Canucks Vs Sharks, Round I

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks Vs Sharks, Round I

Post by Boston Canucker »

Thinking about how they played in the 3rd period, which was really just not to lose instead of to win, to take the game by throat (just take a look at just 3 hits in the 3rd), it seems that there is the same pall of doom over the team that there is with a lot of the fans (I don't exclude myself). If they can get the win on Friday, and really play well, I think they can snap out of it. Right now, as the losing in the playoffs builds, you can almost feel they are waiting for something bad to happen. The great thing about 2011 (apart from the very end) is that that team had the confidence to never feel like it was out of any game, always playing to win. Since then, they seem too scared to play with confidence, urgency...if they lose Friday, they're likely fucked, but if they can just squeeze that 2nd game out, hopefully with Schneids in the net, and have a positive feeling about the playoffs - for the first time in almost two years - maybe they can shake these playoff doldrums.

Something's amiss...time to snap out of it boys...Ginger, get in there and open that god damn window!
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:Here's an interesting little bit of recent Canucks playoff history.....

With this inception of the team, since Luongo arriving in Vancouver, the Canucks have NOT won a playoff series in which they lost the first game. In fact, other than 2007 against the Ducks, and 2012 against the Kings, Vancouver has won the first game of every series they've played in. They have

I really don't think that this team has the chops to actually get it done. The talent is there, but the heart is only beating half of the time, the gameplan is all wrong, and their playbook is in the hands of every opponent they face.

But I still want them to win. I still hope they can get it done. So I hope that this kick in the arse is what they needed. I hope that having to claw their way back into it gets them revved up and actually playing like they can. The only time this group has ever come from behind in a series was in 2010 against the Kings. They split at home, then lost game 3 in LA. Then rallied behind a Luongo performance for the books and stormed back to kick the Kings asses in 3 straight. And I remember knowing they'd do it after they tied the series. You could just tell they were ready to get it done. They ended up losing to the Hawks, but that Chicago team was STACKED and absolutely flying. Regardless, they woke up and played like they can.

So here's hoping having to come from behind in this series is the spark that they needed.
Wow Mëds did you sneak into the pharmacy at work or what? Awesomely optimistic of you. I agree that its possible that a kick in the ass could work, lets hope so eh?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Reefer2 wrote:I said Canucks in 6.

Up to AV and the Sedins.
AV, new coach, Lindsey Ruff, Scotty Bowman ain't gonna change much with this team. At the end of the day, it comes down to the players and the people who acquired those players for the coach to work with. Coaches are just fall guys for GM's when shit goes wrong.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mondi wrote: Offence better wake up fast.
And the song remains the same, as it has been for the last season and a half. Maybe we should dress AV cause apparently he is the reason why we can't score.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

RoyalDude wrote:
And the song remains the same, as it has been for the last season and a half. Maybe we should dress AV cause apparently he is the reason why we can't score.
You must be in your glory RD. Are you counting the days till ellimination? ;)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

wafflecombine wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Au contraire my friend, I've just don't share the same blissful ignorance with this group that you do, If you want me to get out the Pom poms like Arachnid, well that just ain't gonna happen.

That being said, it's a new season now and anything can happen. However, what concerns me more is not so much the Canucks but how good and fast the Sharks looked last night. They are miles faster without Murray, Clowe and Handzus in the lineup. Speed kills
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Where is the scoring? This team is largely the same as 2010 and 2011 where we were the highest scoring team in the league? What the hell happened?

Where the hell are the Sedins? Where is Dank, he of over 300 career goals? Did he forget how to shoot the damn puck during the lockout? Where is the Hank from March 2, 2013 against LA where he played out of his mind and made Anze Kopitar look like a fool? Where's the end to end rushing Hank from game 5 of the LA series a few years ago? I don't see that urgency from our captain and team leaders, other than Bieksa.

At the end of the day, we played OK in game one, but we certainly did not step up and try to take over the game. We didn't carry ourselves to victory, we hoped to keep the game close and hope we could squeek out a win. It's like we're hoping we can win, but not expecting it. Was that 2011 team all Raffi Torres and Christian Ehrhoff, or did the rest of this group not play a role as well?

If we come out Friday, play dominantly (think like how we played against LA and Chicago this year) and win, then I think we'll be OK. Another game like tonight where we play hoping we can pull out a win, and we're toast.

