Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Post by wafflecombine »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Isn't Darren Dreger the Cheeseburglers cousin?

He the insider alright...inside the blow hole:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Canucks called at 2pm...made a trade offer, Tor declined. Van called at 2:30 with 2nd offer, Tor declined...3rd offer at 2:45pm...decline.

Yeah saw that too. The leaves feel they have the team that's gonna take them places. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. Guess the next window of opportunity is pre-draft. That or I guess maybe we will see the buyout. bottom line is Lou can't be here at the beginning of the 2013/14 campaign. It'll be crap for Lou and crap for Cory and really just crap all around.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:I can't help but feel disappointed. Not disappointed that Luongo wasn't traded. I think I have come to realize we won't get fair market value so I'd rather that deal be made in the summer. But disappointed that there was nothing else there to be had that could helps us. At the same time I am glad we didn't ditch all our picks. I guess I just hoped that MG would be able to plug holes.

Here is hoping that a healthy Canucks team with the addition of Roy is better than I think they are.
Ah poppycock WH I don't think it's as doom and gloom as all that.

If you think about it this team (with a healthy Kesler) is more playoff ready than the last two years with big grinders.

Jury is still out.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Arachnid wrote:Thank the Hockey Gods MG didn't bend over for Nonutz and the TSN Anallips...er...analysts

Now we can forget about it and watch the Make Believes fail in the playoffs because of goaltending :)

I'm more concerned we didn't get more D and a strong winger but they could still announce...

Reimer and Scrivens:

James Reimer 22 51 2.52 636 .920 2
Ben Scrivens 18 41 2.59 500 .918 2

Luongo:
Roberto Luongo 16 39 2.44 406 .904 2

Why the hell would the leaves not stick with their quality young cheap goalies and add a mid 30's goalie with 9 years left on his contract who has worse numbers?
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

BigTuna wrote: Reimer and Scrivens:

Luongo:

Why the hell would the leaves not stick with their quality young cheap goalies and add a mid 30's goalie with 9 years left on his contract who has worse numbers?
What exactly are Lou's numbers over the last 5 years compared to the above? Lou's also got 6 less games with a couple of stinkers in there where no-one played well... same as Cory. What Toronto really has is two young goalies with potential and NO playoff (or little) experience. I would also look at the goals against where Lou has both of them beat. You can cut the numbers however you like. You don't think Toronto wouldn't have taken Lou if the offer was a 4th liner and a 5th round pick. Van wanted value, Toronto wanted outright theft.

Situation is what it is considering the CBA, new caps and everyone leary about contract thanks to the smaller cap ceiling for next year. I say circumstance the bigger issue combined with the contract rather than Reimer & Scriven's being the second coming of......
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

BigTuna wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Thank the Hockey Gods MG didn't bend over for Nonutz and the TSN Anallips...er...analysts

Now we can forget about it and watch the Make Believes fail in the playoffs because of goaltending :)

I'm more concerned we didn't get more D and a strong winger but they could still announce...

Reimer and Scrivens:

Luongo:

Because Randy Carlyle would have pulled one of their goalies before an opposing team scored 8 goals on them. Further to that, he would have pulled that goalie again before he let in 5 against the same team a little later.

Had AV pulled Lou after 4 goals against in that first game then after 3 goals against in the 2nd his GAA would have have been below 2.

Edit:

Had AV given Schneider the same treatment against EDM, his stats would have been worse than Lou's.
Last edited by vic on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BigTuna wrote: cheap goalies
Let us know how that works out for ya ;)
Randy Nonis knows through experience, wait...whats that word...EXPERIENCE, what a seasoned, top quality goaltender can do for a young team. Luongo is a proven vet who has been there, done that. He would've been a real asset for your team for the next 5+ years but since you wanted "cheap" so bad....thats what you're going to get.
If you need air...call it in
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
BigTuna wrote: cheap goalies
Let us know how that works out for ya ;)
Randy Nonis knows through experience, wait...whats that word...EXPERIENCE, what a seasoned, top quality goaltender can do for a young team. Luongo is a proven vet who has been there, done that. He would've been a real asset for your team for the next 5+ years but since you wanted "cheap" so bad....thats what you're going to get.
What reason is there to give on on James Reimer this early in his career? His numbers are very solid.

The leaves are a young team that are playing well, but don't have expectations to do much in the playoffs. Why add a guy with so many years left when you don't have too? And it seems every GM agrees.

It's like the funny speculation (by the Toronto media BTW) that Luongo was going to Florida. What sense does that make since they have Markstrom? Luongo can't be a "Mentor" with 9 years left on his contract and wanting to be a starter for years to come.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

When Luongo retires around 39-40, VCR shares a % of the hit. If anything, the new CBA makes adding Luongo easier.
The only reason he is moving from VCR is:
A-He wants to be closer to home (FLA)
B-VCR are lucky enough to have patiently developed another Vezina calibre goaltender who is possibly even better that RL. This is not a slight on Luongo. It is a fact.

