Roster Questions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If an overhaul of this team is needed, which of the following players who should MG shop around...

Hank and Danny
7%
Edler
25%
Booth
26%
Higgins
5%
Bieksa
9%
Ballard
26%
Hamhuis
1%
None of the above
1%

Total votes: 173

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Roster Questions

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Can't we disect the body postmortem? What the fuck happened last night? They took the series over physically on a team that doesn't deal well with being taken over. Why freak out and trade everyone after 2 games?

Where are the real fans? Where are the fans who saw their team lay a licking on a very strong sharks team? Make no mistake...we ran those fuckers hard last night and they are wearing ice bags today. All of them.

I don't share your pessimism. I see a team in VCR that is only just now getting there groove on. Kesler has arrived my worried friends and if you all jump ship now you'll be wiping the egg off your collective faces.

So enough hand wringing, bed wetting and panty twisting girls. Last time I checked 2 wins doesn't mean shit.
Ummm good post Dan.

Some of these "fans" are living in an alternate reality wherein the Canucks did NOT come back from being down 0-2 against the Sharks only to eventually win the Cup.

Some of these "fans" just can't wait until the off-season so they can listen to themselves talk for months about what changes need to be made in their not so humble opinions.

It's MUCH better for that kind of "fan" when the Canucks fail.

Sickening...
____
Try to focus on someday.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Orcasfan wrote:Agree with Larry G and Per - Sedins are not the problem! As far as their supposed "disappearing act" in the playoffs is concerned, I suggest you check in with Thomas Drance's article on that over at Canucks Army! Let's face it, this 1/2 season was always going to be a potential bust with the Luongo non-trade, as well as injuries. With Booth gone, there's no chance to see if he could be effective with Kes.
This has to be the stupidest thing I've read in a long time. The Sedins disappearing act is okay because the Canucks didn't trade away Luongo for scraps and go into games 1 and 2 with an unproven goalie? How do you come up with this?

The Sedins ARE the problem. For a THIRD straight playoff year our offense has been non-existent in the playoffs, and you want to blame it on Roberto Luongo still being here, or David Booth being injured?? Booth has scored one empty net goal all season. That's it. One goal, on an empty net! This is absolutely ridiculous. How many playoff chokejobs by our offense do you need to see before you admit that the leaders of that offense are the problem?
Orcasfan wrote: But the other big loss was Manny centering the 3rd. Combine that with the other factors above and what do we have? A team without a real 2nd line, and without a real 3rd line C to be either the shut-down line or another scoring threat. Higgins is really a 3rd liner. As is Hansen. These guys are not scoring threats, though they can score at times (there's a difference!). Kassian may be a 2nd line W in the future, maybe even next year, but he's not there yet. That leaves Kes as the only legit 2nd liner, and he's been either injured, or recovering for most of the season.

Now, thanks to the Sedins and AV (as well as a very weak NW division :) ), the patchwork team that was glued together this season was good enough to win the NW, but was never going to make an impact during the playoffs! Of course we lack scoring! Duh!

What do we need? To retool...as opposed to rebuild. We need a legit 2nd line - Kes with ? and ? And we need a real 3rd line C - preferably over 6 ft! How do we get those pieces? Get something for Lu (preferably a young C or potential scoring W); trade or buyout Ballard (draft picks will do); if possible trade Bieksa...he is making too many errors in judgement and he is 32 soon. With his style of play, the wear and tear will catch up. If not Bieksa, then Edler. I am hesitant to trade this guy because he has so many tools. I wouldn't do it just because of his play this season, though. I think he still needs a D partner who is a calming influence on the right side. Maybe Tanev can grow into that spot. If so, I'd rather give Edler another chance. Tough decision. Of course I doubt Gillis will trade either of these guys (NTC, etc).

I would also give the young guns like Jensen and Gaunce to make the roster next year. Even if they would still be a little rough around the edges and not great in the D zone.What they could bring to the score sheet would be worth it!

There you have it. Admittedly, not a likely scenario. The probable outcome will be the firing of AV. I just don't see who a better replacement would be...
The Canucks have Higgins-Roy-Kesler on the second line. How is that not a "real second line?" This is absolutely ridiculous.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Can't we disect the body postmortem? What the fuck happened last night? They took the series over physically on a team that doesn't deal well with being taken over. Why freak out and trade everyone after 2 games?

Where are the real fans? Where are the fans who saw their team lay a licking on a very strong sharks team? Make no mistake...we ran those fuckers hard last night and they are wearing ice bags today. All of them.

I don't share your pessimism. I see a team in VCR that is only just now getting there groove on. Kesler has arrived my worried friends and if you all jump ship now you'll be wiping the egg off your collective faces.

So enough hand wringing, bed wetting and panty twisting girls. Last time I checked 2 wins doesn't mean shit.
Ummm good post Dan.

Some of these "fans" are living in an alternate reality wherein the Canucks did NOT come back from being down 0-2 against the Sharks only to eventually win the Cup.

Some of these "fans" just can't wait until the off-season so they can listen to themselves talk for months about what changes need to be made in their not so humble opinions.

It's MUCH better for that kind of "fan" when the Canucks fail.

Sickening...

