Should Gillis Trade Alexander Edler?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Should Gillis Trade Alexander Edler?

Post by FAN »

The best time to trade Alexander Edler is at the draft, before Edler's NTC kicks in. I know Gillis doesn't believe in asking his players to waive their NTC/NMC, and maybe it's not Gillis style to sign a player to a long-term extension only to trade him before the extension kicks in, but I think Gillis should look into trading Edler.

Without a doubt, the best case scenario for the Canucks is for Edler to develop into a dominating #1 defenseman in the NHL. He is arguably the Canucks' most talented defensemen, he is young and has been consistently productive in the regular season (10+ goals 40+ points over 82 games). Edler is capable of logging a lot of minutes and has shown an ability to dominate physically, even in the playoffs. Elder has the talent to develop into a top pairing defenseman in the NHL. Unfortunately, that was the same argument for keeping Edler two years ago and nothing has changed except for the fact that he just signed an extension for 6 years (albeit through his prime years) at $5M a season with full NTC.

Simply put, Edler's development has stalled. I think he has even regressed. Two years ago in the playoffs, Edler showed his ability to physically dominate games. While Edler doesn't have a natural mean streak and so isn't expected to keep up his physical play over 82 games and the playoffs, the fact that he can turn up the physical intensity in the playoffs gave the Canucks hope that Edler can develop into a true #1 defenseman. But in the last two years, Edler has shown zero ability to carry a defensive pairing and hasn't shown chemistry with anyone on the team. The two guys he showed chemistry with were steady vets like Ohlund and Salo (those two made everyone better). Not only has Edler's play been inconsistent (which he has always been), he's somehow become more error prone, giving pucks away, and exhibiting poor defensive coverage and gap control. Despite being on the team's #1 PP and relatively productive (I think Garrison should be there), he doesn't look comfortable out there and you wonder why the PP sucks this year and two years ago AV thought Sammy was the better option.

What happened to him? He's been terrible the past two playoff seasons and in the three playoff games he's played this season, he been caught flat-footed more often than he's thrown punishing hits. He looks like an aging Ohlund out there without the experience. Grabbing hold of someone and tacking guys after the fact is what a guy like Albert does when he gets exposed.. not Edler.

Seriously, has Edler's pairing been the team's best pairing for any stretch of 10 games the past two seasons? Has he even been a physical force for one game in the playoffs the past two playoff years? This season he's a -5. Only Alberts is worse at a -7. All other defensemen have better +/- stats with Garrison being a +18. Curiously enough, Edler's +/- stats the past three seasons haven't been anything to write home about despite the Canucks having a good goal differential. Ya I know +/- stats never tell the full story, but we know Edler doesn't play the toughest minutes.

Edler's failure to carry a defensive pairing and his seeming lack of chemistry with anyone on the team is concerning. Hamhuis can play with anyone. Bieksa is best with Hamhuis and Garrison can play with anyone if he's playing on the left side. With Tanev and Corrado's emergence, Edler has actually become a difficult fit. Without Edler, the Canucks salary structure on defense would be a whole lot better (especially if Ballard is moved) Hamhuis can play with Bieksa and Tanev can play with Garrison. Corrado can develop on the third pairing. I honestly want Edler to succeed with the Canucks, but I'm seriously having my doubts. Edler can command a significant package in terms of youth and draft picks that will help secure the Canucks future. I don't think the Canucks will be hurt that much banking on Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa to not decline and Tanev and Corrado to continue their development.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Should Gillis Trade Alexander Edler?

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'd consider trading Bieksa ahead of Edler just because of age.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

ship both Bieksa and Edler out...both are very easily replaced...
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

the Dogsalmon wrote:ship both Bieksa and Edler out...both are very easily replaced...
Yeah totally, big minute defencemen that put up 40-50+ points are just growing on trees.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Benjo wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:ship both Bieksa and Edler out...both are very easily replaced...
Yeah totally, big minute defencemen that put up 40-50+ points are just growing on trees.

buddy...did you watch the goddamn series...these boys are being owned...i cheer for the logo on the front not the nameplate on the back...i have ZERO loyalties to any of these players(except Hank and Danny)...and yes you can easily find as good or better D-men than Bieksa and Edler...
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

This thread topic is stupid.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

ukcanuck wrote:This thread topic is stupid.
I think it's warranted.

