Should Gillis Trade Alexander Edler?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Should Gillis Trade Alexander Edler?

Post by Hockey Widow »

I don't think Edler is over paid at 5 million per based upon what other D men are getting and will get. He has a good cap and salary for sure. I also agree we don't have the bodies in the system to replace him and with trying to let Tanev continue to develop and perhaps Corrado we do need his experience.

Again the only way I trade Edler is if it is that proverbial home run. A top six, a third line centre and a good draft pick and or prospect. Short of that all we would be accomplishing would be to fill one hole up front and creating a larger one in the back end.

We all know the problem on the back end is that for some reason our lefties can't play as righties. Well, Garrison looked like he was going to be OK doing that. But if both Tanev and Corrado stick that problem is solved. Then its just a matter of the correct pairings.
The only HW the Canucks need
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Ideally either Garrison or Bieksa can become a stable partner for Edler. Edler is certainly not overpaid for his production and for what he is capable of bringing.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

As others have said, Edler's contract - given his age and production - is pretty damn good. He definitely can earn it. He brings a lot of valuable tools to the table.

This is exactly why he is Gillis' best trade asset!

Will we miss what he provides the team? Yes, to a decent extent. Having said that, he's not irreplaceable and the defence will not fall apart if he goes.

If Gillis doesn't want to trade him, I can understand that but I would like to know what 'bold moves' he has planned that wouldn't involve Edler. If he can get a true scoring 2nd liner and a 3rd line centre while keeping Edler and not poking more holes in the forward core or giving away what he has left on the farm or in picks, then he is a true magician.

I'm not trying to push the guy out the door, and I would hope Gillis only pulls the trigger on an Edler deal if he plugs those glaring holes in a credible fashion in the deal. Having said that, I'd love to hear any alternative viable 'bold moves' that wouldn't kill the team's depth elsewhere. Trading Edler makes the most sense to start to meaningfully change the character of this team, unless Gillis has some deals in the pipes that no one has cooked up yet.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

At this stage in his career, Edler is only as good as the D partner he has beside him. Unfortunately, Gillis has failed to find a suitable match for Edler, the teams best d-man, since the departure of Ehrhoff.

Edler is the total package on the blueline. He hasn't reached his potential yet, but I question whether he can/will with this current group. He needs a stabilizing right handed partner who will allow him to really flourish.

Perhaps a new coach/system will allow Edler to be the guy he was two years ago. Perhaps it's time for him to move onto the next chapter of his career. There is, however, little doubt he is the best asset this club has on the blueline, and one who would generate a great deal of interest in the coming weeks. A player of his calibre does not go on the market often, and he is the type of upper echelon defender you can build a blueline around.

If Gillis can land a top four pp-qb in the Luongo deal, I think dealing Edler would land a significant piece to fill the void in the top six.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

A blue line with Tanev and Corrado will be waaaay too small and wimpy. We can dress one or the other but both wouldn't be a good idea.

I think this team needs at least 1 big body, tough as nails d man back there. A couple would be even better. Mike Greene and Robin Regehr come to mind...

If Edler gets traded and not replaced we will have the smallest d in the league...
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
If Edler gets traded and not replaced we will have the smallest d in the league...
You mean, Jason Garrison and the 5 dwarves (Bieksa, Hamhius, Ballard, Corrado, Tanev) can't stand up to the new NHL where BIG is in?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:Short of that all we would be accomplishing would be to fill one hole up front and creating a larger one in the back end.
Sort of like the hole we created at centre in the Kassian/Hodgson trade?

I can hear the howls now after an Edler trade - "We need a good young top 4 defenseman with size and skill!"
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

We have three top two D men who don't do so well on the right side.

Meanwhile, we only have one top 2 D man, who plays best on the right side. It doesn't make sense. It's a bad allocation of resources.

What does make sense is either: (A) trading one of the (3) top 2 left side guys for the equivalent on the right side, or (B) trading for help up front.

Luongo & Edler to NYI for Niederreiter, Hamonic, + prospect. :drink:
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

It's a calculated risk, it's like asking what if Hank or Kesler gets injured, well we're fucked and the seemingly more and more used quote (I'll be happy if we come out of this .500, during such and such absence) but if everyone is healthy, boom we go on a tear.

