Roster Questions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If an overhaul of this team is needed, which of the following players who should MG shop around...

Hank and Danny
7%
Edler
25%
Booth
26%
Higgins
5%
Bieksa
9%
Ballard
26%
Hamhuis
1%
None of the above
1%

Total votes: 173

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Roster Questions

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Who are the ten meat puppets that wanted to dump the Sedins to make the team better ? Yeah lets move consistent ppg players ( in the playoffs over the last five seasons as well) and replace them with what exactly ? It kills me how little respect these players get here . The Canucks wouldn't even make the playoffs if they didn't have the twins. They have gotten no scoring support whatsoever over the last three playoff series yet it is their fault ? Really makes sense ,that.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Who are the ten meat puppets that wanted to dump the Sedins to make the team better ? Yeah lets move consistent ppg players ( in the playoffs over the last five seasons as well) and replace them with what exactly ? It kills me how little respect these players get here . The Canucks wouldn't even make the playoffs if they didn't have the twins. They have gotten no scoring support whatsoever over the last three playoff series yet it is their fault ? Really makes sense ,that.
Agreed.

Everyone likes to talk about the lack of offensive contribution from them when the lack of contribution isn't realy present in the stats beyond typical peaks and valleys. The problem lies in that given the way the NHL has decided to let opposition players clutch, grab and drape themselves over guys again the canucks have 3 count them 3 guys that can come out the corner on any sort of regular basis with the puck..Daniel, Henrik and Kesler. It isn't enough. Even Burrows, try as he might, has issues with what the NHl likes to call "physical play" (I call it interference) and that really limits the effectiveness of the line. It then gets limited even more when the opposition knows all it needs to do is piggy back on the twins and Kesler to shut the canucks down. There is literally no one else capable of getting into the slot or in front of the net with the skill to put a puck in the net when there is a defender water skiing behind them. You have skilled guys in Raymond and I beginning to think Hansen who can't do much when their speed is eliminated with a hook or grab. They also don't have a shot that will create rebounds for a big/heavy linemate who can get to the net. Or you have guys like Weise who can make it to the net but doesn't have a hope of scoring.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

So, the consensus seems to be that Gillis needs to pencil in two wingers to play with Kesler. Could one of those players be David Booth, or has that ship sailed?

Any thoughts on who you'd like Gillis to pick up? IMO, if this is going to get back to looking like a dangerous team, Kesler needs a "first line" winger to play with. Let's say for arguments sake, Gillis targets a top 60 point scoring winger.

Some guys who I think would be attainable that I'd like to see are Voracek, Wheeler, Simmonds, Neal and Skinner. James Neal is probably a bit of a stretch in terms of attainability, but if the Pens don't win the cup and defense and goaltending continue to be an issue, who knows. Obviously he would be the massive upgrade we need.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I think the ship has sailed with Booth.

Though Booth on the third line making third line money is the type of guy I think Gillis would be targetting. Booth may have cement on his hands but he got the puck to the net. That seems to be missing in the bottom 6 as much as it is the top 6.

But yes I think they will be looking for 2 top 6 wingers. Certainly 1 in the offseason and they might look to see how Kassian progresses over the summer to see if he can be the second (or Jensen). But 1 they need.

I'd throw in Horton UFA and RFA Stewart as potential targets. Both are under 28 years of age.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

tantalum wrote:I think the ship has sailed with Booth.
I think the ship was repeatedly pounded into the rocks before leaving the harbour. I' don't think we ever saw what Booth was capable of in the lineup (maybe a game or two pre knee on knee) and with cap concerns, we likely never will.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

David Booth?

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

fucking Italians
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Topper wrote:I think the ship was repeatedly pounded into the rocks before leaving the harbour. I' don't think we ever saw what Booth was capable of in the lineup (maybe a game or two pre knee on knee) and with cap concerns, we likely never will.
I've gone on record as saying I like what Booth brings. I thought he was a solid pick up, and even using hindsight, I still think it was a good pickup. No way anybody could have predicted the injuries Booth has sustained in only 66 games as a Canuck. Three injuries in only 66 games is insanely unlucky. If Gillis can put together a team that upgrades Kesler's line and still includes Booth, fine.

That being said, I'm not sure Gillis has the luxury of giving Booth another shot, which would be a bit of a gamble at this point.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

We have a serious cap issue next season. Right now, with no changes, we are over the cap, and only have 8 forwards, 6 D, and 3 goalies (Capgeek.com). Assuming we trade Lou, and get rid of either Booth or Ballard, we still have only $9 mil for 6 more roster spots. No way in hell we are getting these mysterious "2nd line wingers" for Kesler when we need to fill 6 spots at $1.5 mil per spot.

Bur has to go, as he isn't worth $4.5 in that spot. Bxa or Edler likely goes, as we need that money on forwards.

This was a really crappy year for the Canucks to need to cut salary (thank you Buttman ! )
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Who are the ten meat puppets that wanted to dump the Sedins to make the team better ? Yeah lets move consistent ppg players ( in the playoffs over the last five seasons as well) and replace them with what exactly ? It kills me how little respect these players get here . The Canucks wouldn't even make the playoffs if they didn't have the twins. They have gotten no scoring support whatsoever over the last three playoff series yet it is their fault ? Really makes sense ,that.

Yeah, most people, including myself, rag on the twins for their playoff production. But I just checked, going back to the 04/05 lockout, Danny has 20 goals and 54 points in his last 65 playoff games, Hank has 14 goals and 58 points in his last 68 games. It's pretty much on par with their regular season production over that time.....

My only knock on them is that if you run the game by game numbers, they disappear for a several games and then come back with a big game that sees them notch 3 points each. But this again is a knock I have on them in the regular season too.

Regardless, the lack of secondary scoring support is incredible.
Last edited by Meds on Tue May 14, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I think you'll notice that even the best of the best have peaks and valleys. Heck I remember Crosby having a terribel finals the year they won the cup (Malkin was great) but earlier in the playoffs the situation was reversed. It's why you need that strong secondary scoring because like it or not, even the best players will run into a team/D-man they just can't seem to solve.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I'm not one of Blobs big 10 but as far as the Sedins go, my opinion is the team should explore dressing them on different lines 5 on 5. They aren't physically dominant enough for the playoffs and like it or not the league will not be changing how the games are called any time in the forseeable future as far as i can tell.

I think they should build the top 2 lines by adding grit to surround each Sedin line. How...I don't know. Kesler and Danny then Hank with new beast winger(Edler should bring this return IMO)? Together on the PP?

It would be a new look without giving up on 2 of the best players the franchise has ever had.
If you need air...call it in
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Strangelove wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:this team is more dysfunctional than Strangelove's house at Christmas dinner...
Don't knock martinis + christmas carols until you've tried it Dogface! :evil:
if i knew you were that sensitive i would not have said it... :wow:
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

RoyalDude wrote: Bye Bye

Higgins
Lappiere
Do you really think we can replace these guys with better versions for the same price? Cause, if you have not noticed, we is a broke team. Higging is a good player at a great price. And Lappy is worth what we pay him. I'd be keeping these 2, unless quality 2/3 line players start falling from the sky (and surviving impact)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I hear the leaves might need a goaltender after all.....