Roster Questions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If an overhaul of this team is needed, which of the following players who should MG shop around...

Hank and Danny
7%
Edler
25%
Booth
26%
Higgins
5%
Bieksa
9%
Ballard
26%
Hamhuis
1%
None of the above
1%

Total votes: 173

theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Roster Questions

Post by theman »

Knucklehead wrote:
theman wrote:How many buyouts can the Canucks do this offseason? What I hope the Canucks do:

1. Fire AV, he needs to go. Time for a fresh voice for the players.

2. Buyout Luongo, can't see any team trading for him now. Gillis really has misplayed the Luongo situation.

3. Buyout Booth and Ballard.

4. Use the cap space to rebuild the forward lines.
Are you fucking kidding me, buyout Luongo!

He would never pass through waivers, most GM's in the League are nowhere near as stupid as that.

I'll agree though that AV's time may be past due.

Agree also that Ballard and Booth need to be gone to become cap compliant.

But to suggest that Luongo needs to be bought out is ludicrous.

I thought about that more, and perhaps I was hasty. My reasoning for suggesting that was other GM's know that Gillis is in a tight spot with this situation. Now, I know he is not going to hit a homerun if he is able to trade Luongo, tbh, I would be very pleased if he can trade him for a 2nd rounder now. GM's might now be waiting to see if he buys him out now so they will be lowballing him even more, and getting ride of Luongo's cap hit has value for Canucks for obvious reasons. Probably the best way for Gillis to play it now is, immediately after the Canucks season is over, buy out Ballard and Booth. That will be the message he needs to send to other teams, and then accept the first decent offer(decent prospect/high draft pick) he gets.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Knucklehead wrote: HERE HERE I LOVE THAT ATTITUDE.

I've been following, cheering and crying since day one with the Canucks.

That damn pass from Snepts to Bossy in the slot killed it for us in that miracle run, I knew it was over then but I kept believing.

When Lafayette hit the crossbar I got worried but I still believed.

I don't know what the fuck happened in 2011 but I still believed to the bitter end. Funny how I can remember the two earlier Stanley Cup losses more clearly than the latest one.

Is it age or was it that I had such greater expectations against Boston and the turning point was Colin Campbell, that useless fuck, sons playing for the bruins that was the tipping point in that series, not something that happened on the ice.

We are down two games but it takes four to win a series, I still believe.

RD, Pauser and the rest of the bedwetters can all fuck off until it's over one way or the other.

If you don't believe why bother watching?

I'm going to enjoy each game!
^This is what we need^
Time for some positive vibes around here ffs 8-)
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

udl and knukle - lol you 2 are funny.

You don't think everyone here want the Canucks to win?

You don't think we support the team and bleed blue?

Get your heads out of your ass and quit calling fans bed wetters because we refuse to accept another year without the cup. You are pompous asses to think we don't care and don't support this team. All of us (except donny) will be watching the game tonight and hopping things will turn around.

It is that we have seen enough from this core group, AV and MG from the last 3 seasons to say enough is enough and changes need to be made. Some suggestions are silly but written in the heat of the moment and by some very loyal pissed of fans. I for one have been harping for 3 seasons to get rid of AV because in my books he cannot manage the game within the game. I wanted to believe in him because of 2011 but he is done.

So before you get the holier than thou attitude you should realize everyone here are Canuck fans.
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

![/quote]
^This is what we need^
Time for some positive vibes around here ffs 8-)[/quote]

Want some of what I'm smoking only $100.00 per ounce.

I think I've still got some stashed in my VCR.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

We've got all summer for the post-mortems. Obviously, it looks pretty bad, but I'll stick with the team until the end and then if/when it is over, I'll be more than happy to dissect and speculate.

Until then, live the dream, make it happen, wipe the stupid smirk of Jumbo Joe's face and win game 3!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Boston Canucker wrote:We've got all summer for the post-mortems. Obviously, it looks pretty bad, but I'll stick with the team until the end and then if/when it is over, I'll be more than happy to dissect and speculate.

Until then, live the dream, make it happen, wipe the stupid smirk of Jumbo Joe's face and win game 3!
I agree 100%, I would give my first born to get past this round.

Reading in the Province today and Sedin is talking about how everyone has given up on them, no shit.

Maybe scoring more than 15 goals in the last 12 playoff games and fans may believe the crap coming out of the players. My message to the players is talk is cheap, show it on the ice. Score 4 or more goals tonight and give the fans something to believe in again.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

If Shea Weber is worth 5 first round draft picks then Alex Edler has to be worth at least 3 first rounders... not just 1...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Reefer2 wrote:udl and knukle - lol you 2 are funny.

Get your heads out of your ass and quit calling fans bed wetters because we refuse to accept another year without the cup. You are pompous asses to think we don't care and don't support this team. All of us (except donny) will be watching the game tonight and hopping things will turn around.

It is that we have seen enough from this core group, AV and MG from the last 3 seasons to say enough is enough and changes need to be made. Some suggestions are silly but written in the heat of the moment and by some very loyal pissed of fans. I for one have been harping for 3 seasons to get rid of AV because in my books he cannot manage the game within the game. I wanted to believe in him because of 2011 but he is done.

So before you get the holier than thou attitude you should realize everyone here are Canuck fans.
Thanks Reefer

Oh and knucklehead and UDL. Go fuck yourselves with your bedwetting about bedwetting ya fucking crybabies.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Per wrote:Of the players in this poll I choose to keep the Sedins and Higgins. All other players are on the table.
Maybe I should have kept Bieksa or Hamhuis as well. Probably wouldn't want to loose both of them.

