Canucks Vs Sharks, Round I

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Vs Sharks, Round I

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
Kassian needs a coach to believe in him.
Kassian needs to look in the mirror. A coach can't play the bloody game for him. It all falls on his shoulders not the coaching staff.He needs to start making the most of every shift he gets. It seems like he's just out there for a skate most the time. He's played the game his whole life, he doesn't need a bloody coach to tell him how to play hockey and what's required of him. How about we start calling him out instead of drumming up lame excuse after another for him.
How can any player who never has the same line mates or role from game to game ever get better. The kid is 22 years old and should never be mistaken for Crosby but he does have skill which is why he almost had a point per game in both the OHL and AHL.

It is complete BS when people post that good players make other players better. AGain sure if your name is Gretzky or Crosby but not someone like Kassian. Before anyone shits on the kid he needs a year with a coach to be given a real chance. I learnt this lesson from crapping on Kesler too early and for once Pot was correct :mrgreen: . The kid needs 15 mins a night with skilled team mates, if after 40+ games without riding the pine because he makes a rookie mistake then you may be correct.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Aaronp18 wrote:For some reason I didn't think playoff games counted. Much like preseason games.

Players aren't paid for the playoff games, the year is extended to the end of the regular season IIRC.

But if you can provide a link I would stand corrected. I can't seem to find anything on the new CBA about this.
Mostly seen on twitter from the beat reporters and this one,

When this Corrado situation was talked about when 'Mike Gillis gave Matt Sekeres and Blake Price a pretty meaty interview on the Team 1040'.
http://bit.ly/11l7psz
In particular Gillis was asked if the team would be willing to burn the first year of Corrado's entry-level contract, which because Frank Corrado didn't turn twenty until this past spring is on schedule to "slide" so long the rookie defenceman plays in fewer than six NHL games, including playoffs, this season. His answer was definitive

"Absolutely [we'd burn the first year of Corrado's entry-level contract] we're here to win hockey games. The consequence of burning a year for Frank isn't going to be that much of a consequence."
This was before Vancouver was 2 games away from elimination however, can see why and if MG tells coach to sit Corrado now.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Aaronp18 wrote:For some reason I didn't think playoff games counted. Much like preseason games.

Players aren't paid for the playoff games, the year is extended to the end of the regular season IIRC.

But if you can provide a link I would stand corrected. I can't seem to find anything on the new CBA about this.
Mostly seen on twitter from the beat reporters and this one,

And when this Corrado situation was talked about when 'Mike Gillis gave Matt Sekeres and Blake Price a pretty meaty interview on the Team 1040'.
http://bit.ly/11l7psz
In particular Gillis was asked if the team would be willing to burn the first year of Corrado's entry-level contract, which because Frank Corrado didn't turn twenty until this past spring is on schedule to "slide" so long the rookie defenceman plays in fewer than six NHL games, including playoffs, this season. His answer was definitive

"Absolutely [we'd burn the first year of Corrado's entry-level contract] we're here to win hockey games. The consequence of burning a year for Frank isn't going to be that much of a consequence."
This was before Vancouver was 2 games away from elimination however, can see why and if MG tells coach to sit Corrado now.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

If the Sedins and Kassian need a spark, I'd say just put him with the twins full time!

Put Burrows with the beast.

Sedins - Kassian
Raymond - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Roy - Hansen
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
Was Higgins even playing yesterday? Didn't even hear his name.
I like Higgins but sometimes there isn't much of an impact to his game which is why you can hardly notice him at times. I think that's been the biggest problem for him in the NHL and why he moves around a lot.
It's also why a cap hit of $2.5M is worth it for him. He's like Edler of the forward group, has the tools, but is inconsistent.....he doesn't commit near the number of mistakes as Edler though.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:I like Schneider but the difference between Luongo and Schneider is that Lou is a bit of an iron man and seems to always be healthy, or not plagued by injuries.
Except when he had a groin strain a few years ago and missed a pile of games. Then came back and missed a few more. Then came back and was inconsistent for a while.....

Has Schneider been hurt a whole bunch in his career or something?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Reefer2 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
Kassian needs a coach to believe in him.
Kassian needs to look in the mirror. A coach can't play the bloody game for him. It all falls on his shoulders not the coaching staff.He needs to start making the most of every shift he gets. It seems like he's just out there for a skate most the time. He's played the game his whole life, he doesn't need a bloody coach to tell him how to play hockey and what's required of him. How about we start calling him out instead of drumming up lame excuse after another for him.
How can any player who never has the same line mates or role from game to game ever get better. The kid is 22 years old and should never be mistaken for Crosby but he does have skill which is why he almost had a point per game in both the OHL and AHL.

