Roster Questions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If an overhaul of this team is needed, which of the following players who should MG shop around...

Hank and Danny
7%
Edler
25%
Booth
26%
Higgins
5%
Bieksa
9%
Ballard
26%
Hamhuis
1%
None of the above
1%

Total votes: 173

herb
CC Legend

Re: Roster Questions

Post by herb »

Tciso wrote:We have a serious cap issue next season.
Not really. I mean sure, there are changes that need to be made with a declining cap, but the cap is going down by $5.9M, and we have $9.5M tied up in two redundant players (Luongo and Ballard). Not really a serious issue there that any manager with a modicum of management ability couldn't figure out .

Making some assumptions, we could easily ice a 23 man roster using players we currently have under contract without making too many changes, other than jettisoning Luongo and Ballard, that would be very close to the team we had this year and easily be cap compliant. The question is, would that team be an improvement over this year's team? Probably not.

As an example (Not saying this is the team I would like to see. Just using it as an example):

Forwards
D Sedin $6,100,000
H Sedin $6,100,000
Kesler $5,000,000
Booth $4,250,000
Burrows $4,500,000
Higgins $2,500,000
Hansen $1,350,000
Lain $1,055,854
Schroeder $1,025,000
Kassian $870,000
Weise $700,000
Sestito $700,000
Pinizzotto $600,000

Defensemen
Bieksa $4,600,000
Garrison $4,600,000
Hamhuis $4,500,000
Edler $5,000,000
Alberts Repl. $1,225,000
Tanev $900,000
Corrado $600,000
8th D man $600,000

Goaltenders
Schneider $4,000,000
Lack $700,000

Cap Payroll $61,475,854
Salary Cap $64,300,000
Cap Space $2,824,146
# on Roster 23

Sorry for the crappy formatting. Is there a way to put this stuff in a table on this board?

Anyway, assuming Luongo and Ballard are gonzo, this team’s flexibility, when you look at player cap hits and no trade clauses, currently centres on Edler, Booth and Burrows. That’s $13.75M in players right there that could be reshuffled to accommodate a bigger contract, or two, up front.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

I would shop Edler but Gillis just gave him a no-trade clause and I somewhat doubt Gillis would trade him a month before it takes effect.

I would be looking for a top 6 forward, and a 3rd line center both under the age of 27.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Poor donnylever.

Sure he may have ten grand more in his wallet than this time last year but look at the heart warming letter his missed out on:
I am writing to you far earlier than any of us wanted or anticipated. Although we won the division for the fifth consecutive season, regular season success alone is not our ultimate goal.

It is my responsibility as the leader of this organization to work with my leadership team to evaluate all aspects of our hockey club and find ways to improve. You have been extremely supportive and your passion is what drives us every day to get better.

Everyone in our organization from our owners, management, coaches, players and staff expected more from this season – and we know you did as well. Losing in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs the past two years is unacceptable to each of us. This off-season will lead to difficult decisions including roster adjustments and changes in personnel. Though I believe the condensed schedule made adjustments challenging and does not necessarily reflect the full potential of our on-ice group, the fact remains that we're going to have to reinvent ourselves and do things differently in order to be successful.

It is my intention to communicate with you as often as I can throughout the summer months. On behalf of our entire organization, I thank you for your continued loyalty and assure you we will work as hard as we can to make you proud and to ultimately win the Stanley Cup.

Sincerely,

Michael D. Gillis
President and General Manager
Vancouver Canucks
2011..... the one that got away.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Does anyone remember Nicklas Danielsson?

