Coaches canned

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Coaches canned

Post by dbr »

Yeah I am hoping we see much more "safe is death" Torts than what he was doing in New York.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Hope the players are getting ready for Camp Torturella!

Bring him on, hopefully he can not only provide that lead by example assholeness we need but he can bring out the inner asshole in some of our existing players.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I just wanna go on record right now saying this is a stupid fucking move by Gillis. Torts isn't going to be able to suppress the little cunt inside him for long.

This is going to get ugly and it will probably be spectacular.

*butters popcorn and tucks Skyo in for the night*
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I don’t think any of the coaching options looked like home runs to me. No matter which way Gillis went, he was going to be vilified and second guessed.

Despite some of his head scratching decisions and over-reliance on his veterans, I did like AV. The major aspect of the past two seasons that consistently pissed me off was the guys didn’t look interested in putting in more than 50% effort for the vast majority of our games games. To me, coaching is at least partly responsible for that. I hope Torts can get this core group of players playing as a five man unit with more consistency, like we saw in 2011.

To me this is a bold move. The bulk of the players aren’t going to be changing teams, and Tortorella’s track record is pretty good. Despite what some have said, he has a record of coaching teams for long periods of time, so I’m not so sure he has a short shelf life.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Rumsfeld wrote:I just wanna go on record right now saying this is a stupid fucking move by Gillis. Torts isn't going to be able to suppress the little cunt inside him for long.
It's definitely a boom or bust sort of move. Either it works, or Gillis is gone within two years. This is Gillis rolling the hard six.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:
herb wrote:Tippett has agreed to a five year contract extension with Phoenix, so he’s officially not an option.

Gillis met with Johnny T yesterday in Boston.
Eakins, Tippett, Ruff, AV all snapped up.

Basically just Torts and Stevens left, MG has to sign quick this time or some other team will try to snag em up. :o

Torts was the first choice the moment NYR let him go, The Canucks weren't left taking the left overs. This was their guy. They did the same frigging thing in hiring MG. I heard before Nonis was fired that Nonis was getting fired and this guy named Mike Gillis was going to be GM. They did this dog and pony show pretend interviewing with a number of candidates after he was offered the job. They denied it of course but this situation is the same.

I was told back in early May that if Torts was fired the Canucks were going to hire him. I didn't believe it but my friend was adamant that he had talked to a number of players who after having their exit interviews all had the same message. If Torts was available he was going to get the coaching job.

Now I don't know how much this is a MG hiring or how much this was very strongly suggested to him as the best way to go. That is something I don't know if we will ever know.
The only HW the Canucks need
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Hockey Widow wrote:I was told back in early May that if Torts was fired the Canucks were going to hire him. I didn't believe it but my friend was adamant that he had talked to a number of players who after having their exit interviews all had the same message. If Torts was available he was going to get the coaching job.
Ha! Finally, a slip up.

We now know your insider is a he!!!

:mrgreen:
2011..... the one that got away.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I think this is going to be a disaster. There is a lot of focus on his relationship to the media, but I don't give a crap about that. This is a hail-mary pass by Gillis (or worse Aqulini...who is making the hockey decisions on this team?!), and I fear it'll blow up in their face. I'll hope for the best, Canucks for life, but I can't say I'm optimistic or pumped about this at all. True, it'll be an freaking entertaining ride...Hank and Danny blocking shots, yes, that'll be a real good use of their talent!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Rumsfeld wrote:I just wanna go on record right now saying this is a stupid fucking move by Gillis. Torts isn't going to be able to suppress the little cunt inside him for long.

This is going to get ugly and it will probably be spectacular.

*butters popcorn and tucks Skyo in for the night*
thanks man, I also prefer my draws washed with starch.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hey Skyo, can I buy you a Sterno on your national day?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Only if it's natural gas.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

SKYO wrote:Only if it's natural gas.
bitchyoumean
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

fracku
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

The following users say thank you
to SKYO for this useful post:

Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Canuckscorner reaction to your post

Stay on topic rummy! :mrgreen: