Canucks Vs Sharks, Round I

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Vs Sharks, Round I

Post by Hockey Widow »

Knowing now that CS has an injury serious enough that he cannot start or back up in this game has me seething at AV. At the time I was like a lot of people and thought the injury was either non-existent or minor and that it was a good plan to get Luongo some action. Knowing what we do now there is no way Luongo should have started against Edmonton.

One, you want him healthy just in case and two, you need to get Cannata a game in before the playoffs. If they were meaningful games fine, go with Luongo for both, but they had no meaning for us in the standings whatsoever. Especially having Luongo loosing the net in the third period, you pull him, get him off the ice and get the kid in there to get a taste of an NHL games in case the unthinkable happens.

Now you have Luongo who himself was seething after the game having to start game one.
The only HW the Canucks need
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I completely disagree. In retrospect playing Luongo in Edmonton may have been because they knew Schneider wasn't for sure going to be ready. Without that Edmonton, your game 1 starter would have played 4 games in over 40 days. At the time i assumed Cannata would get the start against the Oilers and then dismissed it as a strange choice by AV. But looking at the game logs Luongo needed as much work as possible if he was going to be used in the playoffs.

Now leaving him in I have mixed feelings. First, it was Luongo who lost focus before the AHL guys in front of him did and then he gave up. i have little sympathy for a seething guy who stopped battling himself and was the first to cause those issues by a complete lack of focus. If he was still battling then yeah pull him but he quit IMO. As well it went from 2-2 to 7-2 in less than 3:35 of game time. And there was 4 minutes left. When do you pull him? You don't really do it at 3-2 or 4-2 or even 5-2 and when it's 6-2 with 4 minutes left what is the point? Luongo can put his big boys pants on and suck it up. If he can't then you have the best possible reason you can have to have chosen Schneider over him. And really why would it crush his confidence or whatever when he knows it was a meaningless game and he treated it as such along with the rest of the team when that third period rolled around. If he can't bounce back from a poor meaningless game the team is in big trouble if Schneider is hurt for an extended period of time because those games are going to happen in the playoffs. They always do for every goaltender.

That said, he WILL put his big boy pants on because that is what he does.
Last edited by tantalum on Wed May 01, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle »

HW, it will likely be the same as last year with Daniel Sedin.

AV will no doubt say he was expecting on the basis of the medical reports that Schneider would be ready, and thus didn't have a plan for if he wouldn't be ready.

MG pulls the same sort of garbage....I remember him saying that there was a good chance Booth would be back for the playoffs. Right.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:Knowing now that CS has an injury serious enough that he cannot start or back up in this game has me seething at AV. At the time I was like a lot of people and thought the injury was either non-existent or minor and that it was a good plan to get Luongo some action. Knowing what we do now there is no way Luongo should have started against Edmonton.

One, you want him healthy just in case and two, you need to get Cannata a game in before the playoffs. If they were meaningful games fine, go with Luongo for both, but they had no meaning for us in the standings whatsoever. Especially having Luongo loosing the net in the third period, you pull him, get him off the ice and get the kid in there to get a taste of an NHL games in case the unthinkable happens.

Now you have Luongo who himself was seething after the game having to start game one.
Yeah, agree on that one, and maybe more Luo starts in the stretch so Schneids is fresh for the playoffs...time will tell eh?!
Unlike my compatriot Donald Rumsfeld, I do not have less faith in Luo starting, he beat the Sharks before and he can do it again....
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Today is a chance for a clean slate after a shortened gong show injury riddled and media frenzied season. Lu is all smiles in the dressing room today.

I am content and optimistic.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Benjo wrote:Today is a chance for a clean slate after a shortened gong show injury riddled and media frenzied season. Lu is all smiles in the dressing room today.

I am content and optimistic.
beats the hell out of incontinent & optic neuritis
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Hockey Widow wrote:Knowing now that CS has an injury serious enough that he cannot start or back up in this game has me seething at AV. At the time I was like a lot of people and thought the injury was either non-existent or minor and that it was a good plan to get Luongo some action. Knowing what we do now there is no way Luongo should have started against Edmonton.
He'll come out and say "I though Schneids was going to be ready, I was wrong and not prepared"

Reminds me of "I thought Daniel was going to be ready for the start of round 1, I wasn't prepared"

Of course, this is all Gillis's fault.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Waffle wrote:HW, it will likely be the same as last year with Daniel Sedin.

AV will no doubt say he was expecting on the basis of the medical reports that Schneider would be ready, and thus didn't have a plan for if he wouldn't be ready.

