How about this then....

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

How about this then....

Post by donlever »

Don't know if this will work for a thread but thought I'd give it a shot and didn't want it to get lost amongst the others...

Clearly we need change.

Clearly we need a new direction.

Clearly we need new players.

Clearly our farm isn't offering up enough at this time.

Our system is apparently going to be more d oriented.

Bold moves has been the hot button topic for 5 years now.

Want to make a bold move?

Trade Luongo AND Schneider.

Teams pick up tier II (not regarded as the "elite") goalies all the time (Anderson, Niemi, Bobrovsky) or guys getting their second kicks at it (Emery) with resounding success.

Bring in a capable, (or even young, Jonathan Bernier, Neuvirth for instance) netminder and use our 11 million dollars worth of assets to solidify our lineup.
DeLevering since 1999.
herb
CC Legend

Re: How about this then....

Post by herb »

Boom.

Love it. If for nothing else than the entertainment value it would bring. The Canucks may not entertain us in the playoffs, but boy would they entertain us for months if not years if they made this move!

If Schneider is the guy who would get us the 2nd or 3rd overall pick in this year's draft, boy would I be tempted to move him.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

donlever wrote:Don't know if this will work for a thread but thought I'd give it a shot and didn't want it to get lost amongst the others...

Clearly we need change.

Clearly we need a new direction.

Clearly we need new players.

Clearly our farm isn't offering up enough at this time.

Our system is apparently going to be more d oriented.

Bold moves has been the hot button topic for 5 years now.

Want to make a bold move?

Trade Luongo AND Schneider.

Teams pick up tier II (not regarded as the "elite") goalies all the time (Anderson, Niemi, Bobrovsky) or guys getting their second kicks at it (Emery) with resounding success.

Bring in a capable, (or even young, Jonathan Bernier, Neuvirth for instance) netminder and use our 11 million dollars worth of assets to solidify our lineup.
Aye Lad, it's a booooold moove....can we move them back to the old Colosseum while we're at it? :eh:

No one is un-tradable then and it's a complete rebuild?
Unlike the loser Laugh fans I would fully support a shit team for 5 years if it meant drafting in the top 5 during that era...
We might be running out of options...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Arachnid wrote:
Why would it have to be this?

Do we HAVE TO employ Luongo or Schneider to succeed?

Like I said, mid to upper tier non-elite goalies move around and find success all the time in this league.

Why not for us?

Find a guy for a year, or two, I named a couple already, how about the Russian kid from Boston...whatever...to transition to Lack.

And assumingly by trading those two the assets returned would result in the team being far from in re-build mode.
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

It would be interesting, to be sure.

Are those "stop you in your tracks" offers still out there for Schneider, and what does that even mean?

Then there is Luongo, maybe tant is right and he just has to be moved. If not, what is his trade value at this point, does he even fit a "trade both your goalies for a king's ransom" scenario or would we be taking someone else problem back (or dumping him for a handful of picks)?

I'd look long and hard at something like this if it got us some high end talent in return, we have enough "pretty good" on this roster already.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

dbr wrote:
Are those "stop you in your tracks" offers still out there for Schneider, and what does that even mean?
Don't know.

But.

Say (hypothetical, theoretical yes) Bryz is done in Philly and Snider allows Holmgren to buy him out.

What does Philly offer up in their group of talented forwards for a Schneider/Edler package.

They'd have a Schneider/Mason combo in goal at a lower cap hit than Ilya.

We can start with Couterier and Simmonds which lowers our average age, finds a center, helps our future with the required size and tenacity thrown in, lowers our cap....
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote: Want to make a bold move?
YES!
donlever wrote: Trade Luongo AND Schneider.
NO!

:drink:

Always a pleasure Donald....
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Strangelove wrote:
NO!

:drink:

Always a pleasure Donald....
lol

Doctah in da house...
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Donny I liked the framework of this plan much better:
donlever wrote: Trade 'em both, among other "key" personnel.

Fire the coach and his staff.

Suck it up and rework the organization. Get younger, bigger, meaner.

