Roster Questions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If an overhaul of this team is needed, which of the following players who should MG shop around...

Hank and Danny
7%
Edler
25%
Booth
26%
Higgins
5%
Bieksa
9%
Ballard
26%
Hamhuis
1%
None of the above
1%

Total votes: 173

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Roster Questions

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Topper wrote:So the Aqualung family is praised for allowing GMMG to spend to the cap ceiling, but GMMG is criticized for doing so.
Odd.
No no, I don't criticize him for spending to the cap. I think he has to learn to get out from under. Chicago always seems to be able to do it. Let go a handful of players every year but keep the core and keep on going. Perhaps its more his asset management or player assessment I am beginning to question.

I'm actually happy today with how he has cleaned up this mess. Just wish it was sooner i guess.
Yeah it's too bad MG doesn't hire a winning senior advisor, as Bowman has his dad and he makes the best shrewd moves to acquire the right mix of skill and grit to surround Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith & Seabrook every year.

*And if the Canucks were to go by the Chicago model, we'd have to deal both Burrows and Booth for one great sniping winger like a Hossa type.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

Hockey Widow wrote:[
No reason at all except winning, coaching, fan intolerance, press. Other than those no reason. :D

Joking aside, I would be fine with a kid line if they were contributing. I think we all know that we will see a few ECL contracts this season. Last year the excuse was because it was a shortened season. Well, now MG can say he is re-tooling, re-setting, tweaking or whatever. But the time has come for MG to get some of these guys playing and learning.

He said yesterday he thinks Lain is real close to making the team? Based upon what I'm not sure, perhaps desperate wishful thinking?
I would say that it's not out of the question to have kids to learn by fire these days. I just want to be able to see a line that will give there all without knowing any better.
Spock
CC Veteran

Post by Spock »

So if Ballard is bought out, Canucks still need a bunch of players signed - and will have money to pay Tanev.

My current expected Canucks roster in September 2013

Forward Lines
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Weise - Gaunce - Jensen
Sestito

Defense
Bieksa-Hamhuis
Edler - Garrison
Tanev - Corrado
? bum
? bum

Goaltenders
Luongo
Lack
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one."

Spock of Vulcan
Stardate 2476.8
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Spock wrote:So if Ballard is bought out, Canucks still need a bunch of players signed - and will have money to pay Tanev.

Forward Lines
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Weise - Gaunce - Jensen
Sestito

Defense
Bieksa-Hamhuis
Edler - Garrison
Tanev - Corrado
? bum
? bum

Goaltenders
Luongo
Lack
I think we will see someone other than Schroeder, probably a solid 3rd line guy. I fully expect JS to be traded now that we have Gaunce, Lain, and Horvat in the system. I also liked the suggestion from the other day (Coco I think) about picking up a guy like Boyd Gordon for the 4th line.

Btw Spock, is that just your mix of players or do you think that will be the order of the depth chart? I think we will see Tanev paired with Edler and Garrison with Corrado if indeed those are the names on the blueline in October. Corrado is young and will likely do better with an experienced partner, and Tanev will balance our AirhEdlers gaffs. Plus, both Corrado and Tanev are right handed shots.

I fully expect Torts to have Garrison on the point with the 1PP unit.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mëds wrote:
Spock wrote:So if Ballard is bought out, Canucks still need a bunch of players signed - and will have money to pay Tanev.

Forward Lines
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Weise - Gaunce - Jensen
Sestito

Defense
Bieksa-Hamhuis
Edler - Garrison
Tanev - Corrado
? bum
? bum

Goaltenders
Luongo
Lack
I think we will see someone other than Schroeder, probably a solid 3rd line guy. I fully expect JS to be traded now that we have Gaunce, Lain, and Horvat in the system. I also liked the suggestion from the other day (Coco I think) about picking up a guy like Boyd Gordon for the 4th line.
As MG said earlier, Lain might replace Lapierre on the 4th line. I am not sure having two rookies (JS included) to centre the 3rd and 4th line is a good idea. MG might want to have a veteran on the 3rd line. If that is the case, JS will be traded.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Kellan Lain is 23 years old, and may be more NHL ready than Gaunce at this point. Gaunce is still CHL eligible and I suspect he’ll be playing primarily in the OHL. I suspect Gaunce will get a look, but I doubt he sticks with the Canucks.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Yeah Gaunce and Horvat may get the 9 game tryout this fall but I doubt the team keeps either the full season (unless they are clearly ready for a top nine, 13-14 minutes a game type of role).

Lain may get a good shot on the fourth line, I believe he will win it if only because given the fourth lines we've iced over the last few years it's pretty obvious the team isn't too bothered by a fourth line that spends about seven or eight minutes a game being not particularly good at either end of the ice.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

dbr wrote:Yeah Gaunce and Horvat may get the 9 game tryout this fall but I doubt the team keeps either the full season (unless they are clearly ready for a top nine, 13-14 minutes a game type of role).

