Which Free Agents Should Gillis Shoot For

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Which Free Agents Should Gillis Shoot For

Post by sagebrush »

Burmistrov (RFA) would add centre depth & youth. Defensively responsible, good skating & stickhandling, but needs to add some heft. A good distributor, needs a sniper to pass to (could the Kesler centre/wing experiment succeed ?). Word is, he wants out of the peg.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

If I were Gillis, I'd get rid of the dead weight (Lu and Ballard for the most part), dont re-sign guys like Raymond, Lappy, Alberts, Barker, Ebbett, Sestito. Sign RFAs Weise and the young guys, Schroeder and Tanev.

Then I'd go out and spend my cap space on guys to fill out the lineup, guys like Hendricks, Nystrom, Torres, etc who are damn hard to play against and have some jam. You might even have enough cash left over to sign a $2 or $3 million dollar winger or center, if you want to. There are enough young scoring wingers coming soon or close to breaking out, it's center ice and grit that are needed, along with clearing out the deadweight.

Don't sign a very expensive free agent, trade for a guy if you want somebody else but it's too costly to sign guys to $4 or $5 million deals, and there's not enough cap space to go around unless major surgery is completed.

No idea what Gillis will get for Lu and Ballard, likely a couple of pics and perhaps a depth guy or two.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
SKYO wrote:If you're going for high priced centers, I'd much rather have the playoff superstar Briere, small and slightly injury prone, but come playoffs this guy is money, a Conn Smythe trophy type.
And unlike Derek Roy, DB is a sniper!
Yeah, briere does step up in the playoffs, but I think richards is a few years younger and hasn't really had any injury problems. He actually has a conn-smythe under his belt too.
Has it been pointed out that Vancouver fans would be beside themselves if Richards were a Canuck with his record this year??
I'm mean barely avoid a sweep with a sedin in the press box?
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Richards is 33.

Briere is 35.

Richards contract is as bad as Lagongos.

Richards has a whole helluva lot to prove next year for many to believe he is not on a downward crash and burn spiral.

No thanks to either of those guys.

Smaller, older and slower.

Blech.
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

donlever wrote: Blech.
The word you're looking for is "next"!

I was thinking Blake Wheeler for Kesler's wing. Send Edler over there for Blake and a first in 2015.

Ideally Evander but I don't think he's going anywhere.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Aaronp18 wrote: The word you're looking for is "next"!
Blechxt?
DeLevering since 1999.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Blake Wheeler would be great. I'd do Edler straight up for that trade.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Edler has great trade value and he's a big pussy.

Yeah I say trade the hell outta him.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I'm not so ready to give up on Edler - I do believe we saw a contract-year bump, and a typical post-contract hangover. We saw the same thing from Bieksa and its extremely common.

I think Burmistrov is the kind of return we could expect on Luongo (promising young forward without a contract and question marks).

As for Richards, I wouldn't touch that contract either. But as a free agent potentially willing to take less money due to the ongoing cheques from NYR I would love to have him.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Agreed DL.

I'd rather MG concentrate on underdog UFA's this July, solidifying our depth with *quality* players for our 3rd/4th lines and defense...meaning no Barker or Ebbett types.

Fix the top 6 forwards via trade, similar to that Schenn for JVR type swap...Edler for Bobby Ryan!
seems the Ducks could go for that, and we finally/hopefully get some help for the Kesler line, which ultimately helps free up the Sedin line. :thumbs:

Our defense is deep enough to handle the loss of Edler imo, Garrison seems to be getting better, and Tanev can step it up.
There's also other possible trades to come or UFA moves to help with the loss of Edler as well.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

ESQ wrote:I'm not so ready to give up on Edler.
For me it's not so much about giving up on Edler, but I think at 27 years old and over 400 NHL games what you see is what you get with the Eagle. He's a premiere offensive defenseman with a fantastic shot and great offensive vision. He's also mediocre defensively, soft, cannot play the right side at all, doesn't play with any edge and has a bummed back.

I say trade while his stock is high and get some help up front, which is clearly needed desperately. Hamhuis and Garrison are fine as our two top four lefties, Tanev is coming into his own and has shown he can handle top four minutes, Bieksa is serviceablo and Corrado should be with the Canucks next year. With cap challenges looming, it doesn't make sense to have a $4M+ guy on the 3rd pairing, and for crying out loud let's not have any more defencemen uncomfortably playing on their off side, especially ones who have proven to struggle in such a role, if we can avoid it.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

herb wrote:
For me it's not so much about giving up on Edler, but I think at 27 years old and over 400 NHL games what you see is what you get with the Eagle. He's a premiere offensive defenseman with a fantastic shot and great offensive vision. He's also mediocre defensively, soft, cannot play the right side at all, doesn't play with any edge and has a bummed back.
Obviously Edler had a tough year but how do replace 50+ points from the back end?

Edler will bounce back
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote:I'm not so ready to give up on Edler - I do believe we saw a contract-year bump, and a typical post-contract hangover. We saw the same thing from Bieksa and its extremely common.
Ok, the contract-year bump and post-contract hangover explain this shortened season.....

How do you account for 2011-12?

How do you account for the up and down play we watched in 2008-09 and 2009-10? It's the same shit we see now.

Did you notice how his numbers seemed to drop a little when Garrison started getting a bit of time on the number one PP unit?

Edler is a waste. Bieksa has brain farts, but at least Bieksa can be a prick on the ice and show some emotion.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Vader wrote:
herb wrote:
Obviously Edler had a tough year but how do replace 50+ points from the back end?

Edler will bounce back
For starters, Edler has never recorded 50 points in his career. He scored 49 points in 2011-12 but was a complete disaster defensively.

How do you replace his points? Put his replacement on the ice with the Sedins all the time just like he was.

Hamhuis and Bieksa both recorded 37 and 44 points in the same season.....they weren't out on the PP with the Sedins all the time.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

To me it's not about giving up on Edler but it is about landing a true top six who can provide needed secondary scoring. Edler just may be that piece to get that. It won't be about cap either because what comes back will be similar cap.

Defensive injuries worry me though as we are not too deep. I like Edler but I think any number of teams would trade some good pieces to get a player like him locked up.
The only HW the Canucks need