Anyway, the Sedins are not the problem. They are still PPG players and probably have at least three more good years in them. The problem is that with Kesler out most of this season we've been a one line team. Other teams know they have to focus on twins and then they'll win. Now that Kesler's back we have more options, and just look at how Kesler performed last game! :)

If the Sharks now try to contain him, that removes some pressure from the twins.

Our goaltending is top of the line. Our defense is pretty decent as well. What we need is to be able to put at least two lines out there that are capable of scoring regularly. And that's really not that far away. I fully support the idea to play Kassian with the twins and Burrows with Kesler. That ought to give us two lines that are tough to defend against, and thus forcing the opponents to spread their containing efforts. If we could add one or two pieces to the puzzle, i think we could go all the way. Heck, it might even be enough if Kassian and MayRay took that next step. I really don't think his team looks so bad. I still think we can turn this series around, and if we can do that thst will give the players some confidence and help us go even further.

There may be some cracks in the sky, but I don't see it falling just yet.
Have to disagree with you Per. The Sedins ARE the problem. Their playoff disappearing acts has become quite tiresome.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Boston Canucker wrote:We've got all summer for the post-mortems. Obviously, it looks pretty bad, but I'll stick with the team until the end and then if/when it is over, I'll be more than happy to dissect and speculate.

Absolutely Boston, what is the point of being a doom and gloomer,like RD and the like,wanting to get rid of just about everybody. We are down 2-0 in the first round, it doesn't look good,but I still have faith. We were down 3-1 against Calgary in 94,thank Christ RD didn't have this forum back then.

RD in 94 " get rid of Bure,Courtnall,Linden, Mcclean ........ we're fucked now"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

okcanuck wrote:

Absolutely Boston, what is the point of being a doom and gloomer,like RD and the like,wanting to get rid of just about everybody. We are down 2-0 in the first round, it doesn't look good,but I still have faith. We were down 3-1 against Calgary in 94,thank Christ RD didn't have this forum back then.

RD in 94 " get rid of Bure,Courtnall,Linden, Mcclean ........ we're fucked now"
Show me where I said I want to get rid of everybody? The team is stale is all I'm saying, it shows in the lack of interest in this city for this team, lowest it's been in a while. Everyone is just bored of this team. Mike Gillis to date has been doing nothing but mean nothing safe trades. He needs to start getting a little more bolder now. But seemingly is too afraid to. This team needs an injection of something, cause last time I looked, we got knocked out in the first round last year and are on the verge of that this year. I know, it ain't over til it's over but damn me it ain't looking to good going into the toughest building in the NHL and WE CAN'T FUCKING SCORE!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Dudes gonna bedwet now about what he thinks is our bedwetting about HIS bedwetting!

Dude...time to join yer old lady on the bong and chill the fuck out. It isn't making any sense any more...
If you need air...call it in
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

Reefer2 wrote:udl and knukle - lol you 2 are funny.

Reef I don't doubt for a moment that you are a fan, never said that.

I'm just saying enjoy the ride however it goes.

You wouldn't believe my language when the Sharks tied it up, christ it started when Hanson missed the empty net!

I was sure the game was lost at that point but I kept watching and hoping in spite of that.

What pisses me off is the people like RD that seem to revel in any misfortune that befalls the Canucks so they can say: I told you so!

They would rather be right in their bedwetting than see the team they purport to support succeed.

I have never seen that with you.

We can still take this.

Believe or go home!
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

Agree with Larry G and Per - Sedins are not the problem! As far as their supposed "disappearing act" in the playoffs is concerned, I suggest you check in with Thomas Drance's article on that over at Canucks Army! Let's face it, this 1/2 season was always going to be a potential bust with the Luongo non-trade, as well as injuries. With Booth gone, there's no chance to see if he could be effective with Kes.

But the other big loss was Manny centering the 3rd. Combine that with the other factors above and what do we have? A team without a real 2nd line, and without a real 3rd line C to be either the shut-down line or another scoring threat. Higgins is really a 3rd liner. As is Hansen. These guys are not scoring threats, though they can score at times (there's a difference!). Kassian may be a 2nd line W in the future, maybe even next year, but he's not there yet. That leaves Kes as the only legit 2nd liner, and he's been either injured, or recovering for most of the season.

Now, thanks to the Sedins and AV (as well as a very weak NW division :) ), the patchwork team that was glued together this season was good enough to win the NW, but was never going to make an impact during the playoffs! Of course we lack scoring! Duh!

What do we need? To retool...as opposed to rebuild. We need a legit 2nd line - Kes with ? and ? And we need a real 3rd line C - preferably over 6 ft! How do we get those pieces? Get something for Lu (preferably a young C or potential scoring W); trade or buyout Ballard (draft picks will do); if possible trade Bieksa...he is making too many errors in judgement and he is 32 soon. With his style of play, the wear and tear will catch up. If not Bieksa, then Edler. I am hesitant to trade this guy because he has so many tools. I wouldn't do it just because of his play this season, though. I think he still needs a D partner who is a calming influence on the right side. Maybe Tanev can grow into that spot. If so, I'd rather give Edler another chance. Tough decision. Of course I doubt Gillis will trade either of these guys (NTC, etc).

I would also give the young guns like Jensen and Gaunce to make the roster next year. Even if they would still be a little rough around the edges and not great in the D zone.What they could bring to the score sheet would be worth it!

There you have it. Admittedly, not a likely scenario. The probable outcome will be the firing of AV. I just don't see who a better replacement would be...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Dudes gonna bedwet now about what he thinks is our bedwetting about HIS bedwetting!

Dude...time to join yer old lady on the bong and chill the fuck out. It isn't making any sense any more...

a big bong hit and a trip to Mays for some chinese Uncle dan...