Lain may get a good shot on the fourth line, I believe he will win it if only because given the fourth lines we've iced over the last few years it's pretty obvious the team isn't too bothered by a fourth line that spends about seven or eight minutes a game being not particularly good at either end of the ice.

Torts loves to roll 4 lines and has said so. I would suspect they will try to get a 4th line he can roll with. But yes, MG said they think Lain is real close and I think they will plop him on the 4th line. But I can see them allowing a younger winger to move up to the 3rd or 4th line which would allow them to move Higgins or Hansen to the 4th.
The only HW the Canucks need
Spock
CC Veteran

Post by Spock »

Mëds wrote:

Forward Lines
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Weise - Gaunce - Jensen
Sestito

Defense
Bieksa-Hamhuis
Edler - Garrison
Tanev - Corrado

Goaltenders
Luongo
Lack

Btw Spock, is that just your mix of players or do you think that will be the order of the depth chart? I think we will see Tanev paired with Edler and Garrison with Corrado if indeed those are the names on the blueline in October. Corrado is young and will likely do better with an experienced partner, and Tanev will balance our AirhEdlers gaffs. Plus, both Corrado and Tanev are right handed shots.

I fully expect Torts to have Garrison on the point with the 1PP unit.
JS is an RFA - so he may or not be qualified I suppose. Given the overall limited depth the Canucks have in their system, I can't see him just being thrown in the junk pile. He is probably too small to be a true centerman - might not be a bad idea to try him on wing. Problem being - the Canucks are very thin down the middle as we saw last season.

Re: defense pairings - I don't know who Torts will put with whom. But there is a serious lack of depth at defense without Ballard and Alberts. I would not give Barker another sniff at the ice - he was atrocious.

I wouldn't mind the talent being spread out among the lines and rolling the 4 lines to see if they can get some favorable matchups against 3rd pairing defensemen....
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one."

Spock of Vulcan
Stardate 2476.8
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

The Canucks qualified Schroeder, Tanev and Weise earlier.
Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer
The #Canucks did not qualify three RFAs by today's deadline: Derek Joslin, Prab Rai and Stefan Schneider.
What is going to happen with Yann Sauve?

Never mind...
Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer
Besides Tanev and Weise, #Canucks also qualified Jordan Schroeder, Bill Sweatt, Kellan Lain, Anton Rodin, Darren Archibald & Yann Sauve.
Last edited by Jovocop on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

The Joslin one surprises me a bit. The others don't.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Forward Lines
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Weise - Gaunce - Jensen
Sestito

Defense
Bieksa-Hamhuis
Edler - Garrison
Tanev - Corrado
? bum
? bum

Goaltenders
Luongo
Lack
Unless JT can work miracles this looks like another long season and a short playoff run.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Spock wrote: JS is an RFA - so he may or not be qualified I suppose. Given the overall limited depth the Canucks have in their system, I can't see him just being thrown in the junk pile. He is probably too small to be a true centerman - might not be a bad idea to try him on wing. Problem being - the Canucks are very thin down the middle as we saw last season.

Re: defense pairings - I don't know who Torts will put with whom. But there is a serious lack of depth at defense without Ballard and Alberts. I would not give Barker another sniff at the ice - he was atrocious.

I wouldn't mind the talent being spread out among the lines and rolling the 4 lines to see if they can get some favorable matchups against 3rd pairing defensemen....
I forgot that Schroeder is RFA. That changes things a little. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he play a few stints on the wing during the WJC's? It's a while ago and I can't remember exactly.

I thought that Barker looked like a slower, and weaker shooting, version of Edler out there this year. I'm not saying bring him back, just that his hockey sense was often on par with our highest paid defenseman.....just fewer physical tools to go with it.

Depending on what happens with buyouts, trades, and free agency, the idea of spreading out the talent could be a good one. Right now we only have 3 players who can dominate the play to a degree that they would exploit a weak 3rd pairing. Henrik, Daniel, and Kesler. I think we would need one more true top 6 forward to make spreading it out worthwhile without sacrificing a lot on our top 2 lines.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Schroeder will be qualified. I don’t think it makes any sense not to. He’s a cheap young player who has very little trade value and has proven to be a serviceable, albeit marginal, NHL centre. He seems to have decent hockey sense and may yet turn into a decent NHL player.

I don’t think there’s much to be excited about here, but I don’t think it makes sense to give up on him at this point. He has played three full professional seasons though, so it’s getting close to put up or shut up time for Schroeder.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

herb wrote:Schroeder will be qualified. I don’t think it makes any sense not to. He’s a cheap young player who has very little trade value and has proven to be a serviceable, albeit marginal, NHL centre. He seems to have decent hockey sense and may yet turn into a decent NHL player.

I don’t think there’s much to be excited about here, but I don’t think it makes sense to give up on him at this point. He has played three full professional seasons though, so it’s getting close to put up or shut up time for Schroeder.
Schroeder has been qualified. :P