My Game 2 lineup is:

Dank-Hank-Kass
Higgens-Kesler-Raymond
Hansen-Roy-Burrows
Sestito-Lapierre-Weise

Hamhuis-Garrison
Edler-Bieksa
Alberts-Corrado

SCHNEIDER
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:
wafflecombine wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Au contraire my friend, I've just don't share the same blissful ignorance with this group that you do, If you want me to get out the Pom poms like Arachnid, well that just ain't gonna happen.

That being said, it's a new season now and anything can happen. However, what concerns me more is not so much the Canucks but how good and fast the Sharks looked last night. They are miles faster without Murray, Clowe and Handzus in the lineup. Speed kills
:lol: Am I getting under you're skin BikerDied?

I can assure you I am just an average fan, the same one that supported this team since 1970 and through some very shit years, some people forget where they come from and as soon as they get a taste of the good life (SCF) they can't handle anything else.

I suggest you enjoy the talent they have and not pine for the talent they should, could or might of had...

Are you even watching the same game? It's like you are rooting for yourself to be right. It's getting kinda sad man.
Sharks did not look faster nor did they dominate, it was kind of a boring game compared to the other series so far.
Last edited by Arachnid on Thu May 02, 2013 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Arachnid wrote:Are you watch the same game? Sharks did not look faster nor did they dominate, it was kind of a boring game compared to the other series so far.
All three games last night were boring, at least the parts I watched. They were nothing like LA/St Louis, which is shaping up to be a fantastic series.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

herb wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Are you watch the same game? Sharks did not look faster nor did they dominate, it was kind of a boring game compared to the other series so far.
All three games last night were boring, at least the parts I watched. They were nothing like LA/St Louis, which is shaping up to be a fantastic series.
The Bear/Laugh game was entertaining in that they raped them and played dirty like we all know they can.
When they did that to us I took a lot of heat here and was told we were soft and whiney and now today I am hearing a lot of bitching about Boston....made my morning :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

herb wrote:Where is the scoring? This team is largely the same as 2010 and 2011
We are 2 and 9 in our last 11 playoff games and just a measly 13 goals for in those 11 games. This problem isn't new, something Gillis refuses to address.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

RoyalDude wrote:Au contraire my friend, I've just don't share the same blissful ignorance with this group that you do, If you want me to get out the Pom poms like Arachnid, well that just ain't gonna happen.

Don't require any pom-poms or unreasoned clearleading. I simply find the tone of your posts excessively negative and you are always in the fray when something goes wrong and almost never when things go right; and when you are, you still have a complaint against something. You remind me of a farmer who can always find something wrong with the weather.

Now having said this, I do agree with your assessment that a faster Sharks team is a dangerous Sharks team. We got out worked at key times. If we want to win the next game, that needs to change.

cheer up chief, eventually the porridge will be the right temperature even for you :)
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Botchford says Kesler admitted to having the flu and throwing up yesterday morning.

Schneider has a groin strain and the team has essentially admitted it. He pointed it out when it happened against Chicago in a video link.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

So, Luongo starts Game 2. If we go down 2-0 at home and Schneids starts game 3 in California can we just call this Canuck show groundhog day and be done with it.

I like Lui, but one of my hopes, my optimism, about the playoffs was seeing how Schneids would do ,whether he could carry the team, and how far...but now, here we go again.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

RoyalDude wrote:We are 2 and 9 in our last 11 playoff games and just a measly 13 goals for in those 11 games. This problem isn't new, something Gillis refuses to address.
Refuses to address? I’m not sure I agree with that.

Gillis has recently brought in 30 goal scorer David Booth, 16 goal scorer defenceman Jason Garrison and perennial 60+ point guy Derek Roy. He also brought in Chris Higgins, who was an upgrade on the 3rd line at the time. Sure, the results are mixed at this early juncture of these playoffs in terms of some of the players added, but certainly attempts have been made. As you point out, there is a trend going back the last several playoff games where the offense has dried up, but this isn’t a case of Brian Burke refusing to upgrade in goal and instead leaving us with Dan the Man.

The mystery I’m trying to solve is why has the offensive production of the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler and to a lesser extent Raymond dropped so much?

Where oh where has our offense gone? Where oh where can it be?