Should Gillis Trade Alexander Edler?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Should Gillis Trade Alexander Edler?

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You guys need to make up your mind. Edler is a shitty defenseman but he is so good that he can get us a very good return in a trade.

The whole Edler witch hunt kick that some of you are on is ringingly similar to the Bieksa witch hunt from a couple years ago when he was as good as gone prior to the Salo's blown achilles. Salo's achillies injury saved Gillis the moron from trading the right handed defenseman. How bad would Gillis look now?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

You guys.... you guys.... please specify and for myself I didn't say he was shitty, you made that up.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Orcasfan wrote:Mëds, you seem like a reasonably intelligent person, by most of your posts. So, I really am disappointed that you spout forth this nonsense:

Obviously, you've been listening to Don Cherry too much! I guess in your world, European players like Bure, Ovechkin, Franzen, Kronwall, Forsberg, Hasik, Yakupov, et all don't really count as "Europeans" because they show emotion on the ice! And, of course, guys like Sakic, Yzerman, (our own) Morrison, etc...these don't count as "Canadians" because they don't show enough emotion on the ice! Logically, from your premise, captains like Sakic (a good "Canadian" boy) are useless as captains because they don't get all emotional on the ice?

Honestly, I thought this stereotyping of Europeans (thank you Mr Cherry!) was over. Especially in Vancouver! So, Mëds, how about all your "Canadian" Canucks captains over the previous 4 decades - how many Cups have they won for the team? :hmmm:
Joe Sakic. 188 points in 172 playoff games. A minus-2.

Steve Yzerman: 185 points in 196 playoff games. A minus-5.

Peter Forsberg: 171 points in 151 playoff games. A plus-54.

Henrik Sedin: 74 points in 99 playoff games. A minus-15.

Daniel Sedin: 67 points in 96 playoff games. A minus-11.

I'm a little surprised.....shocked is a better word actually.....that you would even loosely compare Henrik and Daniel to Sakic, Forsberg, or Yzerman.

I won't say they got all emotional on the ice, but the difference was, THEY GOT IT DONE. I mean seriously, you just compared Hank and Danny to 3 hall of fame playoff beasts. 2 of them are Conn Smythe winners, who are also both in the top 10 ALL TIME NHL scoring leaders.

And none of those guys would have just stood there and let Brad Marchand speed bag them and not do anything.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Mëds wrote:
Orcasfan wrote:Mëds, you seem like a reasonably intelligent person, by most of your posts. So, I really am disappointed that you spout forth this nonsense:

Obviously, you've been listening to Don Cherry too much! I guess in your world, European players like Bure, Ovechkin, Franzen, Kronwall, Forsberg, Hasik, Yakupov, et all don't really count as "Europeans" because they show emotion on the ice! And, of course, guys like Sakic, Yzerman, (our own) Morrison, etc...these don't count as "Canadians" because they don't show enough emotion on the ice! Logically, from your premise, captains like Sakic (a good "Canadian" boy) are useless as captains because they don't get all emotional on the ice?

Honestly, I thought this stereotyping of Europeans (thank you Mr Cherry!) was over. Especially in Vancouver! So, Mëds, how about all your "Canadian" Canucks captains over the previous 4 decades - how many Cups have they won for the team? :hmmm:
Joe Sakic. 188 points in 172 playoff games. A minus-2.

Steve Yzerman: 185 points in 196 playoff games. A minus-5.

Peter Forsberg: 171 points in 151 playoff games. A plus-54.

Henrik Sedin: 74 points in 99 playoff games. A minus-15.

Daniel Sedin: 67 points in 96 playoff games. A minus-11.

I'm a little surprised.....shocked is a better word actually.....that you would even loosely compare Henrik and Daniel to Sakic, Forsberg, or Yzerman.

I won't say they got all emotional on the ice, but the difference was, THEY GOT IT DONE. I mean seriously, you just compared Hank and Danny to 3 hall of fame playoff beasts. 2 of them are Conn Smythe winners, who are also both in the top 10 ALL TIME NHL scoring leaders.

And none of those guys would have just stood there and let Brad Marchand speed bag them and not do anything.
Yeah, it's pretty shocking that someone could be that dumb.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote:You guys need to make up your mind. Edler is a shitty defenseman but he is so good that he can get us a very good return in a trade.

The whole Edler witch hunt kick that some of you are on is ringingly similar to the Bieksa witch hunt from a couple years ago when he was as good as gone prior to the Salo's blown achilles. Salo's achillies injury saved Gillis the moron from trading the right handed defenseman. How bad would Gillis look now?
Awright Dude, start naming names and share some evidence behind your assertions of this 'legion' of Edler-haters because I don't believe it's there. For some reason, you painted me as one but have yet to provide any proof that I said he was a shitty defenceman. Safe to say it's not quite the mob you're describing in your defence of keeping Edler around.

You're taking this tack that everybody who wants Edler traded does so because they think he's a crap defenceman. No doubt there are a couple who fit that bill, but the consensus I see is that Edler should be traded because he's the best asset Gillis can trade in terms of value coming back as well as the one significant trade that won't leave a gaping hole in the line-up outside of goal. Does he have flaws? Definitely. Will the organization miss him as much as dealing other parts of the core Gillis could trade? Not really, but that doesn't mean he's a shitty defenceman.

The Canucks are staring at a lot of payroll, a decreasing cap, and a team in dire need of significant change on the roster beyond just rotating role-players. Add in the NTCs most of the valuable roster players have and the fact that Edler's doesn't kick in until July and it's a no-brainer.

