Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:04 pm

herb wrote:
BigTuna wrote:You don't even understand what I'm saying. Pominville is worth more on the open trade market. So was Ben Bishop.

Pretty clear the market at this particular time for Luongo was limited and perhaps as limited as one team due to a variety of factors. We don't even know what the "market value" for Luongo is, as he was not traded. All we have are rumours and innuendo. There are rumours as to what some of the offers from Toronto were, but then again these are rumours and not actual transactions that were completed.

In the off season, when most teams face the fact that they had a disappointing season and/or playoffs, the market will shift. The market will shift because teams will be looking for upgrades.

Another thing to keep in mind is that in the off season we will have a better idea of how revenues fared for 2013 and how the cap maximum may be changing for the 2014/15 season which will have an affect on how teams plan. If revenues for this year are really strong and it looks like the cap will take a big jump after next season, some teams could be more inclined to take on a bigger contract. Like I said earlier, if (when) the cap is over $70M again, Luongo's $5.3M cap hit will be stellar.

Luongo's cap is not the problem. 5.3 for a starter is not a problem for any team. The salary may be a problem for some teams and the term maybe a problem for some teams. But the cap is not a problem.

Come the summer 30 teams get a do over on a maximum of 2 contracts and UFA's will be off the books. Teams that failed to meet expectations will have a fresh start to re-tool.

I doubt the Canucks get a first for 2013 as it is expected to be a deep draft. But I think when teams get a chance to clean house and reassess Luongo will be in play again. Then we will all know if there is a market of not. Maybe the answer lies somewhere in the middle of the high expectations some of us had the naysayers who like to troll.

Maybe this whole experience has been a reality check for MG and Luongo both. So I think a deal will get done and it will be one we can all live with in the end. No matter what the return there will be those who feel MG failed and it is not enough. There will be trolls who laugh and say see you got shit. But in the end none of that matters. What matters is moving Luongo, getting some assets back and clearing the cap space for us.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:What matters is moving Luongo, getting some assets back and clearing the cap space for us.

Bingo.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Island Nucklehead » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:08 pm

BigTuna wrote: You don't even understand what I'm saying. Pominville is worth more on the open trade market. So was Ben Bishop.

And so was Ryan O'Byrne? And so was Raffi Torres? :lol: deep thinker!

Just because a player wasn't traded doesn't mean there wasn't a market. I'm sure if Steve-Y could've landed Luongo for Conacher he would've done it. Bishop is a rental.
Island Nucklehead
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ClamRussel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:37 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
BigTuna wrote: You don't even understand what I'm saying. Pominville is worth more on the open trade market. So was Ben Bishop.

And so was Ryan O'Byrne? And so was Raffi Torres? :lol: deep thinker!

Just because a player wasn't traded doesn't mean there wasn't a market. I'm sure if Steve-Y could've landed Luongo for Conacher he would've done it. Bishop is a rental.

You'd think....I'm sure for Gillis it would have taken more like Connolly but who knows. I'd like to think the rumours of him offering him to TO for Scrivens and 2 seconds isn't true....if it is then Nonis is an all-out idiot for refusing. Any deal w/ TO is complicated w/ the bitterness of Nonis getting fired for Gillis. Luongo is exactly what the doctor ordered in Tampa....just like the window here, I don't imagine there is much left in the tanks of Lecavalier and St. Louis so the time is now and shouldn't be wasted on rentals or gambles like Lindback. Even for Stamkos, he is most likely in his peak right now.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Arachnid » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:49 pm

Reimer is being lit up by Philly tonight. Waita a go SuperDave! :thumbs:
4 out of 5 Psychologists agree that a man without a woman is a psycho
Arachnid
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ClamRussel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Ego
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Uncle dans leg » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:22 pm

ukcanuck wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:
McKeens Hockey Poolbook lists him @ center...I dunno :look:

I dont wanna yank yer chain too much but I couldnt resist :)

youre willing to hand over a rock solid character and team player in Burrows and a kid who has NHL regular written all over him for a proverbial franchise player you're not even sure what position he plays?? :look:

Hey! :evil:
We're all subject to forming opinions based on what we read of prospects and maybe see a half dozen times on tv.....

I read he's a center/winger...and I choose to believe :mrgreen:
Listen, don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right.
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:57 pm

So according to Don Taylor the last offer on the table for Luongo was Scivens, a 2nd and a 3rd. Apparently MG was willing to do this and so were the Leafs but then Nonis came back and insisted that the Canucks keep part of Luongo's salary. Nonis just had to get the Burke clause implemented didn't he? Any way MG said not gonna happen. They were prepared to give Luongo away and Nonis got greedy. One of the richest teams in the NHL and he has to try and make MG eat shit.

MG was prepared to take it up the back side and accommodate Luongo and Nonis just had to try take more. I would be pretty pissed right now if I were still a Leaf fan.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby paddy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:59 am

Hockey Widow wrote:So according to Don Taylor the last offer on the table for Luongo was Scivens, a 2nd and a 3rd. Apparently MG was willing to do this and so were the Leafs but then Nonis came back and insisted that the Canucks keep part of Luongo's salary. Nonis just had to get the Burke clause implemented didn't he? Any way MG said not gonna happen. They were prepared to give Luongo away and Nonis got greedy. One of the richest teams in the NHL and he has to try and make MG eat shit.

MG was prepared to take it up the back side and accommodate Luongo and Nonis just had to try take more. I would be pretty pissed right now if I were still a Leaf fan.