Luo may have had his yips in the playoffs but he's also showed that he is maturing and likely better prepared for the adversity that surely comes along when it matters the most. This is definitely debatable but VCR hasn't exactly done him any favours by at times playing like shit and the coach leaving him in when he clearly needs a mercy pull.

There are a gaggle(yes...a gaggle) of goaltenders who have proven to be at their best after age 35 and I would definitely put RL in this group.

Bottom line..Toronto missed a golden opportunity to add a Vezina calibre goaltender for nothing more than a few picks and a major corporations money.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Hockey Widow wrote:I can't help but feel disappointed. Not disappointed that Luongo wasn't traded. I think I have come to realize we won't get fair market value so I'd rather that deal be made in the summer. But disappointed that there was nothing else there to be had that could helps us. At the same time I am glad we didn't ditch all our picks. I guess I just hoped that MG would be able to plug holes.

Here is hoping that a healthy Canucks team with the addition of Roy is better than I think they are.
Agreed HW, I think that we were all expecting more when Gilman told us yesterday that the Canucks were going to be "All In". If we were *just* going to get Derek Roy at the deadline then I would have rather they got no one at all and keep the draft pick and KC. This team had more than 1 hole and to go deep they needed to add 2-3 pieces. Adding 1 piece and getting knocked out in the first-second round just seems like a waste of assets.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

BigTuna wrote: What reason is there to give on on James Reimer this early in his career? His numbers are very solid.
You're talking a different calibre of goalie entirely. Even the leaves tried to pick up Kipper, and he'd rather retire than go there. They wanted a better goalie, they didn't want to pay for it. Oh well. Luongo helps us more than whatever TO was offering. I'm glad Gillis didn't throw him away for nothing.
Why add a guy with so many years left when you don't have too? And it seems every GM agrees.
Because your team gets better. FFS the Islanders took Tim Thomas in a trade. He doesn't even play hockey. When the cap hits $80M, teams will be trying to get to a $60-$65M floor. Luongo waives to go to broke-ass team XXXX instead of "retiring", he is then suspended by broke-ass team XXXX. The cap hit stays, but Luongo doesn't get paid. Broke-ass team XXXX meets the cap floor.
UDL wrote:Bottom line..Toronto missed a golden opportunity to add a Vezina calibre goaltender for nothing more than a few picks and a major corporations money.
Bingo. Anyone with a decent brain could see this (which is why the talking heads don't). Teams seeking to exploit holes in the salary cap, like the Canucks (Luongo), Wings (Zetterberg), Blackhawks (Hossa/Keith), Kings (Richards/Carter pickups) aren't afraid of these deals, they use them to their advantage. Why worry about 2019/2020 when you guarantee 5 or so years of guaranteed results? Especially in goal. Double especially with a reasonable cap hit.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

The Islanders only added Thomas because they could add his cap hit, without paying him a dime.

Luongo is a completely different situation. His salary is higher than his cap hit.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

BigTuna wrote:The Islanders only added Thomas because they could add his cap hit, without paying him a dime.

Luongo is a completely different situation. His salary is higher than his cap hit.
:hmmm:

:bang:

:roll:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It's amazing how some people just don't get it. Personally I am glad they kept Luongo instead of trading him for pieces that would not make us any better this year and would find us needing a backup which would cost more in assets.

I will be cheering for all those teams that thought Luongo wasn't good enough to take on his contract to fail miserably. The Leaf fans will be happy with a play off appearance but what can you expect.

Donny, this is for you. I can no longer cheer for the leaves. Something inside just dies as I listened to all those Toronto assholes and their complete crap and lies. Count me in as another born and breed Torontonian who has seen the light.

Luongo will be dealt in the off season. We won't hit a home run. I am OK with that. I hope this energizes the guys in the locker room. US against them again boys, us against them again.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote:It's amazing how some people just don't get it. Personally I am glad they kept Luongo instead of trading him for pieces that would not make us any better this year and would find us needing a backup which would cost more in assets.
Apparently T-O said no to Scrivens and picks. Likely it would be a 1st and 2nd but still...he was mostly trying to do Roberto a solid taking that back I think.
:evil: Damn you Cheeseburgler :evil:
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Aaronp18 wrote:
BigTuna wrote:The Islanders only added Thomas because they could add his cap hit, without paying him a dime.

:hmmm:

:bang:

:roll:
Do you not get it that there are so many money-losing teams that care more about the salary than the cap hit? Thomas was perfect for the Islanders because he cost them no money. You think they'd be as interested in a Luongo? He's in the "Front-Loaded" years of his contract. His salary is higher than his cap hit for the next several years.