Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Post by herb »

Luongo looked like a crybaby in his little press conference, and honestly, that's why I want him gone. Cory looks more and more like a winner, and Roberto looks like a loser. I know people will always point to his record, his career numbers, etc, but I will never forget (early onset dementia aside) those god damn awful games he had against Chicago and that freaking song that still boils my blood.

Duh duh da da duh duh duh...ahhhh!

Luongo should have never opened his yap about waiving after the playoffs last year. That opened a hole can of media worms (more like maggots) that can't be closed. Now his comments about "my contract sucks" only makes an awkward situation worse. Just shut up and play/practice/sit there. You have 12 more regular season games here. Tough it out, wipe those tears with your $500,000 pay cheques and wait for the summer time.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: If Filip Forsberg was in play, GMMG should have at the very least had a horse in play. I can't believe he went for what he did. That's the kind of player to build the future around and if Gillis wasn't so busy checking Randys blow-hole for cheeseburgers, maybe he would've had a crack.

I'm much more despondent about this than not moving RL
We'd be packing in this year if we gave up what Nashville did for Forsberg.

It would be something like Burrows and Schroeder for Forsberg. That's a pretty big price to pay when we are a team in contention this year.

Yes it would be great for the future but for the Canucks it wasn't an option for this deadline. Perhaps in the offseason, but when we're still in the running for the Northwest crown again losing Burrows would really hamper our chances of any success at all.

This deadline was predictably slow because of all the teams still within striking distance of the playoffs. Very few teams were sellers. I'm curious as to who else Gillis was targeting, he said most of the guys they were looking weren't traded at all.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: If Filip Forsberg was in play, GMMG should have at the very least had a horse in play. I can't believe he went for what he did. That's the kind of player to build the future around and if Gillis wasn't so busy checking Randys blow-hole for cheeseburgers, maybe he would've had a crack.

I'm much more despondent about this than not moving RL
We'd be packing in this year if we gave up what Nashville did for Forsberg.

It would be something like Burrows and Schroeder for Forsberg. That's a pretty big price to pay when we are a team in contention this year.

Yes it would be great for the future but for the Canucks it wasn't an option for this deadline. Perhaps in the offseason, but when we're still in the running for the Northwest crown again losing Burrows would really hamper our chances of any success at all.

This deadline was predictably slow because of all the teams still within striking distance of the playoffs. Very few teams were sellers. I'm curious as to who else Gillis was targeting, he said most of the guys they were looking weren't traded at all.
Ya that's steep but I still do it. Forsberg oozes franchise center potential.
If you need air...call it in
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Ya that's steep but I still do it. Forsberg oozes franchise center potential.
Everywhere I check has him listed as a winger.

No way Gillis moves Burrows at this deadline, and neither would I unless we got a roster player to take his place. Wasn't going to happen.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Aaronp18 wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: Ya that's steep but I still do it. Forsberg oozes franchise center potential.
Everywhere I check has him listed as a winger.

No way Gillis moves Burrows at this deadline, and neither would I unless we got a roster player to take his place. Wasn't going to happen.
I just see a stagnating attitude around the Canucks which will likely require someone from the core to move to wake them up. A deal like that would've weakened the wing on a cup run this year but honestly now, are we really thinking we can get by the big 3 in the west with this group?
Calgary hung on to their cup run team waaaay too long and look at them today. Burrows is good winger but he's already seen the peak of his production IMHO. Moving him now for a top rate center prospect like FF is the kind of proactive move this organization needs, even if GMMG doesn't recognize it yet.

McKeens Hockey Poolbook lists him @ center...I dunno :look:
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

Why the obsession with the future amongst Canucks fans? Why the obsession with getting rookies into the line-up and giving young players a chance. How about focussing on the here and now. How about embracing our position as an elite franchise that's a destination for great players.

How about making young players earn every inch they get, like Detroit does. Except when they do it, Mike Babcock is a genius and when we do it AV is a horrible coach who is killing the development potential of young players. Love the Canucks. So fucking tired of Canucks fans.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

If this was NHL 13 (or the Flyers organization) it would be pretty slick to move a 2nd and Connauton for Roy, a bunch of other picks for Clowe, and then Burrows and Schroeder or Forsberg.. but I don't see that kind of horse trading as being particularly beneficial during the season.

If Booth was here and performing and the Caps wanted him I'd trade a player like that, but Erat is a pretty valuable player and I'm guessing the Caps would take him over DB given the choice.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: A deal like that would've weakened the wing on a cup run this year but honestly now, are we really thinking we can get by the big 3 in the west with this group?
The big 3? Chicago, Anaheim and who? Minny??

We can compete with those teams, especially after we get Kesler back. Chicago and Anaheim had great starts to the season and their early success is amplified simply because there's only 48 games this year,

Their records have come back down to earth lately with their wins/loses in the past 10 at 6-4 for CHI and 5-4-1 for ANA.

We still have a great team and if they get their swagger back there isn't any reason they can't put a run together like the Kings did last year. Our goaltending is still the best of the top 4 teams in the West, and that can be a great equalizer as we have seen in the past.