So if we do swap Edler for someone like Ryan. :thumbs:

We have Luongo for sure, plus Booth, Ballard and maybe Burrows to possibly trade if need be for a 3rd line center and a #4 RIGHT side dman.

I'd rather keep Hansen, but he probably has high value due to his feisty, relentless, speedy forechecking and affordable contract, but he can bring something decent back as well.

So there are many options to help ease the loss of trading Edler for our #1 need in star power - scoring depth.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

sagebrush wrote:We have three top two D men who don't do so well on the right side.

Meanwhile, we only have one top 2 D man, who plays best on the right side. It doesn't make sense. It's a bad allocation of resources.

What does make sense is either: (A) trading one of the (3) top 2 left side guys for the equivalent on the right side, or (B) trading for help up front.

Luongo & Edler to NYI for Niederreiter, Hamonic, + prospect. :drink:
Not much harm in having three strong pairings, however having four lefties who fit the description is definitely an issue.

Unfortunately, lacking righties is a problem most teams in the league have.. last time I looked less than 40% of defensemen in the league shoot right.

That being said, if/when Corrado makes the team we'll have Bieksa, Tanev and Frankie down the right side.. the makings of a balanced defense corps for the first time in a long time.

(Whether they are big enough, or ought to be weakened to strengthen the forward group, or what have you, is another matter.)
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

^^^
The right side D has been an issue for years. Corrado brings hope, but he's not ready to take on top fwd lines, & Tanev has struggled against the same.

When ever Bieksa plays under par, due to injury or whatever, the Canucks are screwed. Ability to cover for injuries often determines playoff success. It was our undoing in 2011.

If we develop excess strength on the right (Corrado), that will be an opportunity to make another hockey trade.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

RoyalDude wrote:
I can hear the howls now after an Edler trade - "We need a good young top 4 defenseman with size and skill!"
Kind of how you'll be howling how Gillis should be fired for not trading Edler for help in the top 6 when he had a chance.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Tanev has struggled? I didn't watch much hockey this year but I know at the end of last year he played with Dan Hamhuis against the other team's top players and was on for zero goals against over eight games or so, which is pretty darn good even if he is a bit of an offensive black hole at this point. Looking at the numbers for this year Tanev did well from a Corsi perspective and was among the lowest GA/60 for Canucks defensemen ..

He may never match up well against big forwards but as long as he continues to play a smart positional game he's got the reach and the skill to remain a factor - and being paired with a bigger, stronger parter like Jason Garrison or Edler would help.

Putting Tanev and Garrison together could make a great defensive pairing, Hamhuis can continue to babysit Bieksa and the third pairing (assuming no Edler blockbuster) could be Edler and Corrado.. shelter them from touch matchups and don't make Corrado think about much other than covering his responsibilities in his own zone and they could do well benefitting from mismatches like Christian Ehrhoff's pairing used to.

We do have some indications from Gillis that the Canucks are going to let their younger players make some mistakes early on in the NHL in the hopes that they improve through the season, so we might well end up seeing something like this. (Although obviously with a new coach coming, who knows whats in store.)
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

For the most part, I like Tanev's game, but there were times late in the season, against the big, top lines where he wore down & lost confidence. Playoff hockey requires the ability to stand up to this.

Otherwise, his positioning & composure tends to be good (after getting over a rough start last season). There were times when watching Tanev provided pure comedy. Not his play, but the expression on his face when playing with Ballard, & Ballard drifted out of position.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

sagebrush wrote:
Is it totally against the laws of hockey physics to have 3 solid pairings of defenseman? 3 Righties in Bieksa, Tanev and Corrado to go with 3 lefties in Hamhius, Edler and Garrison all sharing the same amount of ice time and give the most to the pairing that are playing the best at the moment of the game? The two rightie rookies in Corrado and Tanev pair up with two experienced lefties? What's not to like?

As for Corrado, we have no choice he pretty much gets thrown in to the fire due to our cap situation and to Gillis stating that he is going with the kids next season. He fits exactly what Gillis is spewing, so there you have it, the missing rightie.