Which Free Agents Should Gillis Shoot For

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Which Free Agents Should Gillis Shoot For

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Who will be the first to flip the switch? Kassian, Booth or Ballard? Players who will be something they are not, good hockey players for this team.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

RoyalDude wrote:Who will be the first to flip the switch? Kassian, Booth or Ballard? Players who will be something they are not, good hockey players for this team.
Excellent, positive contribution. Maybe you should flip the switch and turn your computer off.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

David Clarkson
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

ClamRussel wrote:David Clarkson
I second that. Whatever it takes. Goal scoring asshole? Exactly what we need!

Gillis wants to make a bold move ... sign Clarkson. Cap space will be a problem but if he gets a buyout or two, deals Luongo, etc. He can make it happen.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:David Clarkson
I second that. Whatever it takes. Goal scoring asshole? Exactly what we need!

Gillis wants to make a bold move ... sign Clarkson. Cap space will be a problem but if he gets a buyout or two, deals Luongo, etc. He can make it happen.
What I find interesting about Clarkson is that he was never drafted yet had a very succesful season. This is why unless you draft in the top 3 positions you don't know what your going to get and it is all about player development within the system.

Another HUGE reason why I am glad AV is gone, he is not a coach who can develop a player. I dont this put this all on him as the NHL coach needs to be in sync with the AHL coach and work together but the responsability lies on AV. Last season when we had the division wrapped up Feb we never once saw time increased for the young guys or even give them a chance.

I hope the new coach does a better job on this.

I also have very little belief in how teams are ranked for prospects, the way some of the prospects are ranked is worse that how TSN decides the power rankings of the NHL teams.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cornuck wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Who will be the first to flip the switch? Kassian, Booth or Ballard? Players who will be something they are not, good hockey players for this team.
Excellent, positive contribution. Maybe you should flip the switch and turn your computer off.
:lol: Yes the dude is a very bitter man these days. Hopefully his life isn't anything like his onscreen persona . Probably screams at the tv, drivers in traffic, little kids, old people etc. He needs to get back to being cool, smoke some hrb and start chillin like a villain.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Cornuck wrote:
LOL best post of the off season so far.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Reefer2 wrote:Another HUGE reason why I am glad AV is gone, he is not a coach who can develop a player.
How many fucking times do you need it drilled into your head.

Bieksa
Kesler
Burrows
Raymond
Hansen
Edler
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

What the Sedin's need is for us to have a strong 2nd line scoring threat with a good 3rd line presence and the ability to also score. Give them that and you give them the room on the ice to play with anyone. Also on o bigger ice surface they have more room to dazzle so I don't think what they are doing at the World's translates to the NHL without secondary scoring.
The only HW the Canucks need
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Topper wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Another HUGE reason why I am glad AV is gone, he is not a coach who can develop a player.

Bieksa
Kesler
Burrows
Raymond
Hansen
Edler
Add
Schneider
Tanev

FWIW Hodgson was fairly productive in sheltered minutes...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Vader wrote:
Topper wrote:

Bieksa
Kesler
Burrows
Raymond
Hansen
Edler
Add
Schneider
Tanev

FWIW Hodgson was fairly productive in sheltered minutes...
Not to mention Corrado most recently. I think this notion is a total myth as he really only demands young players to be held defensively accountable.
The Coilers are the other end of the spectrum...the on-ice results speak for themselves unless you argue they are the more successful franchise due to the number of young, up-and-coming players allowed to fail their way out of the playoffs every year... :eh:
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

And to add to that UDL, if the Oilers make the playoffs five years in a row and win a couple Presidents trophies and make the finals it will be because Steve Tambellini built that club with all of those great draft picks. Forget the fact his team was hot garbage for five years, he built that team damn it.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Vader wrote:FWIW Hodgson was fairly productive in sheltered minutes...
I'd bet money that if Cody wasn't being pumped for a dump, his lack of defensive awareness would have had him in suit and tie or a Wolves uniform.

AV never coddled a young forward he coddled Cody.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Not to mention Corrado most recently. I think this notion is a total myth as he really only demands young players to be held defensively accountable.
AV can develop defensemen but he can't develop offensive forwards. The forwards he gave special treatment to were the forwards who played for him in the AHL. A year ago, management was still talking about Hansen's "potential" to score 20 goals. I'm not even sure you can even call Raymond as an offensive forward AV developed in hindsight. Raymond's totals this season are virtually identical to what he put up in his regular season. Take away his one good season and Raymond hasn't made any progress. All other forwards got their start as checkers and was given enough ice time to evolve into offensive players.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

FAN wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Not to mention Corrado most recently. I think this notion is a total myth as he really only demands young players to be held defensively accountable.
AV can develop defensemen but he can't develop offensive forwards. The forwards he gave special treatment to were the forwards who played for him in the AHL. A year ago, management was still talking about Hansen's "potential" to score 20 goals. I'm not even sure you can even call Raymond as an offensive forward AV developed in hindsight. Raymond's totals this season are virtually identical to what he put up in his regular season. Take away his one good season and Raymond hasn't made any progress. All other forwards got their start as checkers and was given enough ice time to evolve into offensive players.
Burrows and Kesler likely prove this theory wrong.

Raymond being a feather who struggles in physical games is hardly the coaches fault. In fact, he gave MR way more top minutes than I ever wanted to see in big games. This failure isn't anything to do with coach Vinyo

Hansen has shown some skill from the 3rd line and is one of maybe 2 or 3 bottom 6 that will still be around after this summer.

Kassian, Hodgson, Schroeder,etc haven't earned top minutes. Period. I can't see how this is debatable
If you need air...call it in