Round 1 Discussion (non Canucks)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Round 1 Discussion (non Canucks)

Post by herb »

tantalum wrote:Bruins also don't have a great cap situation about $6.5 mil cap room next year and that is not counting Horton (UFA), Ference (UFA), and Rask (RFA) who totalled about $10 mil in cap space this season. Rask himself is likely to take up much of that remaining cap room for next season. It's why I believe one of Horton or Lucic ($6 mil cap hit starting next season) will have to be gone. That is likely Horton.
Horton is a gonzo for sure. Boston also only has Bergeron and Seidenberg signed through next season.

Horton is an interesting guy. He's not an elite level winger, is more of a middling 1st/2nd line guy, will be 28 in a couple of weeks and will be chasing a big, long term deal, no doubt. Could be a big mistake. His best years could be behind him, and I don't think we need a middling 1st/2nd liners. We need a bona fide 30G/60Pt guy.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I think Gillis has to make a couple of moves around/at the draft to fill in the holes. Depending on what he fills, Horton may be very high on his list when free agency opens (if Horton is still around). But I do think he tries to find a younger guy by making deals first. I don't normally get concerned when a move isn't made at the draft but I think this year is the exception for me. Deals need to be made as there is little in the way of upper end talent on the free agent market.

Not sure where one finds a bonafide 30 goal scorer when in a typical year only 30 guys reach that mark. Bonafide 30 goal scorers under the age of 30 don't get to free agency all that often. Horton as a consistent 25 goal scorer is likely to be the closest thing on the FA market. Which means he'll likely end up being overpriced.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

tantalum wrote:Not sure where one finds a bonafide 30 goal scorer when in a typical year only 30 guys reach that mark. Bonafide 30 goal scorers under the age of 30 don't get to free agency all that often. Horton as a consistent 25 goal scorer is likely to be the closest thing on the FA market. Which means he'll likely end up being overpriced.
Nor am I.

Hopefully Gillis can figure this out, though, as this team is in desperate need of a legitimate scoring threat on Kesler's wing. That's not likely to be Raymond, Burrows, Kassian, Booth, Jensen or Gaunce, so Gillis is going to have to go out and find that somewhere.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

If only the Leaf fans weren't so fucking cocky I would root for their team.

So just to shut their fans up, I'm relunctantly semi hoping the Bruins win tonight lulz
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

So hard to know who to cheer for leaves/Bruins, but so far it's a good game!
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

boy oh boy i thought boston was going to run em out of the rink early on but the trust fund babies have settled in this has been a helluva series...
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Lucic blasts Gunnarson into the boards from two feet out: no penalty.

Hughson took the words out of my mouth: "There's someone in Vancouver asking: Daniel Sedin got a penalty and Lucic didn't?"

Boston makes it 4-3.... wow!

edit. You. Have. Got. To. Be. Fucking. Kidding.

There were so many times that Toronto bent in the third... you knew they had to break eventually.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

darren wrote: You. Have. Got. To. Be. Fucking. Kidding.
LOLOL wow!

Last edited by SKYO on Mon May 13, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Well now that was a hell of a choke job the final ten minutes of the third by the leaves. Positively canuck-ish.

Interesting to see if Carlyle can calm them down or if they will complete the choke. But Riemer not looking so good right now. Bad rebound control and not following the puck that well. First goal of the night on him also wasn't great. Guess he decided to channel Luongo....
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

the leaves are getting fucked by the refs...
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

It a Canadian thing Chum....don't worry about it you will just get called a whiner
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

the Dogsalmon wrote:the leaves are getting fucked by the refs...
Meh. They got away with a lot of stuff early and got the benefit of calls early.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

And the Bruins avoid the series choke thanks to the leaves with a spectacular in-game choke job.
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

God, I hate Boston.

Well, normally I wouldn't much care about Leaf fortunes.... if you want their fans to suffer, I think you've been granted your wish. :?

So let's see if we get a riot now :lol:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

darren wrote:Lucic blasts Gunnarson into the boards from two feet out: no penalty.

Hughson took the words out of my mouth: "There's someone in Vancouver asking: Daniel Sedin got a penalty and Lucic didn't?"

Boston makes it 4-3.... wow!

edit. You. Have. Got. To. Be. Fucking. Kidding.

There were so many times that Toronto bent in the third... you knew they had to break eventually.
Loser 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)