2013 Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: 2013 Draft

Post by black ace »

I cant see the Avs passing on Jones. Local kid, ties to Sakic, team needs a d-man....

unless they really see flaws in his game but then he likely wouldnt be rated #1.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

black ace wrote:I cant see the Avs passing on Jones. Local kid, ties to Sakic, team needs a d-man....

unless they really see flaws in his game but then he likely wouldnt be rated #1.
Some scouts don't think he's all that, or not the best player in the draft

I think it comes down to this. McKinnon is pretty much a sure thing super star, where as, Jones could be OK. I personally think, Jones, Drouin, Nichushkin and Barkov will end up being better NHL'ers than Jones. If I was Colorado I'd take McKinnon. I know everyone is looking for the next Zdeno Chara I just think McKinnon is too good to pass up. Drouin is a tough call but the other 3 I could see going ahead of Jones. Nichushkin may end up being the real superstar of the bunch. Fuck it, I give up, you are getting damn fine prospect if you are picking in the top 5.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

And yet in the WJC thread you were shitting all over Mackinnon saying he would fall out of the top 5. Up and down like a whores pants.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

I spent 8 days at the Memorial Cup in Saskatoon watching the big 3 draft picks and many others in the lineups. Without a doubt MacKinnon is the best player...by far. He is a complete player that executes his game to perfection. Speed,hockey sense,forechecking,back checking,and possibly the best stick handler I have seen in years of junior hockey.If you pass on this dude you are a fool. In the case of Jones...yes he is big,but...he lacks that certain (nastiness) that an NHL defenseman needs.I believe his footspeed is suspect as well. MacKinnon undressed him numerous times during the games...quite easily. I thought Pouliot was Portlands best Dman. What I did find out was the number of Penguin defensive prospects there. I thought Harrington,Pouliot and Maata(3 Penguin prospects) all outperformed Jones. I think Popeye's boy gets alot of press because of who Daddy is. I watched Jones play 5 times this season and was not overly impressed by his skills.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

"Draft Tendencies

It is almost certain that Gillis will maintain his position of selecting the best player available with the 24th pick of the draft. Regular season success has taken its toll on the team's drafting position, so a safe selection like 2012 pick Brendan Gaunce is probable once more.

If searching for a drafting pattern over the past three seasons, it would be that they have used one-third of their draft picks on defensemen. Of their 18 picks in the last three years, six of them were blueliners. Half of these were selected in the 2010 draft, though, and last year, they focused on their forward group, with two centers and two left wingers, with only one defenseman taken.

Interestingly enough, though there is a distinct Swedish element present in their NHL lineup, the Canucks selected four Canadians and one American in the 2012 draft. Also of note, the Canucks have avoided selecting players from the WHL, as their last four players from that league have been busts. The last time they selected from that league was in 2008, when they chose Prab Rai and Morgan Clark in later rounds. The QMJHL and OHL have been recent favorites for Vancouver; it is likely they will reap a few more from these two leagues again this season.

The Canucks have six picks in the 2013 draft. They own the 24th, 85th, 115th, 145th, 175th, and 205th draft picks.

Hockey's Future Staff Mock Draft Results:

Adam Erne, LW/RW, Quebec Remparts (QMJHL) http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/adam-erne/

Adam Erne is exactly what the Vancouver Canucks organization needs at this time – a budding power forward that has some wheels. He loves to hit and has demonstrated from a young age that he is very successful playing that style. There is little denying that his multifaceted, all-around game with some physical flare is just what the doctor ordered for Vancouver. If he continues to grow his game as he has every step of the way in his career thus far, Erne could be a top-six fixture for the Canucks for a long time.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9 ... more-91821"

Given that Delorme is now focused on the WHL with Snepts moved elsewhere, hopefully he can find someone decent to draft from the WHL!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

the Dogsalmon wrote: I watched Jones play 5 times this season and was not overly impressed by his skills.
Some scouts think the same. I think Jones will fall a few...too many good forwards. If I'm picking in the top 4 I'm picking one of McKinnon, Barkov, Jones, Nichushkin ahead of him. Hell, even Nurse could end up being just as good as Jones if non better. There are still some very good forwards left after that, Monahan, Lindholm, Horvat, Domi
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

we NEED to get rid of Delorme...he could'nt find hay in a haystack...
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Just some interesting tidbits I found on Hockey News draft preview with players who may be available or have to trade up to, I'm hoping we get a center as the team is severely lacking in that department, and we need to plan for the future for the team, but if one of the better wingers are still available like Erne or Zykov, obviously you gotta take em.

Have to trade up big time to snag one of these picks.

Darnell Nurse.
plays a nasty physical game, can skate and move the puck well while putting up points future #1 dman.

Aleksander Barkov (C 6-3, 209) shoots left. Strong play, puts up elite points, clutch player with poise.

Elias Lindholm (C 5-11, 192) shoots right. Top two way center, very smart with the puck, not physcial but has grit to his game.

Sean Monahan (C 6-2, 186) shoots left. Real hard worker, good hockey sense, not a good skater but smart and can put up points.

-----------

One of these guys could be available around our pick, or we can trade up a bit.

Adam Erne (LW 6-1, 195) shoots left. Superb hard worker, competitive, can skate well, strong on the puck, smart and can score decently. Plays hard down low/feisty.

Samuel Morin (D 6-7, 200) shoots left. Good scrapper, but is known for being a puck-moving dman who is mobile, good shot and makes plays and can throw his weight around.

