Roster Questions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If an overhaul of this team is needed, which of the following players who should MG shop around...

Hank and Danny
12
7%
Edler
44
25%
Booth
45
26%
Higgins
8
5%
Bieksa
15
9%
Ballard
45
26%
Hamhuis
2
1%
None of the above
2
1%
 
Total votes : 173

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:26 pm

CorranHorn wrote:Is it unreasonable to want a "kid" line this coming season. I know they're young, but look at Montreal and other teams that have young kids contributing.

I know the ELC is something to consider but this cap world demands some ELC players playing significant roles.



No reason at all except winning, coaching, fan intolerance, press. Other than those no reason. :D

Joking aside, I would be fine with a kid line if they were contributing. I think we all know that we will see a few ECL contracts this season. Last year the excuse was because it was a shortened season. Well, now MG can say he is re-tooling, re-setting, tweaking or whatever. But the time has come for MG to get some of these guys playing and learning.


He said yesterday he thinks Lain is real close to making the team? Based upon what I'm not sure, perhaps desperate wishful thinking?
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3710
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Topper » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:49 pm

So the Aqualung family is praised for allowing GMMG to spend to the cap ceiling, but GMMG is criticized for doing so.

Odd.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4699
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:00 pm

Topper wrote:So the Aqualung family is praised for allowing GMMG to spend to the cap ceiling, but GMMG is criticized for doing so.

Odd.



No no, I don't criticize him for spending to the cap. I think he has to learn to get out from under. Chicago always seems to be able to do it. Let go a handful of players every year but keep the core and keep on going. Perhaps its more his asset management or player assessment I am beginning to question.

I actually think he has done a good job staying within the cap but I think it came to roost this year. Of course the cap going down did not help him. I dunno, maybe I'm just staring to see he should have clean this up a long time ago.

I'm actually happy today with how he has cleaned up this mess. Just wish it was sooner i guess.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3710
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Roster Questions

Postby SKYO » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Topper wrote:So the Aqualung family is praised for allowing GMMG to spend to the cap ceiling, but GMMG is criticized for doing so.
Odd.

No no, I don't criticize him for spending to the cap. I think he has to learn to get out from under. Chicago always seems to be able to do it. Let go a handful of players every year but keep the core and keep on going. Perhaps its more his asset management or player assessment I am beginning to question.

I'm actually happy today with how he has cleaned up this mess. Just wish it was sooner i guess.


Yeah it's too bad MG doesn't hire a winning senior advisor, as Bowman has his dad and he makes the best shrewd moves to acquire the right mix of skill and grit to surround Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith & Seabrook every year.

*And if the Canucks were to go by the Chicago model, we'd have to deal both Burrows and Booth for one great sniping winger like a Hossa type.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3309
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Roster Questions

Postby CorranHorn » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:[
No reason at all except winning, coaching, fan intolerance, press. Other than those no reason. :D

Joking aside, I would be fine with a kid line if they were contributing. I think we all know that we will see a few ECL contracts this season. Last year the excuse was because it was a shortened season. Well, now MG can say he is re-tooling, re-setting, tweaking or whatever. But the time has come for MG to get some of these guys playing and learning.


He said yesterday he thinks Lain is real close to making the team? Based upon what I'm not sure, perhaps desperate wishful thinking?


I would say that it's not out of the question to have kids to learn by fire these days. I just want to be able to see a line that will give there all without knowing any better.
User avatar
CorranHorn
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Spock » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:28 am

So if Ballard is bought out, Canucks still need a bunch of players signed - and will have money to pay Tanev.

My current expected Canucks roster in September 2013

Forward Lines
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Weise - Gaunce - Jensen
Sestito

Defense
Bieksa-Hamhuis
Edler - Garrison
Tanev - Corrado
? bum
? bum

Goaltenders
Luongo
Lack
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one."

Spock of Vulcan
Stardate 2476.8
User avatar
Spock
CC Rookie
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:11 am
Location: Planet Vulcan, City: Reno

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Meds » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:13 am

Spock wrote:So if Ballard is bought out, Canucks still need a bunch of players signed - and will have money to pay Tanev.

My current expected Canucks roster in September 2013

Forward Lines
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Weise - Gaunce - Jensen
Sestito

Defense
Bieksa-Hamhuis
Edler - Garrison
Tanev - Corrado
? bum
? bum

Goaltenders
Luongo
Lack


I think we will see someone other than Schroeder, probably a solid 3rd line guy. I fully expect JS to be traded now that we have Gaunce, Lain, and Horvat in the system. I also liked the suggestion from the other day (Coco I think) about picking up a guy like Boyd Gordon for the 4th line.

Btw Spock, is that just your mix of players or do you think that will be the order of the depth chart? I think we will see Tanev paired with Edler and Garrison with Corrado if indeed those are the names on the blueline in October. Corrado is young and will likely do better with an experienced partner, and Tanev will balance our AirhEdlers gaffs. Plus, both Corrado and Tanev are right handed shots.

I fully expect Torts to have Garrison on the point with the 1PP unit.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3208
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Jovocop » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:32 am

Meds wrote:
Spock wrote:So if Ballard is bought out, Canucks still need a bunch of players signed - and will have money to pay Tanev.

