Round 1 Discussion (non Canucks)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: Round 1 Discussion (non Canucks)

Post by Aaronp18 »

That girl nearest the TV is a closet Canucks fan, check out the smirk she's hiding!

:wink:
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...I watched the final 10 minutes and all the OT of the Pens/Sens game the other night.

Longest duration of hockey I've seen all year.

It was great!

Highly entertaining.

I'll venture a guess that the local team looked nothing like any of that this season past.
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

donlever wrote: I'll venture a guess that the local team looked nothing like any of that this season past.
We saw flashes.

None of which were in the playoffs!
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Aaronp18 wrote:
donlever wrote: I'll venture a guess that the local team looked nothing like any of that this season past.
We saw flashes.

None of which were in the playoffs!
They were very far and few between... and outside of the last Chicago game, never for a full 60 minutes.

Most of the games we did win were on the back of one of the goalies.
2011..... the one that got away.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote: They were very far and few between... and outside of the last Chicago game, never for a full 60 minutes.

The only other game that comes to mind was the Kings game they won 5-2.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Is Bert injured or just too old and slow for the mighty Reds? I was surprised to see him scratched...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote: They were very far and few between... and outside of the last Chicago game, never for a full 60 minutes.

They looked good in two (partial) games this year?

Wow.

Playing their asses off for AV eh?

Let's play a game and guess some of the excuses:

Luo and Schneids both here caused issues

Kes hurt

Other injuries

Refs

Ballards fault

To small

Not tough enough

Coaching makes to many changes to lines
DeLevering since 1999.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

donlever wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:

They looked good in two (partial) games this year?

Wow.

Let's play a game and guess some of the excuses:

Kes hurt

Other injuries

Refs

Ballards fault

To small

Not tough enough

Added up thems formidable issues :bang: :bang:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

donlever wrote: They looked good in two (partial) games this year?

Wow.

Don, honestly they looked great in those two games against Chicago and LA that others are talking about.

There were a few other games where they looked strong (the second game against Anaheim, our first game, a SOL, against LA, and our other games against Chicago come to mind).

Aside from a handful of games, the team played like garbage. Most games against "inferior" opposition were downright disappointing to watch as they either squeeked out wins or looked terrible (see any game against Edmonton this year).

donlever wrote: Let's play a game and guess some of the excuses:

Kes hurt

Other injuries

Refs

Ballards fault

To small

Not tough enough

I honestly don't think any excuses fly this year. Last year they were "tired", in years previous injuries were the excuse.

Not this time. This is a talented, experienced, deep, veteran team that simply did not look interested and/or motivated to get up and play 60+ minutes most nights. There was no hunger or excitement to play. This team looked like they expected to win, and most nights they were in there despite pathetic efforts, but they couldn't be bothered to put in the required effort. Looking back and hindsight being what it is, we saw the exact same thing in 2011/12. A team that looked like it thought it was entitled to win, but wasn't willing to go out there and do what's needed to earn victories. Did they forget each season starts anew after 2010/11?

This is very troubling, and points to major leadership issues which is why the first move has to be to fire the entire coaching staff. Then the core "leadership" group needs to be examined, remoulded, rebuilt, added to, whatever.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

herb wrote:
This is very troubling, and points to major leadership issues which is why the first move has to be to fire the entire coaching staff. Then the core "leadership" group needs to be examined, remoulded, rebuilt, added to, whatever.
Yeah.

My view from afar looks like trouble to me.

Sedins aging (when do they hit the can't get it done wall like Naslund, Linden et cetera), Kesler injury prone (?), minimal farm depth, kinda smallish non-aggro group, coaching staff good but played out here, some shitty contracts to deal with and a new cap coming...

It seems like it's closing in on last call and the Canucks might just be going home alone.

Again.
DeLevering since 1999.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

donlever wrote:
herb wrote:
Yeah.

Sedins aging (when do they hit the can't get it done wall like Naslund, Linden et cetera), Kesler injury prone (?), minimal farm depth, kinda smallish non-aggro group, coaching staff good but played out here, some shitty contracts to deal with and a new cap coming...

It seems like it's closing in on last call and the Canucks might just be going home alone.

Again.
If you were going to pick a year to move core guys for 1st rounders(while they still have some value---ahem... Flames)...this would be the one. An exceptionally deep draft(supposedly) looms ahead and sometimes it takes an honest eye from management to recognize when your goose is cooked. This would also be an admission of failure, so this course of action likely doesn't happen without a change at the top.
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

donlever wrote:
herb wrote:
Yeah.

Again.
More sandpaper in the vaseline?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Topper wrote: More sandpaper in the vaseline?
For one night anyway, if you're drunk enough and have tried everything else.

It might hurt like a cocksucker but a nice payoff may come from it.
DeLevering since 1999.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

donlever wrote: Yeah.

Again.
Well, colour me optimistic, but this neurotic Canucks fan doesn't quite think this group (i.e. the Sedin era) is done yet!

There are still some very good pieces, but the overhaul this team needs is substantial. The goal has been to be competitive every year like Detroit, but to continue to do so, the Canucks need a serious injection of youth. I'm talking four or five early 20-something guys who can contribute every night and bring some much needed life to this group. Maybe Jensen and Gaunce can contribute next year, but either way reinforcements definitely need to be brought in from other organizations in the form of bold moves.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

herb wrote: Well, colour me optimistic.
You can always hope right?

I mean sheee-it, the Saints won a Gawd damned Super Bowl did they not?!

Hence.

Anything can happen.
DeLevering since 1999.