Should Gillis Trade Alexander Edler?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: Should Gillis Trade Alexander Edler?

Post by Rumsfeld »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: Well, look at ot this way. Edler plus our lousy 1st round pick is not even CLOSE to being enough to land Weber. Especially given Edler's season.

I'm sure Kesler has excellent trade value so if you added him in you might get Weber plus a throw-in... but then we just have an even bigger hole to plug.

Honestly, I know he's a dick but out of all our forwards Kesler is the guy I'd say we HAVE to hang on to, at least for a season. We haven't seen him play healthy and with a training camp in a long time, and he'll be motivated to prove some shit to folks this year. Plus his contract is pretty affordable.
Agreed that Kesler is our most dynamic forward but...if you have a shot at SW, you do what it takes.

Filip Forsberg is a young, dynamic winger/centre who would be a downgrade admittedly but with Keslers' recent health concerns I feel this is the best time to move him. The way Kes plays will have him in suit and tie more often the older he gets. Add in the dickhead factor and I just feel this is the time to maximize return on him and put our resources into a different asset, one more respected and dynamic at his position.
That's all fine but like I said, we'd have to give up more to land Weber AND Forsberg.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: Well, look at ot this way. Edler plus our lousy 1st round pick is not even CLOSE to being enough to land Weber. Especially given Edler's season.

I'm sure Kesler has excellent trade value so if you added him in you might get Weber plus a throw-in... but then we just have an even bigger hole to plug.

Honestly, I know he's a dick but out of all our forwards Kesler is the guy I'd say we HAVE to hang on to, at least for a season. We haven't seen him play healthy and with a training camp in a long time, and he'll be motivated to prove some shit to folks this year. Plus his contract is pretty affordable.
Agreed that Kesler is our most dynamic forward but...if you have a shot at SW, you do what it takes.

Filip Forsberg is a young, dynamic winger/centre who would be a downgrade admittedly but with Keslers' recent health concerns I feel this is the best time to move him. The way Kes plays will have him in suit and tie more often the older he gets. Add in the dickhead factor and I just feel this is the time to maximize return on him and put our resources into a different asset, one more respected and dynamic at his position.
That's all fine but like I said, we'd have to give up more to land Weber AND Forsberg.
Edler and Kesler > Weber.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Edler and Kesler > Weber.
That's not the hypothetical trade on the table here.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Ok...maybe/probably/likely...

:scowl:

I suppose in a hypothetical trade rant like this the sky's the limit. I could see Nashville looking at moving SW for the right price. He does carry a hell of a cap hit which has to sting but if they can get 2 top level players for what they pay 1 now, who knows.
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Forsberg will be a star in 2 to 3 years. He has elite hands and speed so it's just a matter of time. I wanted him since I saw him play in Washington so he's likely next to untouchable.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Forsberg will be a star in 2 to 3 years. He has elite hands and speed so it's just a matter of time. I wanted him since I saw him play in Washington so he's likely next to untouchable.
My bad, so it's Kesler, Edler, 1st for Weber and a prospect? Cool, I still say no.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
My bad, so it's Kesler, Edler, 1st for Weber and a prospect? Cool, I still say no.
It was actually Kesler, Edler and a 1st for Weber, Forsberg and Nashville's 1st which is fourth overall.

Meaning the worst case scenario is that the top three teams pick who they should and you get to choose between Barkov (6'3 Finn who garners comparisons to Joe Thornton) and Nichushkin (6'4 Russian who garners comparisons to Malkin).

David Poile would have to be suffering early onset dementia to pull the trigger on a deal like that.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

dbr wrote:David Poile would have to be suffering early onset dementia to pull the trigger on a deal like that.
Total wackadoo of a trade proposal.
2011..... the one that got away.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
dbr wrote:David Poile would have to be suffering early onset dementia to pull the trigger on a deal like that.
Total wackadoo of a trade proposal.
Well I like it :evil:

Sure it's out there but every now and then...

To be honest I thought they picked about 10 spots lower
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

"#Canes GM Rutherford says he would entertain offers for their number 5 pick if a trade involved them receiving a top 4 d-man."

How about a top 2 dman. 8-)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:"#Canes GM Rutherford says he would entertain offers for their number 5 pick if a trade involved them receiving a top 4 d-man."

Ballard it is then!
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:"#Canes GM Rutherford says he would entertain offers for their number 5 pick if a trade involved them receiving a top 4 d-man."

Ballard it is then!
Ballard and our 1st plus Lapierre for their 1st.

Then....

Edler, Schroeder, 5th overall pick, and Joslin, to Avs for SOB and 1st overall.

Get it done Mike.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Luongo, Edler and our First

To Florida For

2nd Overall, Jovo, Parros

Hi Nathan, welcome to Vancouver.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

It is the same guy who dealt a recent 3rd overall pick for Tim Gleason - although in hindsight he might have got the better player.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:

Ballard it is then!
dbr wrote: It is the same guy who dealt a recent 3rd overall pick for Tim Gleason - although in hindsight he might have got the better player.
Gleason, Ballard could have potential to be a Gleason sooo he should net us a 5th overall pick, good ideal hw!
:towel:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.