MG pulls the same sort of garbage....I remember him saying that there was a good chance Booth would be back for the playoffs. Right.
Not even close to the same as with Daniel. When Danny went down we had nobody to fill in. There are probably only a dozen or so guys in the entire league who can step in and fill Daniel's skates when it comes to an individuals importance to the team.
Kesler and Henrik are two of those guys, and they were both in the lineup. One of them playing hurt.

With Schneider out Vigneault can go to Luongo, a guy who would be the starting goalie on all but 5 teams in the league. He's only 2 years removed from earning 2 shutouts in the Stanley Cup Finals where his team won 3 games, and he was the sole reason for all 3 of those wins. If Lou shits the bed, this is not on Vigneault. The only this AV can do when it comes to goaltending while Schneids is out is to keep the leash short. If Louie tanks hard then get him out quick and we KNOW he will come back and play like a man possessed in the next game. Lou is only shit in consecutive games when he has been left in to be embarrassed. Even pulling him in game 3 in bean town may have given him the kick in the pants to come back and make everyone remember why he should be in net. By the time be yanked him in game 6 it was too late.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Also worth noting that Luongo was told YESTERDAY that he was starting (presumably after Schneider was evaluated after practice). By doing that AV has made this a normal game day for Luongo. This wasn't sprung on him after the morning skate.

Not sure what else AV was supposed to do. Starter came back to have two full practices. they evaluated him and made the decision he wasn't ready to join the lineup and then 24 hours before the game is to begin they tell Luongo he is starting. Seems about right to me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

tantalum wrote:Also worth noting that Luongo was told YESTERDAY that he was starting (presumably after Schneider was evaluated after practice). By doing that AV has made this a normal game day for Luongo. This wasn't sprung on him after the morning skate.

Not sure what else AV was supposed to do. Starter came back to have two full practices. they evaluated him and made the decision he wasn't ready to join the lineup and then 24 hours before the game is to begin they tell Luongo he is starting. Seems about right to me.

Ya Tant I'm Ok with how he has handled him starting. What I question is if they knew CS was hurt and there was ANY potential that injury may preclude him from starting in the playoffs then you don't start Luongo the last game of the season in a meaningless game or in the least you pull him when you see he has lost the net. You also gibe Cannata a chance to get some minutes just in case.

I just question player management in a game where he is resting his top 3 on D , his entire top line and he lets Luongo hang in a game that meant nothing when he knew, or he ought to have thought about, CS may not be ready.
The only HW the Canucks need
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Ya Tant I'm Ok with how he has handled him starting. What I question is if they knew CS was hurt and there was ANY potential that injury may preclude him from starting in the playoffs then you don't start Luongo the last game of the season in a meaningless game or in the least you pull him when you see he has lost the net. You also gibe Cannata a chance to get some minutes just in case.

I just question player management in a game where he is resting his top 3 on D , his entire top line and he lets Luongo hang in a game that meant nothing when he knew, or he ought to have thought about, CS may not be ready.
As I said, Luongo had 4 games in 40+ days to this point without that game. If he is going to be the potential starter it is just as easily argued that he needed the gameplay. I also don't think he let Luongo hang. It wasn't like it was the first period when the wheels fell off and he kept it in. It was 7 minutes left in the game when the wheels fell off. that isn't leaving a guy out to hang IMO
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Here's an interesting little bit of recent Canucks playoff history.....

With this inception of the team, since Luongo arriving in Vancouver, the Canucks have NOT won a playoff series in which they lost the first game. In fact, other than 2007 against the Ducks, and 2012 against the Kings, Vancouver has won the first game of every series they've played in. They have

I really don't think that this team has the chops to actually get it done. The talent is there, but the heart is only beating half of the time, the gameplan is all wrong, and their playbook is in the hands of every opponent they face.

But I still want them to win. I still hope they can get it done. So I hope that this kick in the arse is what they needed. I hope that having to claw their way back into it gets them revved up and actually playing like they can. The only time this group has ever come from behind in a series was in 2010 against the Kings. They split at home, then lost game 3 in LA. Then rallied behind a Luongo performance for the books and stormed back to kick the Kings asses in 3 straight. And I remember knowing they'd do it after they tied the series. You could just tell they were ready to get it done. They ended up losing to the Hawks, but that Chicago team was STACKED and absolutely flying. Regardless, they woke up and played like they can.

So here's hoping having to come from behind in this series is the spark that they needed.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I hope Schneider starts on Friday. Game 1's loss does not fall on Luongo at all, he kept them in it in the first. But I do think this team needs to turn the page to the next era; I want to see how this team does with Schneids in the net. Of course he can't score, but one way or the other we need to see what he can do under playoff pressure, but not once his team is down 2-0 like last year and it's basically a hail mary pass.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I said Canucks in 6.

Up to AV and the Sedins.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

WTF is with Daniel. Shoot the puck for Christs sake. He gave up on at least 4 one-timers.