I'll give you a clue:
Penalty 44:56 45:41 CAN 2 min. 2 HAMHUIS D - Delaying the Game
Goal 45:41 1 : 1 SWE PP1 44 DANIELSSON N (1) 33 SEDIN H, 22 SEDIN D
On Ice CAN 41 22 24 44 90 SWE 1 4 21 22 33 44 *
Penalty 49:06 49:35 CAN 2 min. 28 GIROUX C - Cross-Checking
Goal 49:35 1 : 2 SWE PP1 21 ERIKSSON L (2) 44 DANIELSSON N, 22 SEDIN D
On Ice CAN 41 22 24 44 90 SWE 1 4 21 22 33 44 *
Nicklas scored both of Sweden's regulation time goals last night, both of them one timers from the blue line on power plays orchestrated by the Sedins against Canada's finest. (Yes, according to the box score the second goal was scored by Eriksson, but it barely grazed the inside of his leg on its way from the blue line, past Smith and into the net.)

Look at that bold part; 44 scores, assisted by 33 and 22!

Doesn’t it look like a sign? A new lines mate for the Sedins, who can score on the power play.
And with a jersey number that fits like a glove!

So does anyone remember him? Another hint:
Drafted: 2003 round 5 #160 overall by Vancouver Canucks
:shock:

Nicklas showed a lot of talent as a junior, netted 1.16 PPG in the Swedish J20 league and represented Sweden at the WJC, where he had 2 goals and 1 assist in 6 games. After that he never really lived up to all that promise. He has been a borderline SEL player, and I can see why the Canucks never chose to sign him.

But then something happened. In 2010/11 he was traded from Djurgården, where he netted 21 points in 08/09 and 20 in 09/10, to Modo. Suddenly he grew an inch (metaphorically) and scored 37 points (17G 20A) in 54 games. He added another 7 points (2G 5A) in 10 playoff games, and got to play three games with the national team. Next season he increased his scoring to 52 points in 53 games (21G 31A) while earning 77PIM and having the best +/- in the league (26). He added 3 points (2G 1A) in six playoff games.

Suddenly, at age 27, we see a complete player. 6 feet, 190 lb, offensive threat, defensively sound and not afraid to give and take. He also represented Sweden in 14 games that season, resulting in 4 goals and 1 assist.

This season he started out representing Bern in the Swiss league, but was then whisked off to Lev Praha (Prague) in the KHL, where he scored 14 points (6G 8A) in 16 games and another 2 (1G 1A) in four playoff games. And now he’s representing Sweden at the World Championship. He has not been playing on the same line as the Sedins, but has been used on the blue line in the power play, despite being a RW. Seems to work just fine.

Anyway, this is a 28-yo late bloomer who has some history with the Canucks, fits nicely with the Sedins and has proven himself in the SEL, the KHL and on the international level. The Prague team he plays for in the KHL just extended his contract, but if Gillis is interested things could probably be arranged…

Yup. And even though Danielsson hails from Uppsala, he has spent two seasons playing for Modo, so he can almost qualify as the long lost triplet. A right winger who shoots right and wears # 44. What more can you ask for?

I'm sure he'd be willing to dye his hair red, if necessary.

:|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I thought we retired #44??
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

Thanks, Per, for the update on Danielsson. I was wondering a while back if he would ever "break out". Why wouldn't the Canucks at least invite him to camp? Maybe even a similar contract to the one Brunner signed in Detroit (one year, two-way). At this point, we need to be turning over every stone to find more scoring!
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

players agent Mike Gillis should try to ressurect Mattias Weinhandl...
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Have we reached the point where 6ft 190 is considered small? Hmm..
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Puck wrote:Have we reached the point where 6ft 190 is considered small? Hmm..
Yeah, I don't know if I have an issue adding a skilled player of that size to our lineup.

As long as he comes with a little bit of sandpaper. He's not going to have the room out there like he does on the big ice. \

The way the league is being called now he may be completely ineffective.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Aaronp18 wrote:
It's become obvious of late that you need at least a couple of 6'3" 220lb ass kickers in your top 9 and probably 1 or 2 more on the ass end. The NHL is headed back to a physically punishing playoff hockey style and shrimps will be worthless pretty quick. Personally, I enjoy that style of game but VCR is not one of the teams that will succeed with the smaller softish line up they currently have.
If you need air...call it in
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:The NHL is headed back to a physically punishing playoff hockey style and shrimps will be worthless pretty quick. Personally, I enjoy that style of game but VCR is not one of the teams that will succeed with the smaller softish line up they currently have.
I'm not a fan of the dead puck era hockey.