Anthony Mantha (LW 6-4, 190) shoots left. skates well, pure goal scorer, lacking intensity, inconsistantcy problems. But with his natural goal scoring talent and size, he should be a good pick.

Morgan Klimchuk (LW 5-11, 180) shoots left. smart, two way player, 30 goal scorer.

Nikita Zadorov (D 6-5, 230) shoots left. skates good for his size, decent transition game, he's off and on, on various nights.

Hunter Shinkaruk (C 5-11, 175) shoots left. explosive skater, with great puck skills, pure offense though, needs to learn the defensive side now.

Kerby Rychel (LW 6-1, 200) shoots left. Character player who scores and fights, more of a goal scorer than passer/playmaker.

Valentin Zykov (RW 6-0, 210) shoots right. good size, protects puck well, goes into dirty areas, played in QMJHL (good for russian factor, as in he wants to stay in NA), good shot/quick release, wants to score, works very hard!

Bo Horvat (C 6-0, 200) shoots left. works hard, all round character player, clutch type, good leadership abilities.

Max Domi (C 5-10, 194) shoots left. real competitive! primarily a goal scorer, win at all cost mentatlity, fearless little guy.

Frederik Gauthier (C 6-5, 210) shoots left. good checking line center, faceoffs/two way game, no show in playoffs, questionable competiveness, disappearing acts, non physical...hence him dropping.

Curtis Lazar (C 5-11, 193) shoots right. good scorer, character guy, his stock dropped a bit due to slow start to the season.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Ryan Pulock

I like this guy, we need to restock our D with big mutha's

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013/NHL-Draf ... yan-Pulock

Otherwise we go big and bad up front on the Left!

I wanna see a Lucic type there...

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013/NHL-Draf ... /Adam-Erne
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Barring any trades, the Canucks pick 24th (round 1), 85th (round 3), 115th (round 4), 145th (round 5), 175th (round 6) and 205th (round 7) on Sunday.

Gillis has had a tendency to pick centres with his first round picks (Hodgson, Schroeder, Gaunce) and has never picked a defenseman or goaltender in the first round.

There don’t appear to be many centres ranked around our first round pick. It’s impossible to know what will be available at pick 24, but I assume Gillis will be going after a forward with size, which has been his recent strategy with Gaunce and Jensen.

There aren’t many huge guys in this draft. Most guys seem to be around the 6’ mark and under 200 pounds. Adam Erne, Frederik Gauthier, Kerby Rychel and Ryan Hartman may be available when we pick. Any of these would be a good pick. Even Morgan Klimchuk, who is described as a guy who plays a versatile, multi-dimensional game, would be a good pick. I would not be averse to drafting a defenseman in the first round like Pulock, Morrissey or Hagg either.

Pretty wide open, but it’ll be interesting to see where we go
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Reading stuff around the net and I get the feeling that neither Erne nor Rychel will be around at #24. Was reading a blog saying the Sabres had both those players to an invitation-only camp to put them through some drills. They're picking 16th or 18th. I've heard of other teams picking higher than Vancouver taking good looks at both of them.

Chalk it up to the 'Lucic' factor, I guess. Either of them would be a good pick-up. I would steer clear of Gauthier. Sounds like a bigger version of Nathan Smith IMHO. Mantha would be a bit of a roll of the dice in terms of him having the physicality and drive to use his size to be better than a 50-goal scorer in junior. Still, it would be nice to have a prospect who can just whip a puck accurately and score from above the circles.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Lancer wrote: Still, it would be nice to have a prospect who can just whip a puck accurately and score from above the circles.
I'll settle for one that thinks 'shoot first, pass second'.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Lancer wrote:Reading stuff around the net and I get the feeling that neither Erne nor Rychel will be around at #24. Was reading a blog saying the Sabres had both those players to an invitation-only camp to put them through some drills. They're picking 16th or 18th. I've heard of other teams picking higher than Vancouver taking good looks at both of them.

Chalk it up to the 'Lucic' factor, I guess. Either of them would be a good pick-up. I would steer clear of Gauthier. Sounds like a bigger version of Nathan Smith IMHO. Mantha would be a bit of a roll of the dice in terms of him having the physicality and drive to use his size to be better than a 50-goal scorer in junior. Still, it would be nice to have a prospect who can just whip a puck accurately and score from above the circles.
Mantha would be dynamite and fit the bill but get real, he won't make it out of the top 15 or 20.

http://www.fiveforhowling.com/2013/5/7/ ... ony-mantha
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Arachnid wrote:
Lancer wrote:Reading stuff around the net and I get the feeling that neither Erne nor Rychel will be around at #24. Was reading a blog saying the Sabres had both those players to an invitation-only camp to put them through some drills. They're picking 16th or 18th. I've heard of other teams picking higher than Vancouver taking good looks at both of them.

Mantha would be dynamite and fit the bill but get real, he won't make it out of the top 15 or 20.

http://www.fiveforhowling.com/2013/5/7/ ... ony-mantha
My hope is Edler and our 1st for a higher pick. think top 5 or 8. Nurse would sure look good and so would Rychel. We need mean and Canadian.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

BMG's* gonna land us the 2013 draft's Kesler, you wait. Our scouts are finally ready to hit the jackpot!

I'd like a winger who's a combination of Kopitar and Lucic with the hands of a young Eric Lindros.

He's out their Mikey, you big lovable tomatofaced sonuvagun!

Now find him. :evil:

*Bold Move Gillis
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society