My current expected Canucks roster in September 2013

Forward Lines
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Weise - Gaunce - Jensen
Sestito

Defense
Bieksa-Hamhuis
Edler - Garrison
Tanev - Corrado
? bum
? bum

Goaltenders
Luongo
Lack


I think we will see someone other than Schroeder, probably a solid 3rd line guy. I fully expect JS to be traded now that we have Gaunce, Lain, and Horvat in the system. I also liked the suggestion from the other day (Coco I think) about picking up a guy like Boyd Gordon for the 4th line.


As MG said earlier, Lain might replace Lapierre on the 4th line. I am not sure having two rookies (JS included) to centre the 3rd and 4th line is a good idea. MG might want to have a veteran on the 3rd line. If that is the case, JS will be traded.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1720
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Roster Questions

Postby herb » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:34 am

Kellan Lain is 23 years old, and may be more NHL ready than Gaunce at this point. Gaunce is still CHL eligible and I suspect he’ll be playing primarily in the OHL. I suspect Gaunce will get a look, but I doubt he sticks with the Canucks.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2047
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Roster Questions

Postby dbr » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:51 am

Yeah Gaunce and Horvat may get the 9 game tryout this fall but I doubt the team keeps either the full season (unless they are clearly ready for a top nine, 13-14 minutes a game type of role).

Lain may get a good shot on the fourth line, I believe he will win it if only because given the fourth lines we've iced over the last few years it's pretty obvious the team isn't too bothered by a fourth line that spends about seven or eight minutes a game being not particularly good at either end of the ice.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2491
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:04 pm

dbr wrote:Yeah Gaunce and Horvat may get the 9 game tryout this fall but I doubt the team keeps either the full season (unless they are clearly ready for a top nine, 13-14 minutes a game type of role).

Lain may get a good shot on the fourth line, I believe he will win it if only because given the fourth lines we've iced over the last few years it's pretty obvious the team isn't too bothered by a fourth line that spends about seven or eight minutes a game being not particularly good at either end of the ice.



Torts loves to roll 4 lines and has said so. I would suspect they will try to get a 4th line he can roll with. But yes, MG said they think Lain is real close and I think they will plop him on the 4th line. But I can see them allowing a younger winger to move up to the 3rd or 4th line which would allow them to move Higgins or Hansen to the 4th.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3710
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Spock » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:04 pm

Meds wrote:
Spock wrote:So if Ballard is bought out, Canucks still need a bunch of players signed - and will have money to pay Tanev.

My current expected Canucks roster in September 2013

Forward Lines
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Weise - Gaunce - Jensen
Sestito

Defense
Bieksa-Hamhuis
Edler - Garrison
Tanev - Corrado

Goaltenders
Luongo
Lack


I think we will see someone other than Schroeder, probably a solid 3rd line guy. I fully expect JS to be traded now that we have Gaunce, Lain, and Horvat in the system. I also liked the suggestion from the other day (Coco I think) about picking up a guy like Boyd Gordon for the 4th line.

Btw Spock, is that just your mix of players or do you think that will be the order of the depth chart? I think we will see Tanev paired with Edler and Garrison with Corrado if indeed those are the names on the blueline in October. Corrado is young and will likely do better with an experienced partner, and Tanev will balance our AirhEdlers gaffs. Plus, both Corrado and Tanev are right handed shots.

I fully expect Torts to have Garrison on the point with the 1PP unit.


JS is an RFA - so he may or not be qualified I suppose. Given the overall limited depth the Canucks have in their system, I can't see him just being thrown in the junk pile. He is probably too small to be a true centerman - might not be a bad idea to try him on wing. Problem being - the Canucks are very thin down the middle as we saw last season.

Re: defense pairings - I don't know who Torts will put with whom. But there is a serious lack of depth at defense without Ballard and Alberts. I would not give Barker another sniff at the ice - he was atrocious.

I wouldn't mind the talent being spread out among the lines and rolling the 4 lines to see if they can get some favorable matchups against 3rd pairing defensemen....
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one."

Spock of Vulcan
Stardate 2476.8
User avatar
Spock
CC Rookie
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:11 am
Location: Planet Vulcan, City: Reno

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Jovocop » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:10 pm

The Canucks qualified Schroeder, Tanev and Weise earlier.

Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer
The #Canucks did not qualify three RFAs by today's deadline: Derek Joslin, Prab Rai and Stefan Schneider.


What is going to happen with Yann Sauve?

Never mind...

Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer
Besides Tanev and Weise, #Canucks also qualified Jordan Schroeder, Bill Sweatt, Kellan Lain, Anton Rodin, Darren Archibald & Yann Sauve.
Last edited by Jovocop on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1720
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Roster Questions

Postby tantalum » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:16 pm

The Joslin one surprises me a bit. The others don't.
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Reefer2 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:44 pm

Spock wrote:So if Ballard is bought out, Canucks still need a bunch of players signed - and will have money to pay Tanev.

My current expected Canucks roster in September 2013

Forward Lines
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Weise - Gaunce - Jensen
Sestito

Defense
Bieksa-Hamhuis
Edler - Garrison
Tanev - Corrado
? bum
? bum

Goaltenders
Luongo
Lack


Unless JT can work miracles this looks like another long season and a short playoff run.
User avatar
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Meds and 5 guests