Roster Questions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If an overhaul of this team is needed, which of the following players who should MG shop around...

Hank and Danny
7%
Edler
25%
Booth
26%
Higgins
5%
Bieksa
9%
Ballard
26%
Hamhuis
1%
None of the above
1%

Total votes: 173

donlever
CC Legend

Re: Roster Questions

Post by donlever »

Spock wrote: Donnie - sounds like you have come to the end of your personal tolerance for the NHL and the Canucks. Why are you still riding this bus? Are you in the process of getting off? Or trying to hang on and see what happens? Just curious.
Nah, I'm basically off.

Didn't watch or follow this year at all.

Gave up my ducats.

Don't much care for the team or the league or its leadership.

But y'all, I just can't get enough.

So here I am.

Once again.

For how long we shall see.
DeLevering since 1999.
Spock
CC Veteran

Post by Spock »

donlever wrote:
Spock wrote: Donnie - sounds like you have come to the end of your personal tolerance for the NHL and the Canucks. Why are you still riding this bus? Are you in the process of getting off? Or trying to hang on and see what happens? Just curious.
Nah, I'm basically off.

Didn't watch or follow this year at all.

Gave up my ducats.

Don't much care for the team or the league or its leadership.

But y'all, I just can't get enough.

So here I am.

Once again.

Was there a "final straw"? Is there something that would get you watching again?

I totally admit my interest waned after the Cup loss. It was so demoralizing to see the team just collapse - embarrassing even. the past 2 seasons I have watching about 50% of the contests on Center Ice - (rather than my usual 90%) - because I don't think this group has what it takes to really win a Cup. I figure it will take until I'm Medicare age for them to be really good again....
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one."

Spock of Vulcan
Stardate 2476.8
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

donlever wrote:So here I am.
Once again.
Maybe the off-season is the most exciting time in the NHL these days?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Spock wrote:Was there a "final straw"? Is there something that would get you watching again?

I totally admit my interest waned after the Cup loss. It was so demoralizing to see the team just collapse - embarrassing even. the past 2 seasons I have watching about 50% of the contests on Center Ice - (rather than my usual 90%) - because I don't think this group has what it takes to really win a Cup. I figure it will take until I'm Medicare age for them to be really good again....
With about one minute left in game seven I took the kids to the park across the street and sat for about an hour completely dejected and in disbelief.

When I came back in the house and saw plumes of smoke and cars burning in the streets of Vancouver I went numb.

Nothing Canuck or hockey related has been the same for me since.
2011..... the one that got away.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Not to derail the misery theme of this thread, but...

If the Sedins are still our go-to line next year it will be one-and-done again. Talk all you like about how they are still almost PPG players... so what, so are most first liners in the league. The difference is that other first liners can actually skate, defend, take the body and push back a little once in a while.

These guys will never win us anything in the playoffs and if that hasn't become obvious by now I don't know what to say.

Gillis needs to aquire a big, elite winger that can pass the puck to form a new first line with Kesler. Dump Burrows and hope that Kassian can step up and replace him on the second line with the twins. If I thought anything could be aquired for Booth I'd say move him, but I still hold some tiny glimmer of hope that he can play a productive role when he's injury-free.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:A hole in the Canucks youth you can and someone did, drive a truck through.

...................on this day in history..........
Wow Topper, that's "cryptic", even for you.

BTW I still don't get it...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Rumsfeld wrote:Not to derail the misery theme of this thread, but...

If the Sedins are still our go-to line next year it will be one-and-done again. Talk all you like about how they are still almost PPG players... so what, so are most first liners in the league. The difference is that other first liners can actually skate, defend, take the body and push back a little once in a while.

These guys will never win us anything in the playoffs and if that hasn't become obvious by now I don't know what to say.

Gillis needs to aquire a big, elite winger that can pass the puck to form a new first line with Kesler. Dump Burrows and hope that Kassian can step up and replace him on the second line with the twins. If I thought anything could be aquired for Booth I'd say move him, but I still hold some tiny glimmer of hope that he can play a productive role when he's injury-free.
The only way I can see VCR going anywhere is if they are on separate lines and their line mates are fast and tough enough to compensate for their slow foot speed and wimpiness. They can be together on the powerplay where toughness is irrelevant but 5 on 5 they need bodyguards.

