Coaches canned

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Coaches canned

Post by dbr »

I really like Stevens' work with Drew Doughty and Voynov, sounds like it is just a case of work habits and preparation and professionalism too so it probably wouldn't be something that the forward group couldn't benefit from either.

IMO this franchise desperately needs a couple of immensely gifted younger players to step forward next year (Edler and Kassian) and Stevens might be the guy to do it.

Maybe they don't need the help, maybe they do and Tortorella can also bring it out of them.

I guess in all likelihood, either candidate is going to be challenged to demonstrate more versatility than they have in the past if they wind up behind the bench here.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Stars president at Dallas-Fort Worth Chamber lunch has said Ruff has been hired by the Stars (or will be).

Scratch him off the list.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Ruff hired by the team that beat him in the finals by a foot in the crease…
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

tantalum wrote:Stars president at Dallas-Fort Worth Chamber lunch has said Ruff has been hired by the Stars (or will be).

Scratch him off the list.
phew thank goodness.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well if it is experience we want that leaves Torts. Did Mg even interview Ruff?
The only HW the Canucks need
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I believe Ruff was interviewed but I can't be bothered to find something that says one way or the other. :D
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

tantalum wrote:I believe Ruff was interviewed but I can't be bothered to find something that says one way or the other. :D
I'm too lazy to link anything, but word yesterday was the Ruff has had two interviews with the Canucks.

Kudos to Dallas for hiring him. I would have been pretty disappointed if we got him.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Torts get the job by default 'cause he's the last man standing...

:eh:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Arachnid wrote:Torts get the job by default 'cause he's the last man standing...

:eh:
Not if he was the first choice all along. :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

yeah I think the second round interviewees were Torts, Stevens, Ruff and Arniel. I suspect Torts and Stevens are far and away the front runners. Torts apparently impressed significantly in his first interview to get the second one that, from some of what I read, they weren't really expecting to give him when they invited him for the first one. I've been in that sort of situation where you think you know who you want to hire and all of sudden this guy you never expected to make a favourable impression demonstrates they'd be fantastic for the job. When that happens it's hard to stop the momentum so I would not be shocked at all that Torts wins the job.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I hope they go with Stevens, not Tortorella. Stevens' work with LA seems impressive, and he's coached at all levels, with many different types of players. My issue with Torts is not his personality, but that I actually don't think he gets the best out of his players, or if he does it is very short term, wears them out. I don't think he got the best out of Nash or Gaborik for eg., and NYR's pp and general offense was not the least bit impressive. I'm really not interested in us becoming team shotblock...no evidence this leads to Cups. I sense Stevens is the better choice, hope MG goes this way.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Sather Blames Lack Of Offense And Puck Possession On Tortorella
'If you look at these playoff games (like the Stanley Cup Finals matchup) you're gonna see tonight, the style that they play, I mean there's not a hell of a lot of dump-ins,' Sather said.' (I) mean, (if) you have to dump the puck in, you have to dump it. But there's a lot of puck control and hanging onto the puck and moving the puck out, and there's not stopping behind the net to gain control. There's a lot of things that are done differently than what we were doing. So you have to look at the style of play. That had a lot to do with (the decision to fire Tortorella), too.'"
It's a fair point at face value from Sather. The Bruins and Blackhawks and Penguins and Kings have had successful seasons and deep playoff runs in part because of offense, obviously, but also puck possession. And in both areas the Rangers struggled heavily.

But here is where things start to unravel for the 69-year-old GM. Coaching has something to do with it for sure, but perhaps the biggest reason that some of these teams have such success offensively and in holding the puck lies in player personnel and not necessarily a tactical philosophy. The Penguins have Crosby, Malkin, and Letang. The Blackhawks have Kane, Toews, Hossa, Seabrook, and so on. The Bruins don't really match that, but then again the Bruins don't play too different from how John Tortorella's Rangers did. The difference being that their personnel play the system better than ours did.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

If they do hire Torts maybe the solution would be is to hire a superb offensive minded associate coach to handle those duties, with torts kicking butt when needed.

It'd be similar to hiring Stevens, with the assistant coaches being quite important as well, anyways I do hope the coach gets to pick and choose his associates.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Those teams pass all the time. They are quick teams because they are constantly moving the puck. When they click it looks tremendous (though when they don't it looks like last nights game). The canucks were the same way in 2011.

Rick Nash has yet to make a pass in his career so good luck with trying to mimic that type of play with your first line Slats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote:If they do hire Torts maybe the solution would be is to hire a superb offensive minded associate coach to handle those duties, with torts kicking butt when needed.

It'd be similar to hiring Stevens, with the assistant coaches being quite important as well, anyways I do hope the coach gets to pick and choose his associates.
Yeah, is there any talk about possible assistant coaches?

If it's Stevens coming in can I dream about him bringing Robinson with him from California? :look:

Next season is an option season for Robinson, dunno if it's team option/his option/or both.

http://www.fearthefin.com/2012/7/9/3147 ... iate-coach
Last edited by Strangelove on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.