wouldn't mind Dave Tippet if he is released from Phoenix. A bit of a long shot as well, but I always liked Larry Robinson.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Arachnid wrote:Yeah, so long and thanks for all the fish....best of times and worst of times...it was just....time....

Let the speculation begin! :D

What's Pat Quinn doing? Kirk Mclean?
I'm a little suspicious of the timing of this whole "reconciliation" thing. Clearly, it's not about a jersey retirement but to bring in an old familiar face to coach offensive hockey...

Welcome Coach Pavel and his assistant Gino!
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Thanx to AV for a some really good seasons, couple of 2nd round appearances and a Cup final appearance. He is our franchcise winningest coach and jack adams award winner, but the team needed a change.

As far as replacements go, I wouldn't mind Dave Tippet if he is released from Phoenix. A bit of a long shot as well, but I always liked Larry Robinson.
I like Robinson too, althought he doesn't seem to want the big job. Years ago, he let the NJD job because of the stress. But who knows. I think he'd be an interesting, potentially very good choice.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Anyone know when AV's extension was due to kick in?
LOL, a few months from now!

Coulda just had him coach the 2012-13 season without an extension in place, put most teams are loath to do that.

Lame duck coach, big distraction, yada yada yada...

I was calling for his head a year ago (pre-extension) so I've been looking forward to this moment for some time.

Gillis has never hired a head coach before so this might be interesting....
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Gillis gettin' sassy with the media today haha.

What do you guys think about Dave Tippett?

He could become available if the Yotes situation isn't figured out.
Tippett has made the playoffs in eight of 10 seasons as a head coach in the NHL. His system turned the Phoenix Coyotes into a playoff team in three of four seasons, under inconceivable conditions with the franchise’s ownership mess.
His contract is up this summer.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 26177.html
--
"In just three seasons, Dave Tippett has reversed the fortunes of the Phoenix Coyotes franchise. After inheriting a team that had missed the Playoffs for six consecutive years, Tippett has led the Coyotes to three straight postseason berths, culminating in a Pacific Division crown this season.

As the 2010 Jack Adams Award winner, Tippett has garnered respect around the league for his ability to win, despite having one of the cheapest rosters in the NHL. Prior to signing on with Phoenix, Tippett led Dallas to five Playoff appearances in six years, including a spot in the Western Conference Finals in 2008.

Though he's rarely had the luxury of coaching star players, Tippett has consistently built his teams into cohesive units that play with heart and passion, despite regularly facing off against clubs with more skill. What's even more impressive about what Tippett has done during his thee years in Phoenix is that he's been this successful even with all the turmoil that has surrounded the franchise since Wayne Gretzky left town in 2009."
~bleacherreport
Last edited by SKYO on Wed May 22, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Boston Canucker wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: As far as replacements go, I wouldn't mind Dave Tippet if he is released from Phoenix. A bit of a long shot as well, but I always liked Larry Robinson.
I like Robinson too, althought he doesn't seem to want the big job. Years ago, he let the NJD job because of the stress. But who knows. I think he'd be an interesting, potentially very good choice.
Yeah, I was suggesting Big Bird in this forum a few months ago.

He seems like a great coach from what I can see, very well respected around the league as well.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Canuck-One wrote:A sad day as he was an excellent coach who deserved a GM who could give him the horses to do the job.
I can't agree with that, AV coached a team with two Ross winners, a Pearson winner, a Hart winner, a Selke winner, and a goalie who should have won a Vezina. The only team with comparable individual hardware is probably Pittsburgh.

No, AV will be remembered as the coach of the greatest assembly of talent this franchise has ever seen, and produced the best seasons in franchise history...but didn't quite get there.
Hank wrote:
I'm a little suspicious of the timing of this whole "reconciliation" thing. Clearly, it's not about a jersey retirement but to bring in an old familiar face to coach offensive hockey...

Welcome Coach Pavel and his assistant Gino!
Oh hockey gods, let this happen!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hiring the first Russian head coach is juuuuust unconventional enough for MG!
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

I don't think he wants to be a head coach, but...

One tough guy.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!