Coaches canned

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Coaches canned

Post by black ace »

Bringing in Torterella is a boom or bust hiring similar to bringing in Keenan. You hope he can push the team that 5% more it needs without having the entire thing implode.

imo bringing in Stevens would indicate Gillis isint really worried about the "window" closing.

I would be surprised if it was anyone else.

Time will tell.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

black ace wrote:Bringing in Torterella is a boom or bust hiring similar to bringing in Keenan. You hope he can push the team that 5% more it needs without having the entire thing implode.

imo bringing in Stevens would indicate Gillis isint really worried about the "window" closing.

Time will tell.
Tortorella's playoff record stinks pretty bad if you take away the Cup win.

Stevens is going to be a guy that everyone likes and can be one of those guys who stays on for a long time. I'm just worried about his ability to coach and motivate the team.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

FAN wrote:
black ace wrote:Bringing in Torterella is a boom or bust hiring similar to bringing in Keenan. You hope he can push the team that 5% more it needs without having the entire thing implode.

Time will tell.
Tortorella's playoff record stinks pretty bad if you take away the Cup win.
If you take away the cup win ? Why should that be taken away ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Blobby, how long do you give Torts, if he is hired, until he gets fired from here? I give it 1.5 seasons.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Blobby, how long do you give Torts, if he is hired, until he gets fired from here? I give it 1.5 seasons.

No idea, not even sure if i want to see him here. I was just questioning why his cup win should be taken out of the equation.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

FAN wrote:Tortorella's playoff record stinks pretty bad if you take away the Cup win.
LOL

AV's playoff record smells like roses if you add a cup win.

LOL
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

You know Tortorella stayed with the Rangers for what, five seasons.. with the Lightning for seven I think?

Obviously he's a bit of a clown in front of the cameras and I don't think that would jive with the franchise, and there are other things on his resume that are a cause for concern... but for a coach to have two NHL jobs averaging six years per, that doesn't really support the short shelf life, high risk, etc narrative most people have been projecting onto him.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Torts is like the new Keenan, of that lunatic variety but manages a shelf life that is a hair bit longer than Keenans, the same head games with the media and players.

To be honest, I kind of like Torts cause he's not right in the head. Everyone thought he would have been a great hockey analyst when he went to TSN was it? Fuck was he awful. He may be kind of entertaining.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

For those not familiar with Torts + media:

:mrgreen:

Gotsta say I'm really warming up to this guy.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

I guess what I'm sayin brooksie is get the fuck out of here then...

I gotta wonder, if torts there got the job and during the playoffs when the Canucks get their annual anal cleansing from the refs and the league.... Will he take the fine and/or suspension for explaining to the media that a spade is not in fact just a manually operated entrenching tool ?

Cause if he did, he might endear a few fans like me...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya I was getting tired of the laughing frenchman who always seemed to be sucking an ice cube during his interviews. I swear all you could hear was it clicked against his teeth when he was trying to talk. More than once I wanted to call in and have someone suggest he take the frigging thing out of his mouth to do interviews.

With Torts I wonder if we would no longer get live interview. All that bleeping.

Hearing that through the grapevine word has leaked out that Tippet wants to stay with the team no matter where it is but that a new contract will depend upon who owns the team. He'll get a new contract he just doesn't know from whom yet but word has filtered down that his preference, much like Doan, is to stay with the club so I think he is almost out of the running. Not sure based upon this if the Canucks will wait much longer.
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya I was getting tired of the laughing frenchman who always seemed to be sucking an ice cube during his interviews. I swear all you could hear was it clicked against his teeth when he was trying to talk. More than once I wanted to call in and have someone suggest he take the frigging thing out of his mouth to do interviews.

With Torts I wonder if we would no longer get live interview. All that bleeping.

Hearing that through the grapevine word has leaked out that Tippet wants to stay with the team no matter where it is but that a new contract will depend upon who owns the team. He'll get a new contract he just doesn't know from whom yet but word has filtered down that his preference, much like Doan, is to stay with the club so I think he is almost out of the running. Not sure based upon this if the Canucks will wait much longer.
At least it's better than another soap opera out of Phoenix which leaves us in suspense until we get the boner ending. As I've said before, good coach but not a good fit for Vancouver.

Guess the only thing holding things up is the usual Gillis deliberate, careful and considered approach to doing anything. Appreciate his candor towards a decision on which his career hinges, but the suspense is starting to wear on me. I'm starting not to care who it is among the final candidates. Pick somebody already!! :crazy:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: If you take away the cup win ? Why should that be taken away ?
Because a single Cup victory have often caused GMs and fans to believe that a Cup winning coach is a good coach. Tortorella's teams have lost in the first round or missed the playoffs 7 out of 10 seasons. That's a terrible playoff record for a coach. If having ONE Cup win is all that matters, guys like Keenan and Crawford should be frontrunners for NHL coaching positions.

Topper wrote: LOL

AV's playoff record smells like roses if you add a cup win.

LOL
Not if the Cup win replaces the Cup finals lost.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

FAN wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: If you take away the cup win ? Why should that be taken away ?
Because a single Cup victory have often caused GMs and fans to believe that a Cup winning coach is a good coach. Tortorella's teams have lost in the first round or missed the playoffs 7 out of 10 seasons. That's a terrible playoff record for a coach. If having ONE Cup win is all that matters, guys like Keenan and Crawford should be frontrunners for NHL coaching positions.
Conversely, if you take away his worst result then he's gotten his team into the playoffs eight out of eleven times and past the first round in four out of eight playoff appearances (and past the second round in two out of those).

If you take away his worst result and his partial seasons then you have seven playoff appearances in nine full seasons as coach, with the majority of his playoff appearances (and nearly half his seasons coaching) extending past the first round.

Having a cup ring isn't the be-all, end-all of evaluating a coach but once you start taking it away you're opening the door to all kinds of other manipulation which kind of undermines the point of looking at a coach's track record.

IMO Tortorella deserves some credit for the ascendance of the Lightning, as does Jay Feaster (sort of) and of course the players themselves.

The New York Rangers were also ascendant under Torts until Glen Sather blew his wad on a bunch of big names (shocker) and really hurt the team's depth.. even still they got into the second round and lost to the eventual conference champs.

I don't think you can say he singlehandedly coached those teams to their successes but you also can't really pin the fall of the Tampa Bay Lightning (due to the salary cap and a mickey mouse ownership group) on him either.

He's got huge red flags as I've said but IMO failing to get past the first round of the playoffs with some of the teams he had is not one of them.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

With Tippett likely not becoming available I'm warming to the idea of Tortz. If only because the fireworks within the media ought to be fun. But he does get the most out of his players it seems to me. Some love him for it and others hate him for it. In the case of Brad Richards it appears it can be both!

Likely wouldn't go too wrong with Stevens either to tell you the truth. Presumably he learned something during his 3+ year stint as a head coach, though even in the AHL his teams seemed to either excel or flame out.

Really what I'm saying is my list is:

(1) Tippett

(2) Everyone else

And (1) ain't available.