It's meant to suffocate skill and speed.

The goals are garbage, I don't mind the occasional crash and bang goal but we're heading back to slow lumbering hockey.

NHL hockey outside of the Canucks doesn't interest me like it used to. It's the fastest game on the planet and the NHL is slowing it down again for the sake of parity.

Wait till we watch the Olympics next year on international ice! We'll all remember what hockey can look like when skill is promoted and encouraged.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:
It's become obvious of late that you need at least a couple of 6'3" 220lb ass kickers in your top 9 and probably 1 or 2 more on the ass end. The NHL is headed back to a physically punishing playoff hockey style and shrimps will be worthless pretty quick. Personally, I enjoy that style of game but VCR is not one of the teams that will succeed with the smaller softish line up they currently have.
Agreed and that is what Gillis was getting at with his comments. They lack guys who can drag the 220lb defender that is draped on their back and thus can't effectively get to the net. It's why guys like Penner and King, for example, take on so much more importance in the playoffs for the Kings. A players speed is easily nullified if the opposition is able to simply reach out and grab the guy as he goes past slowing him down just enough. If you have a small guy that guy needs to be:

-supremely talented with exceptional hockey sense to find free areas, make moves in close etc (i.e. Kane)
-or surrounded by guys who can do the dirty work for them (Krejci with Horton and Lucic for instance)

But, and I think this is important, it doesn't mean you can just turf skill. Weise has the strength to get to the net but he will never put the puck in the net. LaPierre the same thing (though he pretty sucked in all areas this year).

Now while I realize people have issues with the Sedins but on the cnaucks they have 3 players that regularly win board battles down low...Henrik, Daniel, and Kesler. Burrows is an excellent compliment to that down low game. Low and bheold, while they are obviously the most talented on the roster, the result is that far and away they are the top point getters on the team in playoffs. Then you have all the other guys like Hansen, Raymond, Higgins the last two years, LaPierre etc that just can't score or even really get a dangerous looking puck to the net. So I don't think you need to touch the core up front as they do win those types of battles. But you desperately need to supplement them with 4 or 5 other guys who can also win those battles.

I think the core changes need to come on the back end. You have Garrison who became the canucks best D-man this year and is well worth the contract. Hamhuis is steady. Tanev is steady but is unlikely to be more than a second pairing partner to an offensive minded guy. Edler has not been good the past two seasons but neither has he had a consistent partner and I think he needs that. Bieksa more often than not this year was his partner and Bieksa quite frankly is a complete disaster if he doesn't have the good fortune of playing with Hamhuis. Garrison IMO has knocked a guy out of the core. I look for at least one of those 2 to be moved out East. The core in goal has already changed but the change will be "final" this summer.

So in short I see one core change (outside shot at 2) but significant changes to the supplementary players. I expect 5-6 changes up front (I see Henrik, Daniel, Burrows, Kesler, Hansen, Kassian and Higgins as the returnees that were full time this year). On the blueline I expect Garrison, Hamhuis, Tanev, Corrado (maybe minors), Edler/Bieksa, acquisition, acquisition. In short I expect we will see up to 7 or so new full time faces in an opening lineup of 20 players. That would be a significantly active off season. I hope we do see that.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
???-Kesler-Kassian/????
Higgins-BIG CENTER-Hansen
????-????-????/Kassian (or to put another way BIG-BIG-BIG)
?????

Hamhuis-Garrison
Edler-Tanev
????-????/Corrado
?????

i would expect a completely different system. Not necessarily a defensive one but one in which guys actually take a body instead of fishing for the puck with a stick (and yes I do think that was something by design from the coaching staff because guys constantly did it even if it was out of character...Alberts would much rather just flatten a guy in front of the net instead of fish for that puck).
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I have said this before but a top line with the Sedins and Burrows isn't going to do it anymore. They seriously need to break the twins up and put them each with dudes with size. Spread out the pillowy softness...so to speak.