Watching these high tempo physical games it sure shows exactly what Vancouver is lacking
If you need air...call it in
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Not to derail the misery theme of this thread, but...

The only way I can see VCR going anywhere is if they are on separate lines and their line mates are fast and tough enough to compensate for their slow foot speed and wimpiness. They can be together on the powerplay where toughness is irrelevant but 5 on 5 they need bodyguards.

Watching these high tempo physical games it sure shows exactly what Vancouver is lacking
Yeah, it's funny. Splitting them up was unthinkable a couple short years ago, but now it seems like a pretty damned good idea 5-on-5.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Sedins are getting predictable in their old age, they are just getting fucking boring and their game is going south in a hurry. Did they even crack the top 30 in scoring this season, can't remember...I do know that they hovered around there all year. Pretty fucking shitty from when they used to be top 5 NHL point leaders. Their slow demise is half the reason this team is sucking large in the playoffs of late. We need a new look on this team, seriously due for one, but Bold Moves Gillis is just gonna bore the shit out of us with his same old patented off-season shenanigans in lame ass tweakings. The Player Agent can't let go of his kids, too attached, we need a GM who can severe ties like a cold fucking Momma Bear bitch does to her cubs at 1 year of age, "GET LOST YA FUCKING NUISANCE, DON'T LOVE YOU ANYMORE, GET YOUR OWN FUCKING FOOD!"
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

RoyalDude wrote:We need a new look on this team, seriously due for one, but Bold Moves Gillis is just gonna bore the shit out of us with his same old patented off-season shenanigans in lame ass tweakings. The Player Agent can't let go of his kids, too attached, we need a GM who can severe ties like a cold fucking Momma Bear bitch does to her cubs at 1 year of age, "GET LOST YA FUCKING NUISANCE, DON'T LOVE YOU ANYMORE, GET YOUR OWN FUCKING FOOD!"
:lol: Gold
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:The Sedins are getting predictable in their old age, they are just getting fucking boring and their game is going south in a hurry. Did they even crack the top 30 in scoring this season, can't remember...I do know that they hovered around there all year. Pretty fucking shitty from when they used to be top 5 NHL point leaders. Their slow demise is half the reason this team is sucking large in the playoffs of late. We need a new look on this team, seriously due for one, but Bold Moves Gillis is just gonna bore the shit out of us with his same old patented off-season shenanigans in lame ass tweakings. The Player Agent can't let go of his kids, too attached, we need a GM who can severe ties like a cold fucking Momma Bear bitch does to her cubs at 1 year of age, "GET LOST YA FUCKING NUISANCE, DON'T LOVE YOU ANYMORE, GET YOUR OWN FUCKING FOOD!"
I really do hope you're wrong Dude.

We'll know by July 1st, and probably the draft.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Topper wrote:A hole in the Canucks youth you can and someone did, drive a truck through.

...................on this day in history..........
Wow Topper, that's "cryptic", even for you.

BTW I still don't get it...
I'm not the least bit surprised.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Fried potato.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

RoyalDude wrote:The Sedins are getting predictable in their old age, they are just getting fucking boring and their game is going south in a hurry. Did they even crack the top 30 in scoring this season, can't remember...
Henrik 20th with 45 points (11G 34A) in 48 games.
Daniel 31st with 40 points (12G 28A) in 47 games.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Spock wrote:

Was there a "final straw"? Is there something that would get you watching again?
There's been a progression really, a series of events resulting in my lack of interest.

The inept leadership at the helm of the league and the ridiculous decisions they make while trying to sell us on them as if we are a bunch of moronic assclowns.

The transition of the game back to a slow grind.

The sometimes inept and always inconsistent refereeing.

The fact that some referees appear to harbor grudges which sway their decision making.

Getting bored with the same old same old from the local team.

My line in the sand however was the most recent lockout. It was an absolute joke that it happened again within a decade of the last and a slap in the face to the fans of the game.

So fuck 'em.

Clearly they don't need me and I apparently can live happily ever after without them as well.
DeLevering since 1999.