Sickening is right. Until there is still life in this team we have to support them. Fuck all the bed -wetters trading or letting go of 90% of the team when were down 0-2 . these are not real fans.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

They're not dead yet, but if they go out in a sweep to SJ this year then there's no point in trying to put lipstick on a pig. Unless the skies part and this team turns the corner, even an honourable long series against SJ isn't going to change the fact that the team would need an overhaul.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

okcanuck wrote:
Sickening is right. Until there is still life in this team we have to support them. Fuck all the bed -wetters trading or letting go of 90% of the team when were down 0-2 . these are not real fans.
OK we are down 0 - 3, can we wet the bed now?

I am with ya ok, wanted this team to win but in my heart I knew they didn't have it in them. This team is done and time to put a fork in them. Now we need to see if MG has any balls to make some major trades.
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

Reefer2 wrote:
okcanuck wrote:
OK we are down 0 - 3, can we wet the bed now?

I am with ya ok, wanted this team to win but in my heart I knew they didn't have it in them. This team is done and time to put a fork in them. Now we need to see if MG has any balls to make some major trades.
I still fucking believe, until we lose the fourth game I will believe!

Pass me some more mescaline goddamit I still believe.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

That's good stuff knucklehead..LOL
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Why is 14 not on this list ?? Is he untradeable ??
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Mon May 06, 2013 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Right now at 0-3 against the sharks no ones looking good, and with the 1.5 goals a game average since the Boston series clearly its time for a change up but its gotta be by addition not gassing everyone on the roster ...

Lets clean up the dead weight in salaries, grab some of those UFA'S in July, gas the coaching staff, bring in fresh blood and let the youngsters work their way up the depth chart.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ukcanuck wrote:Right now at 0-3 against the sharks no ones looking good, and with the 1.5 goals a game average since the Boston series clearly its time for a change up but its gotta be by addition not gassing everyone on the roster ...

Lets clean up the dead weight in salaries, grab some of those UFA'S in July, gas the coaching staff, bring in fresh blood and let the youngsters work their way up the depth chart.
Agreed, and a question not many want to ask just yet is do we want Gillis managing all that? or does the team hire a new GM to handle the new direction of the team.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

SKYO wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:Right now at 0-3 against the sharks no ones looking good, and with the 1.5 goals a game average since the Boston series clearly its time for a change up but its gotta be by addition not gassing everyone on the roster ...

Agreed, and a question not many want to ask just yet is do we want Gillis managing all that? or does the team hire a new GM to handle the new direction of the team.
In a word NO.

We keep the GM and kick AV to the curb.

As much as I like him I believe he is past his best before date.

It's time for a change, the sad thing is I don't see anyone out there that is better than him.

Who among you can recommend a replacement that would be a marked improvement over AV.

This is a serious question as I would like to know who is out there.

Please do not say Keenan as I would not want to have you snuffed, same goes for Messier.

Damn I forgot to say I believe, we can do this!
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

i am for punting both GMMG and AV...AV because he is stale and unoriginal and MG because he is just a plain crappy GM...we are tied into alot of long term crap contracts because of his moves...the cupboard is bare and we have millions wasted in roster players that dont play(Ballard)...our drafting has been for shit...i read somewhere that he has not drafted a kid out of the WHL in 4 drafts...what the fucks with that...the WHL is in your back fucking yard...we have a whole lots of small D-men who dont intimidate other team's offenses...almost anyone on this board could have accomplished what MG has done...most would have done better...its not rocket science...this team is more dysfunctional than Strangelove's house at Christmas dinner...
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

the Dogsalmon wrote:our drafting has been for shit...i read somewhere that he has not drafted a kid out of the WHL in 4 drafts...what the fucks with that...the WHL is in your back fucking yard...we have a whole lots of small D-men who dont intimidate other team's offenses...almost anyone on this board could have accomplished what MG has done...most would have done better...its not rocket science...this team is more dysfunctional than Strangelove's house at Christmas dinner...
kevin connaughton? MG gave him up for roy though. I'm pretty sure he drafted another giant before as well.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Why is 14 not on this list ?? Is he untradeable ?? But wait .....it's his birthright to play with the twins no matter how horrible he plays. But its all their fault according to some. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :baaa: :stupid: :stupid:
I thought about adding him Blob, but even when he has a "bad game" it's not for lack of effort. He stands in there night after night and gets absolutely abused by bigger and stronger opposing dmen while the Sedins cycle the puck endlessly along the wall. When the Sedins need help he goes to the boards and digs like a slave to help out, then he goes back and gets pounded on some more. Burrows is the player that will buy into any system and give his all to play for the team. He blocks shots, he back checks, he kills penalties, he goes to the net, he makes life difficult for goaltenders.....he just never seems to mail it in.

That's why he's not on this list.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Knucklehead wrote: We keep the GM and kick AV to the curb.

As much as I like him I believe he is past his best before date.

It's time for a change, the sad thing is I don't see anyone out there that is better than him.

Who among you can recommend a replacement that would be a marked improvement over AV.
Lindy Ruff.

He's available.

He may not be a better coach, but he's a different coach. Different philosophy. Different style of play. Gillis wants an up-tempo team, that's the plan going forward. Ruff coaches a fast skating style of hockey that attacks of the rush and creates in the offensive zone through system and free wheeling.

Vigneault has never been an up-tempo kind of coach. He prefers the trapping, grinding, defense-first, brand of hockey that slows the game down and doesn't score many goals. I'll never understand why Gillis extended Vigneault when he came on board and decided that the team philosophy and overall style would be up-tempo hockey that focused on puck possession and skill. Vigneault's idea of puck possession is to grind it out along the wall, pass the puck up and down the boards, and cycle in perpetuity, for 35 minutes per game and then say that they controlled the puck for the majority of the game.