A move to ship Burrows out isn't a deadline move for the Canucks, it's an offseason move.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Aaronp18 wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: A deal like that would've weakened the wing on a cup run this year but honestly now, are we really thinking we can get by the big 3 in the west with this group?
Kings. Big teams that have been difficult for us to beat(except CHI)

IF they get their swagger back...I agree but the way they've sputtered this year...I can't see it when I'm being totally honest with myself. I'd love to be wrong and will gladly heap praise on those with more faith than myself but I just cant see it.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Lou should have kept his yap shut yesterday,that was embarrassing.Toronto is obviously prepared to go with the goaltending thats got them to where they are,makes sense really.
The canucks had better make it to the 2nd round,cause its looking like the Aquamen are going to need that gate revenue for some expensive buyouts this summer.
If Kesler recovers quickly and the team gets hot who knows ? :thumbs:
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Aaronp18 wrote:

We can compete with those teams, especially after we get Kesler back. Chicago and Anaheim had great starts to the season and their early success is amplified simply because there's only 48 games this year,

Their records have come back down to earth lately with their wins/loses in the past 10 at 6-4 for CHI and 5-4-1 for ANA.

We still have a great team and if they get their swagger back there isn't any reason they can't put a run together like the Kings did last year. Our goaltending is still the best of the top 4 teams in the West, and that can be a great equalizer as we have seen in the past.

A move to ship Burrows out isn't a deadline move for the Canucks, it's an offseason move.
That Anaheim team is a farce - they are nowhere near as good as their record indicates. Decent team yep, playoff team yep, but not a top 2 team in the conference. They were ridiculously hot to start the year and are now starting to come back to earth.

Nucks are still a solid contender, not a favourite but definitely have the chance to win a round or two and with luck even further.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
McKeens Hockey Poolbook lists him @ center...I dunno :look:
I dont wanna yank yer chain too much but I couldnt resist :)

youre willing to hand over a rock solid character and team player in Burrows and a kid who has NHL regular written all over him for a proverbial franchise player you're not even sure what position he plays?? :look:
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote:A few comments:

Waaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaaa, suck it up Lou. As talented as he may be, sucking up to his emotional fragility is really annoying.

If what the media is saying is what Nonis was offering, why did Gillis bother even speaking to TO? I can understand starting with a lowball offer, but from there on, if there is no upward movement, why feed the troll?

If the Nonis offer is true, that should blow back to Nonis, not GMMG and Luongo.

The stories leaking out on the offers don't add up. If Nonis and GMMG hadn't spoken prior to this, Nonis's offer is no way to thaw the cold war. All it would do is plunge the relationship in the deep freeze.

Watch the other media houses take it to TSN. If the guys at Sportsnet were not even bigger bozos (McLean, Kyprios, Cox) they could have a field day with what TSN has put out the last couple of weeks. (the scoop on Feaster's failure with ROR's offer sheet, TSN's Ward and his Iggie to Boston scoop, and now expose this fiasco).

None of this will occur because the two stations combine to own the Leaves........over to you Elliot Friedman.
:D :D :D
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Diehard1 wrote: Nucks are still a solid contender, not a favourite but definitely have the chance to win a round or two and with luck even further.
I agree, with the uncertainty of Sid, Chicago is the favorite this year IMO. And a conference final against them would be outstanding, with everyone healthy I think it could go either way.

You mention the largest factor and that's luck, and injuries falls into this category. If we can stay healthy in the postseason and get a few bounces we have as good a shot as anyone else in the West.

Hopefully we used up our long term injuries in the regular season. With Kesler only coming back from a broken foot it shouldn't take him too long to get back into the swing of things. It has also afforded him the opportunity to further strengthen his shoulder and wrist after the surgeries.

Weise and Booth have soft tissue injuries that are a little harder to come back from immediately. Weise should be raring to go come the playoffs but who knows with Booth considering he had to have surgery on an ankle sprain.

As long as we do not sustain any more significant injuries I like our lineup that we will be able to ice come playoff time. No one saw the Kings run last year, we need to put together a couple months of elite hockey and we still have the personnel to do that this year.

We've seen flashes of it this year, the Kings game is a perfect example, now it's just making those games a more regular appearance instead of the odd occasion.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

herb wrote:Luongo looked like a crybaby in his little press conference, and honestly, that's why I want him gone. Cory looks more and more like a winner, and Roberto looks like a loser. I know people will always point to his record, his career numbers, etc, but I will never forget (early onset dementia aside) those god damn awful games he had against Chicago and that freaking song that still boils my blood.

Duh duh da da duh duh duh...ahhhh!

Luongo should have never opened his yap about waiving after the playoffs last year. That opened a hole can of media worms (more like maggots) that can't be closed. Now his comments about "my contract sucks" only makes an awkward situation worse. Just shut up and play/practice/sit there. You have 12 more regular season games here. Tough it out, wipe those tears with your $500,000 pay cheques and wait for the summer time.
Or he should have done what Cory did and gotten his agent to do the talking instead.

Or maybe pulled a CoHo and have his Dad speak for him.