Canucks Vs Sharks, Round I

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Vs Sharks, Round I

Post by Meds »

tantalum wrote:In defense of AV....Ebbett gives him another center if he needs to play with the lines by, say, loading up the second line with Roy and Kesler.

If Booth and Schroeder weren't hurt I don't think we see Ebbett at all. But they are so we do. I don't know is Sestito would be any better to be honest. Ideally you want Weise as the 13th forward and Ebbett/Sestito as the 14/15 guys.
At least Sestito can hit and fight. Something this team needs to have in the lineup against a team like SJ who like to push the Sedins and our other smaller forwards around.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Sharks no longer have Clowe, Murray or McGinn who were the biggest pains on that front. Their leading PIM guy had 61 minutes (Dejardins). Havlat is second. They aren't the same borderline excessively rough team as they have been in years past. Of course it is precisely that change that may make them a more effective team...they spent far too much time attempting to intimidate with physical play they got in penalty trouble or lost focus on what was most important. They will be physical but I don't see them being more physical than every other playoff team.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

herb wrote:Schneider is taking the full team practice today (not a huge surprise, but good to see none the less).

Tanev still has a walking boot on.

Lines today in practice are (I'm assuming this is pretty indicative of the game 1 lineup):

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Roy-Hansen
Higgins-Kesler-Kassian
Ebbett-Lapierre-Weise
Sestito-etc-etc-etc

Hamhuis-Garrison
Edler-Bieksa
Alberts-Corrado

Barker-Ballard

People will bitch about Ballard being the odd guy out...my only comment is I'd rather Ballard play over Ebbett. This would be the second time in his Vancouver Canucks career that a healthy Ballard would sit in lieu of a rookie.
I agree. On the 4th line, Ballard for sure, due to his size and toughness.. Especially with Corrado n Alberts. Ballard is cheap (*cough*) insurance if one of them Luongo's the bed. If it was the 3rd line, Ebbett has some skill, and fits better up the lineup. But, he makes our 4th line pretty small, and crappy.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I've never really bought this idea that the Canucks over-expended themselves pushing for the second President's Trophy. The players said all along that it didn't really matter to them, and I believe them.

This year the Canucks have almost thrown games for the past few weeks by the lineup they've been icing. Were it the playoffs all of those guys would likely have played. I think this is going to make a bigger difference than whether or not they were "going for" the PT.

I'm only worried if the depleted lineup we've seen the past few weeks really is the best the Canucks can ice. If our suspicions about the seriousness of the "body injuries" are correct, I think the Canucks can go deep.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

ESQ wrote:I've never really bought this idea that the Canucks over-expended themselves pushing for the second President's Trophy. The players said all along that it didn't really matter to them, and I believe them.
They didn't really win it anyways. The Rangers lost it.
2011..... the one that got away.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

the rangers may have lost it..but as a result we won it....:)

Nucks in 6 guys and gals...book it :mex:

we will see more of the hawk game canucks than not, it wont be full tilt for at least a few games maybe not even till 2nd round when some of that swagger returns...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

rats19 wrote:the rangers may have lost it..but as a result we won it....:)

It will be in six... but it won't be us.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:

Oh Fuck Off :evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Arachnid wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:

I'm really not feeling it this year my man.

Would love to be proven wrong though.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

its been said 1000 times.. depends on who shows up....if the hawk game canucks show up...we will be hard to beat period..by anybody..if the other canuck team shows up we will be lucky to advance past the 1st round. I however, believe that our swagger will increase 1/16 per win.. until the final win where we bring home lord stanley.

yah i dream...therefore I am
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

We will certainly see. At times this group has looked stinky and stale, but has been noted they have been great this year against LA and Chicago.

For me this is the last hurrah with the 2011 group. If we don't win the Cup, or at least advance to the Conference Finals, there should be major changes including with the coaching staff and core players. It looks like a retool and reset may be required, but again, we'll see which group shows up.

I am cautiously optimistic. I'd feel better if Schneider, Tanev and Booth were ready and raring to go, but we have a relatively deep group, and are as good if not better than San Jose in most areas. We are capable of so much more offensively than we have displayed over this shortened season, and I'm looking for breakout playoff performances from a few players (Hansen, Garrison, Kassian..all the guys who end in 'n's' I guess).
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Looking forward to these next few games should be a lot of fun. I am really pleased not to have to listen to any CBC jerks. I am so fed up with Cherry and his monkey that I mute it every time they appear. TSN has better coverage and I too like Cuthbert and Ferraro. Ferraro has a good grasp on what is happening and Cuthbert calls a non-biased game. Compare that to the anybody but the Canucks crap that pours out of the CBC.

I'm in the camp that would have preferred to see Sestito start the first game. It has become a common event, in the playoffs in particular, to run the Sedins with intent to injure. The only way to stop that is to run their skill guys the very first time San Jose attempts it. The only way we win that war is with size and muscle in the line up. I am also surprised to see Higgins with Kelser and Kassian instead of Roy and Hansen. When Kesler had his monster playoffs wasn't Raymond his winger?

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Roy-Hansen
Sestito-Lapierre-Weise

Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Bieksa
Alberts - Corrado

That would be my starting line up. If we had a center go down you double up someone else until the game is over. If it's the PK, we have Burrows, Raymond, Kesler, Higgins, Hansen, Lapierre and Weisse who have done it this year, you don't need Ebbett. Ebbett should only come into play if there is an injury. As for goal we have two tremendous goalies who are both capable of winning it for us. I think it will be tougher than some predict but I'm going for Canucks in 7.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think it is a wash flipping Kesler and Roy. Perhaps Roy is a better set up man and/or Kesler is a better checker?

Looks like AV is trying to establish that checking line, which means Kesler will get a lot of ice time. He has also played very well with Higgins int he past. Just find a balance so we can roll three good lines and have a decent 4th line that can bring some energy and play some meaningful minutes.
The only HW the Canucks need
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:

Would love to be proven wrong though.
Tigers taking bets... :)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Would love to be proven wrong though.[/quote]

Feeling it is for your[ mod edit] and your feelings. The Canucks are about FAITH and MAGIC.