Imagine these 2 Sedin lines:

1st---D.Sedin-R.Kesler-BIG TOUGH WINGER

2nd---Z.Kassian-H.Sedin-A.Burrows-OR inject BIG TOUGH WINGER from 3rd line if AB is getting owned

Then overhaul the bottom 6 completely. Theres a few guys to keep (Hansen maybe Higgins) but bring in some balls FFS.

3rd---Purge the wimps on current line 3 in favour of a BIGGER TOUGHER 3rd line (See Washington 3rd line only as an example Hendricks-Beagle-Crabb)

I want a legit tough guy on my 4th line thanks. The energy a good scrap brings is very welcome when the season drags on. It also helps teams gel and play bigger than they usually do.

I would love to ditch mouthy Lapierre and am definitely open to trading Burrows if there's a decent return. The yapping and bitch talk doesn't work very well when you're getting your asses handed to you annually by teams now in our division. Kesler is a different animal in that he can actually crank it up and take over a game when he gets fired up. Sure Burrows has scored some huge goals over the years but now he's at 4.5 or whatever...he could be expendable and desirable for a potential trading partner. The Sedin line the past playoff and half of last year just haven't done it for us and AB is a big part of this. Having 3 yappers only makes teams want to punish the fuck out of you.

This culture change is long over due. The coaching staff has had how many years now? The core? Serious changes are needed up front and it will be a real challenge to completely change this dynamic in only one offseason. Have to think it takes a couple of years to get where it needs to be.
If you need air...call it in
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

No problems breaking up the twins IMO. They are both fantastic players who have shown they don't need to be together. I agree that Burrows is the least contributing to the line and you are correct that is at times an issue. I imagine a line that has, say, Lucic on that wing and wonder how much more room they'd get and how much more effective the entire line could be. But Burrows is all try and is fairly effective in the playoffs so unless the return is a good one I find it hard to look at moving him.

I have no issues with Hansen or Higgins on the third line but the line overall needs size in the middle if that is the case. It can't be Schroeder as much as I think his development has caught back up. 4th line we agree needs a complete reboot. They have to be able to contribute 10-11 minutes a night in the playoffs. Right now LaPierre got under 10 and the rest about 5. Hard to go deep on a team that needs a good bit of secondary scoring if the 4th line can't contribute at all.

Blueline...I think the coaching staff messed up the blueline so much I'm not sure what to think. I understand the temptation to put Garrison with Hamhuis as the two best guys but it left Edler with Bieksa which has been a disaster each and every game it has been tried. yet they stuck with it. I think Bieksa either needs to be a third pairing guy playing nasty or off the team. Edler, despite the steps back has time to improve and I wonder what a different coaching staff can bring out of him. The brilliance is there...the consistency is not. Playing with Bieksa does not help as he seems to be a guy that if his partner is taking chances he feels he needs to take more chances.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

On the back end, Tanev and Corrado will stick around for no other reason than we need every decent, cheap players we can get our hands on. The luxury of having a couple of $1M spare parts like Alberts and Rome around is long gone.

We need help up front, and right now our trading chips are Luongo, Bieksa, Edler, Burrows, Booth, Schroeder, Hansen and futures. Booth, Schroeder and Hansen are not worth enough to bring back the kind of top 6 help and big third line centre we need.

That leaves the other four guys. Luongo's value is a complete unknown at this point, although it sounds like Philly will be buying out Bryzgalov, so that opens up another trading partner. Bieksa, Burrows and Edler would all bring back significant return, which is why their names are floated often. Bieksa and Burrows are two guys I think most Canucks fans like, but they are both on the wrong side of 30 and together cost about $9M. I would try to keep Edler, unless the return is deadly.

A trade with Philly involving some combination of Luongo, Bieksa, Edler, Schroeder, Booth and Burrows for Couturier, Simmonds and Voracek is the kind of thing I dream about in days like this where LA, Chicago and Boston all look fucking great out there in the second round...