Go ahead and call this a witch-hunt if you want. Freedom of speech gives you an enshrined right to be wrong, however. 8-)
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

Nice try, Mëds. :lol: As you know, what I was doing with those various examples was to point out that, despite your Cherry-flavored prejudice, not all Europeans are "soft" on the ice, nor are all good "Canadian" boys "tough" or "gritty". And to think that Hank isn't "tough" just because he doesn't fight is a stone-age attitude. Luckily, not all Canadians share that attitude with you (with the exception of the legion of Cherry acolytes who believe that fighting is to hockey what hops is to beer!). :roll:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Orcasfan wrote:Nice try, Mëds. :lol: As you know, what I was doing with those various examples was to point out that, despite your Cherry-flavored prejudice, not all Europeans are "soft" on the ice, nor are all good "Canadian" boys "tough" or "gritty". And to think that Hank isn't "tough" just because he doesn't fight is a stone-age attitude. Luckily, not all Canadians share that attitude with you (with the exception of the legion of Cherry acolytes who believe that fighting is to hockey what hops is to beer!). :roll:
Hey! Leave beer out of this :evil:

and also...ALL Canadian players are tough macho dudes....the Frenchies however are pussies....('cept for that Claude dude...)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Lancer wrote: No doubt there are a couple who fit that bill,
LMAO...ya think, ya just maybe think? You know and I know Lance, that there are more than just a couple involved in the Edler witch hunt (sequel to the Bieksa witch hunt a couple years back) which brings justification to my post regarding Edler the overrated defenseman whom a lot here have developed a great case against pointing out every single flaw that only us few fans here have the privy to know about and yet know other teams whom may fit the bill to be interested in Edler don't have this kind of scouting knowledge on him like we do which is why he can get us a FANTASTIC, elite like return in a trade!

Edler witch hunters, make up your minds!
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

please fire players agent mike gillis so we can at least have some hope in the future...he is fucking terrible...
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:You know and I know Lance, that there are more than just a couple involved in the Edler witch hunt
Great. Name three.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

the Dogsalmon wrote:please fire players agent mike gillis so we can at least have some hope in the future...he is fucking terrible...
Maybe just try huffing the paint thinner instead of drinking it.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dbr wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:You know and I know Lance, that there are more than just a couple involved in the Edler witch hunt
Great. Name three.

I tell you what, you seem capable, go to page 1 of this thread and begin reading until u get here, you will surmise from having bear witness the Edler witch hunt of posters talking out of both sides of there mouths. I'd skip the Mëds posts as he is the leader of this mob mentality surrounding the Edler witch hunt
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Orcasfan wrote:Nice try, Mëds. :lol: As you know, what I was doing with those various examples was to point out that, despite your Cherry-flavored prejudice, not all Europeans are "soft" on the ice, nor are all good "Canadian" boys "tough" or "gritty". And to think that Hank isn't "tough" just because he doesn't fight is a stone-age attitude. Luckily, not all Canadians share that attitude with you (with the exception of the legion of Cherry acolytes who believe that fighting is to hockey what hops is to beer!). :roll:
Nice try? Lost me there.

No I didn't know what you were doing with those various examples. You threw them up there as a counter to my opinion that Europeans are softer players in general and few of them find that "playoff gear". Many of them simply do not battle through the heightened intensity that comes after the regular season ends. There are some exceptions.

For the record I don't consider Russian's to be European. Russian's are a completely different animal when it comes to hockey. They are, generally, either pure divas or sporadic animals, and almost without fail they are individualistic players who are in it for the fame and personal glory. Guys like Datsyuk, Larionov, Makarov, maybe even Ovechkin and Malkin, are in it to win. Bure was all about Pavel, and if his goals coincided with the teams then so much the better. He played with an edge.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:
Lancer wrote: No doubt there are a couple who fit that bill,
LMAO...ya think, ya just maybe think? You know and I know Lance, that there are more than just a couple involved in the Edler witch hunt (sequel to the Bieksa witch hunt a couple years back) which brings justification to my post regarding Edler the overrated defenseman whom a lot here have developed a great case against pointing out every single flaw that only us few fans here have the privy to know about and yet know other teams whom may fit the bill to be interested in Edler don't have this kind of scouting knowledge on him like we do which is why he can get us a FANTASTIC, elite like return in a trade!

Edler witch hunters, make up your minds!
I remember the casual Kev bashing from back then. I also remember being pissed off with his brain farts but generally supportive of keeping him around because he had a take no bullshit attitude that may on the team seemed to lack. It was his redeeming quality and still is.....although his recent comments regarding a "whip cracking coach" in the Province lead me to think he's been pacified and has become complacent.

Edler has some redeeming qualities, but they don't fit with the direction this team NEEDS to go. They may fit with the direction they CHOOSE to go.....and that will be a tragedy.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:
dbr wrote:
Great. Name three.

I tell you what, you seem capable, go to page 1 of this thread and begin reading until u get here, you will surmise from having bear witness the Edler witch hunt of posters talking out of both sides of there mouths. I'd skip the Mëds posts as he is the leader of this mob mentality surrounding the Edler witch hunt
I'm not going to reread the thread just to prove to you that the Edler "witch hunt" is a group of on, maybe two posters and that your characterization of the opinions of most others is, as usual, totally off the mark.

When you make ludicrous claims the burden of proving them is on you - of course I get that you have no interest in that.