It is complete BS when people post that good players make other players better. AGain sure if your name is Gretzky or Crosby but not someone like Kassian. Before anyone shits on the kid he needs a year with a coach to be given a real chance. I learnt this lesson from crapping on Kesler too early and for once Pot was correct :mrgreen: . The kid needs 15 mins a night with skilled team mates, if after 40+ games without riding the pine because he makes a rookie mistake then you may be correct.
A good comparison here would be Bertuzzi. He was a late first round pick by the Islanders, but he had a slow start. Never found a defined role in New York, was up and down, and eventually traded to Vancouver. It wasn't until he found chemistry with Naslund, and played for a coach that utilized him effectively that he took off and reached his potential. There are many young players like this in the NHL. They shine when put in the right situation with the right linemates. They are lost in obscurity when they are bounced around and never given direction.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Somebody pass me the Mëds so I can sit down and watch the LA series repeat itself with San Jose. I used to be reluctant to blame the coaching staff for the crap that some million dollar pro hockey players brought to the ice, and then respond with "We have to work harder", thinking to myself so why haven't you? But after watching AV and co for the last few years, and in particular the last two playoff series I'm beginning to think Maggie the Monkey should be looking for a position behind the Canuck bench.

One minute left in the game, with a face off in the Canucks zone and rather than take a time out and let Kesler and Burrows and another checking forward close it out, Bam Bam sends out Harold and Kumar on defence, and the Sedins magic act, and poof just like that the lead disappears. Come on AV, couldn't have at least worked Ebbet into the picture?

In respect to Kassian, Schroeder et al there was an interesting comment from Mike Babcock about the adjustment the Wings had to make with different faces and younger players in the lineup. He said he didn't have the luxury of just changing lines during a game, he had to coach and tell those players what he wanted them to do as the game progressed. Hey AV, what a novel approach, it's called player development. Of course it's no where near as subtle as the Nurse
Rachett approach to hockey, speaking of which where's the thorazine for game three.

I'll go quietly now...
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

Arbour wrote:Somebody pass me the Mëds so I can sit down and watch the LA series repeat itself with San Jose. I used to be reluctant to blame the coaching staff for the crap that some million dollar pro hockey players brought to the ice, and then respond with "We have to work harder", thinking to myself so why haven't you? But after watching AV and co for the last few years, and in particular the last two playoff series I'm beginning to think Maggie the Monkey should be looking for a position behind the Canuck bench.

One minute left in the game, with a face off in the Canucks zone and rather than take a time out and let Kesler and Burrows and another checking forward close it out, Bam Bam sends out Harold and Kumar on defence, and the Sedins magic act, and poof just like that the lead disappears. Come on AV, couldn't have at least worked Ebbet into the picture?

In respect to Kassian, Schroeder et al there was an interesting comment from Mike Babcock about the adjustment the Wings had to make with different faces and younger players in the lineup. He said he didn't have the luxury of just changing lines during a game, he had to coach and tell those players what he wanted them to do as the game progressed. Hey AV, what a novel approach, it's called player development. Of course it's no where near as subtle as the Nurse
Rachett approach to hockey, speaking of which where's the thorazine for game three.

I'll go quietly now...
I agree. Kassian is 22. Why does the coaching stop? The vast majority of these young guys coming into the league still need instruction and help. They are developing, and to make the best of them is to ensure they don't flounder. How can anyone not recognize that Kassian could/should be moulded into a Bertuzzi? The game is so fast at this level. If he were given strict instructions as to what to do on each shift (go to the front of the net- stay there) then he would have success and confidence. That goes for the other young guys too. A friendly reminder here and there to Corado that what works in the CHL can't work in the NHL and pointers on adjustments. Is that too hard? Schroeder has so much potential - develop it!

We are coming to the end of the Sedin era. Bring in a coach who can manage the veterans and teach the younger players.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Where is the guy who, before the trade deadline, argued with me that scoring wasnt a problem? LOL.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

The_Pauser wrote:Where is the guy who, before the trade deadline, argued with me that scoring wasnt a problem? LOL.
He went thata way ------>
2011..... the one that got away.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

‏"Looks like Ballard is in for Alberts. Corrado playing tonight means 1st year of his entry level deal is burned."
~Farhan Lalji

O̶h̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶S̶c̶h̶r̶o̶e̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶F̶I̶N̶A̶L̶L̶Y̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶i̶n̶v̶i̶s̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶E̶b̶b̶e̶t̶t̶.̶ :thumbs: :mad:

Plus the man is back Cory Schneider, team for whatever reason plays more focused and energized out there with him in net.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Reefer2 wrote:I said Canucks in 6.

Up to AV and the Sedins.
I said Sharks in 6.

Looks lke we're both way off.
2011..... the one that got away.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

The only positive I can take from this giant mess is Couture and friends might be single handedly taking the diving crown away from Vancouver.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Larry Goodenough wrote:The only positive I can take from this giant mess is Couture and friends might be single handedly taking the diving crown away from Vancouver.
wahoo... 8-)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….