Sedin Sedin Kassian (just fukin do it and live with it it'll be best for all 3 of those guys)

blank Kesler Jensen

Higgins blank Hansen

blank blank blank

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Tanev

Asshole Corrado

Luongo

Back up

Use Schneider, Edler, Burrows, Shcroeder, Ballard et cetera to fill in your blanks. The first 3 should garner some pretty decent assets to get the process started.
Except keep Schneids, Lou wants out.

And I'd go with:

Sedin Sedin Kassian (just fukin do it and live with it it'll be best for all 3 of those guys)

A$$HOLE Kesler Jensen

Higgins A$$HOLE Hansen

Lain Gaunce A$$HOLE

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Tanev

Asshole Corrado

:thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Strangelove wrote:Donny I liked the framework of this plan much better:

:thumbs:
Yeah, that plan was what I figured we could be looking seriously at.

The Luongo Schneider thing just struck me as bold so I threw it out there for shits and giggles to get a feel for peoples thoughts on the matter and see if it would generate discussion.

It's what I (used to) do dontcha know.
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

donlever wrote:
dbr wrote:
Don't know.

But.

Say (hypothetical, theoretical yes) Bryz is done in Philly and Snider allows Holmgren to buy him out.

What does Philly offer up in their group of talented forwards for a Schneider/Edler package.

They'd have a Schneider/Mason combo in goal at a lower cap hit than Ilya.

We can start with Couterier and Simmonds which lowers our average age, finds a center, helps our future with the required size and tenacity thrown in, lowers our cap....
Yeah I said it elsewhere, I can't get the thought (fantasy) of a mega blockbuster with the Flyers out of my head.

Lotta gritty young kids with size and skill on that roster. Normally that's exactly the type of player they are loathe to give up but they've done it before (Downie for Carle) to address a need. If they are getting back impact players of the likes of Edler, maybe a Ryan Kesler under the right circumstances, an elite starting goaltender that doesn't spook the no fun types in front office..
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

donlever wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Why would it have to be this?

Do we HAVE TO employ Luongo or Schneider to succeed?

Like I said, mid to upper tier non-elite goalies move around and find success all the time in this league.

Why not for us?

Find a guy for a year, or two, I named a couple already, how about the Russian kid from Boston...whatever...to transition to Lack.

And assumingly by trading those two the assets returned would result in the team being far from in re-build mode.
Methinks you have forgotten just how long it took to get a legitimate numero uno 'tender to this town and now we have 2 of them....seems if we play that game again we best go All In!

Lack is a good one, maybe we keep Schnieds a year or two more...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Arachnid wrote: Methinks you have forgotten just how long it took to get a legitimate numero uno 'tender to this town and now we have 2 of them....seems if we play that game again we best go All In!

Lack is a good one, maybe we keep Schnieds a year or two more...
Nope, but I addressed this when I said I look at Anderson, Niemi, Bobrovsky and see guys who were not universally highly regarded as legit numero unos and turned into same for their new clubs.

I hear tell of a guy like Fasth come into Anaheim this year and play well.

Elliot is another.

Apparently goalies are out there to be found and clearly having two great ones is doing us not much good all things considered.
DeLevering since 1999.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I've thrown the same idea out every now and again the past year or so.

It would be exciting to be sure.

You have to be sure you get a #1 though that is equivalent or better and damn that's a tough task. no one on the open market. Not many who would be traded.

Smith is about the only guy and it is debateable if he is actually near that same level.

but as you say they can come out of nowhere so you never know.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

There are only a handful of players on this team that I would consider at this point untradeable.

Kesler, Kassian and Hansen up front. Prospects Jensen and Gaunce as well. The Sedins could be a good second line if we built a new first line around Kesler. We would need at least one big, high-end-talented winger for him.

On the blue line, I wouldn't move Garrison, Hamhuis, Tanev or Corrado. I would move Edler only if we are replacing him somehow with a true #1.

Schneider is totally untradeable IMO. Lack should be kept around for at least another season as well.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society