Not saying I'm all for the idea just yet but its certainly worth exploring before his NTC kicks in in July.

We're getting swept in the first round; big changes have to be made.
2011..... the one that got away.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

RoyalDude wrote:I'd consider trading Bieksa ahead of Edler just because of age.
This will be twice this year RD but I agree.

I move Bieksa first but not just because of age but because unless he is playing Mitchell or Hamhuis he just isn't effective. Certainly I like his tenacity and how he plays with an edge what I don't like is his bad positioning, bad decisions and quite simply getting out muscled.

Edler I think you look at moving him to see what sort of return you can get but he's not an easy one to replace.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

ukcanuck wrote:This thread topic is stupid.
Why?

We have seen all we can from the guy and it is time to move on, a new place for him and something in return. Do it now before he becomes really over paid.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

the Dogsalmon wrote:
Benjo wrote:
i have ZERO loyalties to any of these players(except Hank and Danny)...
The two biggest playoff no shows right now?
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I think you evaluate every player and member of the coaching staff.

If there are cleary areas that can be improved upon or clearly need change, you do so. If that involves Alexander Edler, Alain Vigneault, Andrew Ebbett, Henrik Sedin or whoever, so be it.

To me, this group needs an injection of youth and an identity makeover. Find two top wingers to play with Ryan Kesler, and make that the number one line. Players we have who are tradeable and have significant value are Edler, Bieksa and Burrows.

Not a very likely outcome, but I'd love to be able to move wayyyyy up in this year's draft and snag us Drouin or Mackinnon.
Narg CC
CC Rookie

Post by Narg CC »

I think you evaluate everyone, but I really would like to see what a different coach could do with this lineup. Maybe a different coach would have been more supportive of Ballard, gotten him playing more to his potential, taking some minutes off Edler.. or maybe not. I do think the single biggest mistake was letting Ehrhoff go. If I remember correctly, the offense really started dominating when he was traded for. Edler can put up pretty good point totals, but offensively he's no Ehrhoff..

But if this is the window to move him, I'd certainly see what the interest is. No one should be safe on this team. Except for maybe the young guys, Corrado, Kassian, etc. I think if we are going to "re-tool", then from an asset-management perspective you have to look at trading Schneider.. but maybe I should move that to a different thread..
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

If Edler is the prime piece in a trade that nets a true impact forward up front or in back, why not? His value will never be bigger. You can still pitch his potential and his body of work, largely, would be enough start negotiations. Figure in his relatively reasonable salary, and he could be the biggest piece to move for the right reasons.

Just spitballin, but what if Edler and other pieces moved for a guy like Weber? There would have to be significant cap moved over and above Luongo's, but if Nashville ownership is still choking on Weber's pricetag and Gillis can offer up a cheaper replacement with some prospects (Schroeder anyone?) wouldn't Poile at least consider it in those circumstances? A little out there, but it's that kind of trade that would warrant Edler being moved.

Just a thought... :mex:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

I would seriously look into trading Edler + our 1st round pick to Carolina for the 5th overall pick, and then shipping the 5th overall pick with Luongo to Florida for the 2nd overall pick. Draft Nathan MacKinnon and boom, new franchise center.

Alternatively, try the same deal to Tampa for the 3rd overall pick and draft Jonathan Drouin.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

All I know is this, regarding who Gillis should trade. I have zero faith in this guy when it comes to trading. He is a players agent at heart, he overvalues players and from that gives them ridiculous contracts (Edler and Luongo) or doesn't mind taking on ridiculous contracts on overrated players (Ballard, Booth, Roya) and tends to over value players (luongo) he's trading. He shouldn't have quit his day job. I do not see this getting any better with the King Arrogance manning ship here unless he does the right thing, steps aside and becomes President like Kevin Lowe and lets a proper GM step into that position to start fixing the mess he made.

Personally, if I were Aqualini, I'd be calling Bonner and Hay and ask if they are interested in the GM and Coach job with the Canucks and if so, I'd fire everyone from Gillis, scouting department to the Coaching staff and let Bonner put his people in place. The guy is a smart GM and Hay is a good coach and know this city. But something tells me that Aqualini isn't this smart.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau