Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Post by Topper »

Willes said today in his rag, that it was Gillman and Nonis at the end?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Whatever.

If Toronto ever had any serious interest in Roberto, they've completely blown any chance of acquiring him this summer. Gillis & co. may use them as a negotiating tactic, but I'd be shocked if Gillis sends Lu there now.

Nonis better hope for a) a playoff seed and b) a decent showing between the pipes or else Leaf nation will be ALL Over mgmt for failing to upgrade the goaltending.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hockey Widow wrote:All of this is consistent with what I was told over the summer. The leaves were using bullying tactics to try and strong arm a deal. Burke had threatened MG that when the new CBA came down it would have hold back provisions and any deal made after the new CBA the leaves would insist on the Canucks holding back some of the contract. I think what was frustrating for MG was that he lower his demands, caved into the pressure to move Luongo for anything and the leaves still instead on a hold back, after he thought they had a deal in principle. He would never have called Luongo out of practice early if he knew Nonis we going to pull that shit. So MG was pissed as the gamesmanship. Luongo was pissed because he thought there was a deal and he was there to waive.

haha* I am glad cheezeburgler Nonis acted like a dick to cheezeburlger Gillis. If I were Nonis, I wouldn't help the guy who stole my job by working behind my back. Boy, wouldn't it be fun to see the Nucks battle the leaves again in the Stanley Cup final? :lol:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BladesofSteel wrote:
Nonis better hope for a) a playoff seed and b) a decent showing between the pipes or else Leaf nation will be ALL Over mgmt for failing to upgrade the goaltending.
You guys sound like a bunch of babies. I know you all have your panties in a bunch for Nonis rooking Gillis Queen at the Trade Deadline but the leaves are on the verge of making the playoffs for the first time since 2004. In the eyes of Non-Canucks fans, Nonis is doing a good job there and seemingly is not going to get strong armed into acquiring a fucked up contract on a 34 year old goalie. Nonis job is safe in T.O. Leaf fans are all liking the job he's done so far and at a recent poll, 90% of Leaf fans are happy with the goaltending they got. We can be such homers here, think outside the box....and btw, Gillis used scum bag, sleeze ball tactics in buttering up Aqualini's to the idea of firing Nonis and hiring him...I am quite impressed with Nonis revenge on Gillis. Nonis owes Gillis fuck all, if anything he owes him payback. And you can't call Nonis move on Gillis low class when it was low class how Gillis had Nonis removed to get his job. Hows them apples, Gillis?

You guys all blaming Nonis for Gillis not getting a deal done for Luongo is rich. This all falls on Gillis sholders, but anyhow keep on coming to Gillis rescue, it's entertaining at least.

The beauty for Nonis is that he got Gillis to lower his demands on Luongo, Scrivens and two 2nd round picks and walked away, ain't no GM gonna offer more than that this summer with the pressure on Gillis to get his cap in order. In fact it will be less to the point where Gillis may have to waive him and send him down to the minors, ala Redden. Gillis is screwed.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: You guys sound like a bunch of babies. I know you all have your panties in a bunch for Nonis rooking Gillis Queen at the Trade Deadline but the leaves are on the verge of making the playoffs for the first time since 2004. In the eyes of Non-Canucks fans, Nonis is doing a good job there and seemingly is not going to get strong armed into acquiring a fucked up contract on a 34 year old goalie. Nonis job is safe in T.O. Leaf fans are all liking the job he's done so far and at a recent poll, 90% of Leaf fans are happy with the goaltending they got. We can be such homers here, think outside the box....and btw, Gillis used scum bag, sleeze ball tactics in buttering up Aqualini's to the idea of firing Nonis and hiring him...I am quite impressed with Nonis revenge on Gillis. Nonis owes Gillis fuck all, if anything he owes him payback. And you can't call Nonis move on Gillis low class when it was low class how Gillis had Nonis removed to get his job. Hows them apples, Gillis?

You guys all blaming Nonis for Gillis not getting a deal done for Luongo is rich. This all falls on Gillis sholders, but anyhow keep on coming to Gillis rescue, it's entertaining at least.

The beauty for Nonis is that he got Gillis to lower his demands on Luongo, Scrivens and two 2nd round picks and walked away, ain't no GM gonna offer more than that this summer with the pressure on Gillis to get his cap in order. In fact it will be less to the point where Gillis may have to waive him and send him down to the minors, ala Redden. Gillis is screwed.
What's with your man love for Randy ? Did he give you a lap dance at the Dufferin ?

I understand why Nonis didn't want to pay a premium for Roberto. That garbage franchise looks like it will get 2 home playoff games for the first time in a decade. Considering Burke built the team and Nonis is coattailing him with all those great core players...... Randy gets zero credit. Isn't that how it works ?

Fattycakes screwed up because he was basically gifted Luongo for Scrivens and picks, but he wanted to get back at Luggage Eyes and have the Canucks eat the salary. So he missed out on a great golaie at a great cap hit because his ego is as big as his gut. Mark my words he won't be a Leaf after Nonis's power play here. Gillis will trade him elsewhere for a 2nd .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Seeing Luongo in a leaves uni would have been too much to bear, anyway. If Gillis is going to do a deal like backup goalie and a couple 2nd rounders, let it be with Fla and be done with it...not TO. I never figured Luongo would be gone at the deadline anyway. I think in the summer the status of the goalie market for RL will depend a lot on how much free agent goalies like smith ask for.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: You guys sound like a bunch of babies. I know you all have your panties in a bunch for Nonis rooking Gillis Queen at the Trade Deadline but the leaves are on the verge of making the playoffs for the first time since 2004. In the eyes of Non-Canucks fans, Nonis is doing a good job there and seemingly is not going to get strong armed into acquiring a fucked up contract on a 34 year old goalie. Nonis job is safe in T.O. Leaf fans are all liking the job he's done so far and at a recent poll, 90% of Leaf fans are happy with the goaltending they got. We can be such homers here, think outside the box....and btw, Gillis used scum bag, sleeze ball tactics in buttering up Aqualini's to the idea of firing Nonis and hiring him...I am quite impressed with Nonis revenge on Gillis. Nonis owes Gillis fuck all, if anything he owes him payback. And you can't call Nonis move on Gillis low class when it was low class how Gillis had Nonis removed to get his job. Hows them apples, Gillis?

What's with your man love for Randy ? Did he give you a lap dance at the Dufferin ?

I understand why Nonis didn't want to pay a premium for Roberto. That garbage franchise looks like it will get 2 home playoff games for the first time in a decade. Considering Burke built the team and Nonis is coattailing him with all those great core players...... Randy gets zero credit. Isn't that how it works ?

Fattycakes screwed up because he was basically gifted Luongo for Scrivens and picks, but he wanted to get back at Luggage Eyes and have the Canucks eat the salary. So he missed out on a great golaie at a great cap hit because his ego is as big as his gut. Mark my words he won't be a Leaf after Nonis's power play here. Gillis will trade him elsewhere for a 2nd .
No one cares about the low cap hit because he's on the books until he's 43 years old.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

We'll see when he's dealt at the draft. As has been explained to you many times, he will not play the last three seasons. So it's a 6 year deal till he's 40 . Either you're just being a little prick or you're very thick. The last three years on the deal won't count on the cap to the team he's dealt to because he'll likely fail to report and you deal the contract to a team like the Islanders like the Bruins did with Thomas.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:We'll see when he's dealt at the draft. As has been explained to you many times, he will not play the last three seasons. So it's a 6 year deal till he's 40 . Either you're just being a little prick or you're very thick. The last three years on the deal won't count on the cap to the team he's dealt to because he'll likely fail to report and you deal the contract to a team like the Islanders like the Bruins did with Thomas.
You don't know that. Ed Belfour gladly played for 500K in Florida at age 41.

These predictions of when guys will retire years from now are silly.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

BigTuna wrote: You don't know that. Ed Belfour gladly played for 500K in Florida at age 41.

If he plays till he's 43 it's even better.

The cap will continue to go up and at that point there will more than likely be several teams looking to get to the cap floor. In which case Luo is traded, his salary is low and his cap hit will be higher. So he becomes a serviceable backup?

This contract issue is being overblown because there are several options down the road that can be done with Luongo when he can no longer play at an elite level.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:
You guys sound like a bunch of babies. I know you all have your panties in a bunch for Nonis rooking Gillis Queen at the Trade Deadline but the leaves are on the verge of making the playoffs for the first time since 2004. In the eyes of Non-Canucks fans, Nonis is doing a good job there and seemingly is not going to get strong armed into acquiring a fucked up contract on a 34 year old goalie. Nonis job is safe in T.O. Leaf fans are all liking the job he's done so far and at a recent poll, 90% of Leaf fans are happy with the goaltending they got. We can be such homers here, think outside the box....and btw, Gillis used scum bag, sleeze ball tactics in buttering up Aqualini's to the idea of firing Nonis and hiring him...I am quite impressed with Nonis revenge on Gillis. Nonis owes Gillis fuck all, if anything he owes him payback. And you can't call Nonis move on Gillis low class when it was low class how Gillis had Nonis removed to get his job. Hows them apples, Gillis?

You're right Dude. MG fucked over Nonis 5 years ago and weaselled his way into the GM job. He then rubbed salt into the wound in his first press conference. We all know that. None of that takes away from the fact that Nonis was a dick head of a GM when he had his chance here. He was great at signing contracts, that part of his job he has always done well. I don't recall him being able to attract any meaningful FA though. Although he did manage to retain his RFA's and a few FA's in the stable.

But he failed miserably in brining in key assets to improve the team in areas that we were desperate. Yes, he brought us Luongo and I salute him for that. But we all know that was gift wrapped by Keenan who had his own pissing match with Florida.

What MG did was sleazy but it wasn't done to the determent of the hockey club. Nonis got his payback but it was to the determent of his hockey club. I don't think there are many people outside of Toronto who feel they have good goaltending. It is a weakness on the team. I doubt you find anyone, anyone, of hockey intelligence that can say the two goalies in T.O. are a better option than Luongo. His cap hit is easily absorbed by the leaves. His contract status is not a problem for at least 5-6 years from now. And we have all seen those deals be managed when the time is right. What Nonis did, in exacting his revenge was to the determent of his hockey club. The leaves don't have financial concerns and could easily absorb the remaining salary on Luongo's deal, and the amount left over 9 years is not too bad for a number one goalie who has every chance to play into his 40's like a number of other pretty good goalies have done. And if he does retire early then it can be dealt with.

You are also right in that MG's expectations may have been way to high. Personally I was in the camp that thought he would get his hockey deal. And if nothing else then this process has given him, and fans like me, a dose of reality.

You can't possibly believe that Nonis did the right thing in turning done a goalie of Luongo's stature can you? Go back to our days when we desperately needed Burke to get us a goalie and tell me you would have been pleased had Burked turned down a goalie of this stature on deadline day for the price of a back up and two picks. You wouldn't have cared about the term. But you would have crucified Burke for not pulling the trigger and getting the team what it needed.

I don't blame Nonis for Luongo not getting traded. I don't blame Nonis for setting the market on Luongo. My anger is in the games played and the deliberate manipulation of Toronto media. Payback is a bitch and he got his pound of flesh. Too bad he didn't do his job and improve hid hockey club in a significant way for the next 5-6 years in the minimum, all while giving up nothing of consequence.

And Toronto fans saying he did the right thing because Luongo's salary is the problem and the term is the problem are being disingenuous. Like us they don't give a rats ass how much salary a team actually pays. They, like us, only care about how the cap is being spent to ice the best team possible. And once again everyone, I mean everyone, agrees Luongo's cap is not a problem for the next 5-6 years. If Nonis wanted a hold back he should have offered more in the way of compensation. Like Pominville . He got a king's ransom but Buffalo kept $800,000 of his cap to get that ransom.

This was personal. If the CBA had not changed to allow a hold back do you think this deal gets done?
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Aaronp18 wrote:
BigTuna wrote: You don't know that. Ed Belfour gladly played for 500K in Florida at age 41.

If he plays till he's 43 it's even better.

The cap will continue to go up and at that point there will more than likely be several teams looking to get to the cap floor. In which case Luo is traded, his salary is low and his cap hit will be higher. So he becomes a serviceable backup?

This contract issue is being overblown because there are several options down the road that can be done with Luongo when he can no longer play at an elite level.

And lost in all of that is that there is a window built in were the team can trade Luongo because of the modified NTC. And it was built in for that very reason, to make him moveable.
The only HW the Canucks need
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Hockey Widow wrote: And lost in all of that is that there is a window built in were the team can trade Luongo because of the modified NTC. And it was built in for that very reason, to make him moveable.
Very true. The contract is not the issue some are making it out to be. I can't wait for this to blow up in Nonis' face.

Nonis got wrapped up in revenge and trying to screw Gillis for what he had done, however, in the process I think he missed and wound up humping the pooch instead!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

BigTuna wrote: No one cares about the low cap hit because he's on the books until he's 43 years old.
So age is the problem?

Ed Belfour didn't SIGN in Toronto until he was 37.

Curtis Joseph played there until he was 35, and the leaves offered him a 3-year deal which he turned down to move to Detroit.

Luongo is a better goalie than both.

The leaves aren't afraid of older goalies. They've got Komisarek and Connolly burried ($9.25M) in the minors. They aren't afraid of cap hits.

This was obviously personal Tuna. And they're direct-selling you (or is it coming to you via Rogers/Bell instant text push service??) some BS about Toronto being A) a fiscally smart/responsible management team, and B) being averse to older, veteran, expensive goalies (hi Kipper).

Don't worry, Tuna. Those of us with Telus/Shaw will continue to get you the facts.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

I guess the thinking is that the price has been set for Luongo at two seconds and a back up...
Which is what Nonis is laughing his ass off about I gather.
However, I'm not buying it. This shortened season was a one off. GMs all over the league seem to have been given a pass on this season and clearly from the lack of roster change across the league, its been viewed as such. But next season there's going to be some pissed off owners gagging down up to two contracts each and a shit load of FA movement and I bet a room full of long tailed cats from July 1 to draft day and beyond...

I'm still confident that a goalie who virtually guarantees a playoff spot will find a home for more than a bag of pucks and a roll of tape.