HW this was never about getting a deal done this was about payback... In all my yrs I cannot recall a team being dragged through the mud like we were yesterday...Leaf pissant Darren Dregger talking about how the Canucks Called Toronto with an offer at 2:15 and the Leafs turned it down, the Canucks Called the Leafs at 2:30 with an offer and the Leafs turned it down the Canucks Called Toronto with an final offer at 2:45 and the Leafs turned it down... This dog and pony show was made to make MG look bad and make Luongo look just as bad the Leafs wouldn't do a deal for Luongo for a 2nd a 3rd a Ben Scrivens unless the Canucks took on some of Luongo's Salary??? Make no Mistake HW this was personal...
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
paddy
CC Veteran

Postby Vpete » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:13 am

The optimist in me says that deadline deals of the magnitude of Luongo are never a good move and things will settle in the summer. Where I see some possibilities is the fact that there are a number of goalies on the market this summer.

Smith, Miller(maybe), Backstrom, Bulin, Nabokov and more could all be floating around and moving plus many more. It may seem silly but if the goal is to improve the team maybe Gillis has to look at moving Schnieder and is that such a bad thing? He would immediately skew the market huge.

The other side is getting a more reasonably priced second goalie so instead of 9.3 in front of the pips it's closer to 7. Still it's a lot but is that so bad?

Gillis is going to be fleeced on the deal no matter when it happens so does that actually help the team?

There are some thoughts that Philly may amnesty buy out Bryz- would Luongo in Philly be so bad?

As for the retiring thing I'm sure Luongo can have a long-term injury like a concussion to take that worry off any GMs hands about the cap space tag up that would come.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Vader » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:15 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:

Bishop is actually an RFA, but this screams that TB ownership isn't willing to spend the dough, regardless of who the goalie is.

As for the TO rumours, I believe Nonis realizes the leafs will make the playoffs with their current tandem and will get crushed in the first round by Boston / Pittsburgh whomever, with or without Luongo. So from Nonis' standpoint, there is really no urgency to do a deal for Luongo now, unless it's a steal. Nonis will go with Reimer / Scrivens, get blown out and then TO ownership would likely be more receptive to Luongo's contract. Remember, TO has some of the most dysfunctional ownership in the league. Just because they have the ability to absorb Luongo's contract doesn't mean Nonis had the green light...yet. That's likely why Nonis allegedly asked for part of Luongo's salary to be paid.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby wafflecombine » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:22 am

I dunno. I am reading a lot of opinion that suggests that the Leafs were deliberately out to embarass Van, MG and Lou.

Regardless of one's opinion on this, Toronto is definately out of the running on Lou regardless of what happens. I can't see MG or Lou wanting to deal with them after this.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Arachnid » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:27 am

Vpete wrote:The optimist in me says that deadline deals of the magnitude of Luongo are never a good move and things will settle in the summer. Where I see some possibilities is the fact that there are a number of goalies on the market this summer.

Smith, Miller(maybe), Backstrom, Bulin, Nabokov and more could all be floating around and moving plus many more. It may seem silly but if the goal is to improve the team maybe Gillis has to look at moving Schnieder and is that such a bad thing? He would immediately skew the market huge.

The other side is getting a more reasonably priced second goalie so instead of 9.3 in front of the pips it's closer to 7. Still it's a lot but is that so bad?

Gillis is going to be fleeced on the deal no matter when it happens so does that actually help the team?

There are some thoughts that Philly may amnesty buy out Bryz- would Luongo in Philly be so bad?

As for the retiring thing I'm sure Luongo can have a long-term injury like a concussion to take that worry off any GMs hands about the cap space tag up that would come.

'
If he is now a draft day trade for picks then that's good too. Our cupboards are getting barer so we need to restock (KC is gone now). MG wanted immediate help for the post-season and no one was willing to give it so if we get a 1st or two 2nds and a 3rd in a strong draft year it would be good, no?

His contract sucks remember?!

Not the player or the GM 8-)
4 out of 5 Psychologists agree that a man without a woman is a psycho
Arachnid
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ukcanuck » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:31 am

wafflecombine wrote:I dunno. I am reading a lot of opinion that suggests that the Leafs were deliberately out to embarass Van, MG and Lou.

Regardless of one's opinion on this, Toronto is definately out of the running on Lou regardless of what happens. I can't see MG or Lou wanting to deal with them after this.

Fuck, if it was me I'd give Luongo to Toronto's new conference rivals for a back up and A couple of seconds or thirds just because and I would laugh my ass off if Luongo waives his NTC to do it too...
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby coco_canuck » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:37 am

I think the most disappointing thing about Luongo and the deadline is the nominal return the Canucks can expect for him.

I have no doubt that someone will take Luo's contract without leaving the Canucks with a cap hit, especially after Mike Smith signs a big deal and teams see the sticker price on Ryan Miller during the summer, but the return will probably be a 2nd round pick and a late round pick at best.

After everything that's happened with Luongo, and his right to formally request a trade the Canucks have to grant in a couple of years, it's too risky a proposition to move Schneider for value while keeping Luo. Maybe that scenario could have happened in the summer, but seems to me that we're far past that stage at this point.

And fuck the Leafs, Nonis is an idiot.

I'll enjoy watching Toronto's goaltending implode and Luongo get traded to another team while the Leafs scramble for an over the hill veteran and show their true colours over an 82 game season next year.

How Nonis passed on taking Luo for two 2nds and Scrivens at the deadline, I don't know. Personal issues and media pressure aside, getting a true number 1 with a decent cap hit on a dirt rich team like the Leafs on the absolute cheap is a no brainer.

A massive failure in pragmatism for Nonis.
Last edited by coco_canuck on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat