Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Jovocop wrote:
Do you really think so? Do you remember one of our goalies in the past, Dan Cloutier? With one of the most potent offense and defense in the league in front of him, he had 3 straight 30+ wins seasons. Unfortunately, when the real season started, he could not stop a beachball. Would that be nice to have a goalie like Luongo during that time?? FFS, the Canucks could have won a cup or two during that time if Luongo was here. The Leaves have two NHL regular season goalies but until they win a playoffs game or two, they are still a big question mark.
Yes I think so.
I'd rather have Schneids than Luongo at this point, but if we can't move Lu then we'll have to go with him for a few more years and trade Ginger, so be it.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
Do you really think so? Do you remember one of our goalies in the past, Dan Cloutier? With one of the most potent offense and defense in the league in front of him, he had 3 straight 30+ wins seasons. Unfortunately, when the real season started, he could not stop a beachball. Would that be nice to have a goalie like Luongo during that time?? FFS, the Canucks could have won a cup or two during that time if Luongo was here. The Leaves have two NHL regular season goalies but until they win a playoffs game or two, they are still a big question mark.
Yes I think so.
I'd rather have Schneids than Luongo at this point, but if we can't move Lu then we'll have to go with him for a few more years and trade Ginger, so be it.
I was not talking about the Canucks. I was referring to your comments TO's need has gone way down.
ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:A game of chicken. The funny thing is that those of us that know Nonis know he covets Luongo. Why he is playing this game who knows but it is a dangerous one he should know well since he lived it with the Canucks.

And I agree, if MG was prepared to take Scivens and picks then he was trying to accommodate Luongo.

I have heard that Luongo was hopeful a deal could be worked out but he had been prepared by MG that a deal before the summer look unlikely. He is said to be more relived that it is over for now than disappointed. He had a few choice words for a few GM's that were playing hardball. He took it as a personal insult and we know how proud he is.

I think he will be fine. He will settle down, his teammates will rally around him and we all move on. I will enjoy watching the Leaves get destroyed in the playoffs. At the end of year interviews I am sure Nonis will be asked by Leaf brass if he thinks they could have gone deeper if they had traded for Luongo. Especially if it would only have cost him Scivens and draft picks. If thats true what the fuck is he thinking? That would have been a steal. Gotta think his ego got int he way on this one. Fuck if he turned that down what in the hell was he offering?
Cheeseburgler probably figures he's got a free pass from his owners this year anyway. He makes the playoffs and he's gden for next year, so be doesn't need Luongo and can't take a gamble that gillis needed to lose the contract more than he needed assets coming back.
Shrewd on his part if it works, No problem if it doesn't.
Lets hope it backfires big time like it did for him and Burke here...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think when the dust settles and the season is over things will look differently. Only 16 teams make the playoffs and only one wins the cup. Luongo can be traded. Look at some of the contracts handed out worse than his so the money is there. The reality is that it is not a mid season trade, just like Nash wasn't a mid season deal. A team that covets what he brings can absorb his cap easily. But the team has to be willing to pay the salary.

I really think this was a battle of egos that got out of hand. It stared with Shannon proclaiming the Leaves and Canucks had a deal and then went downhill from there. Whatever has gone on we all know Nonis covets this guy. But maybe he really believes his own press clippings.

Not one person on this board would have been happy had Luongo been traded for a mid level player and a 2 nd pick in January. Not one. Hind sight is 20-20 as they say. If all that is out there are bad deals then it will still be there in the summer.

Get a load or MClean tonight. Saying that the Canucks could now be looking at a worse case scenario, they have to waive Luongo, no one picks him up and he ends up in the minors like Redden. Already the shit is starting.

I think the worse case scenario is Luongo refusing to report to camp next year if he is still not traded. A deal will get done and I think we all have lowered our expectations. But for now, I really want them to win it for Luongo.
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck »

I've said all along I don't want no garbage from Toronto and I haven't changed my mind, I'm not interested in any player T.O. Has to offer. Full stop. Toronto is a garbage organization from top to bottom, their prospects are suspect and their roster players are middle of the road hacks.

I don't believe the garbage that the media has been slinging and Luongo's contract and I think that Luongo himself was being sarcastic when he said to was a crap contract.

I still believe and always have that Luongo is worth a player, a prospect, and a draft pick...

It's not unreasonable for one of the best goalies in the league and I think its the price Gillis will get on draft day...

Edit: I might be willing to take a combination but it still needs to equal three bodies.

Edit 2: On the draft floor I might call Nonis over to tell him I decided to take same his offer from the deadline but unfortunately, Luongo refused to waive his NTC...
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

If I'm Luongo, I don't waive to go to T-O. The man was clearly humbled today and I would expect he's not into going somewhere that values him so low.
After the shine of making the playoffs wears off, these teams weaknesses all get exposed in the end save for 1 team. There will be a GM interested in Luongo. The guys too enticing of a talent and actually comes with a pretty reasonable hit when you compare similar players.
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Vpete wrote:Is it wishful thinking- sure. But I remember when Luongo came to Vancouver and he had something to prove and he did. Had two Sedins with the flu and a goalie needing a crap not happened perhaps that series in Anaheim goes different.
:drink:

:rofl:

That's a good one.

The Sedins had just emerged as top line players. They were still untested in playoff hockey as the go to scorers. Naslund was struggling and declining. We were relying on Jeff Cowan to provide some offensive punch. Kesler and Burrows were 3rd line scrubs who played more with their mouths than their sticks and skates. Jan Bulis, Bryan Smolinski, Josh Green, Matt Cooke, and Taylor Pyatt were rounding out our forward corps, while Sami Salo, Willie Mitchell and a declining Matthias Ohlund anchored a blueline with a young Bieksa.....oh and it was this same blueline on which Lukas Krajicek and Rory Fitzpatrick saw regular ice-time.

Much as now the team has no offensive punch and struggles to score goals.

Anaheim won the Cup that year. They were built to win it. That series was never going any other way. The only reason it lasted 5 games was because of Luongo. Healthy Sedins MIGHT have made go 6.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Jovocop wrote:
I was not talking about the Canucks. I was referring to your comments TO's need has gone way down.
And I don't disagree with you, they can still crap out in the playoffs, however they THINK (ie maybe deluded) that their goaltending is fine so they don't need to deal.
Hockey Widow wrote:
Not one person on this board would have been happy had Luongo been traded for a mid level player and a 2 nd pick in January. Not one. Hind sight is 20-20 as they say. If all that is out there are bad deals then it will still be there in the summer.

Get a load or MClean tonight. Saying that the Canucks could now be looking at a worse case scenario, they have to waive Luongo, no one picks him up and he ends up in the minors like Redden. Already the shit is starting.

I think the worse case scenario is Luongo refusing to report to camp next year if he is still not traded. A deal will get done and I think we all have lowered our expectations. But for now, I really want them to win it for Luongo.
I actually would have been OK with Bozak & Franson (ie a decent 3rd center and a right D), and I said so back then. It's maybe not nearly as much as he's worth, but it is a couple of solid useful parts that we need, and it gets the problem solved.
It also saves us from dicking around for the whole year with wingers filling in for the center.
With the TO media endlessly crapping on Lu's contract the other GM's are starting to belive the BS and the market value goes down. :evil:

TO media is loopy, the worst case scenario is that if we don't get a taker for Lu we have to trade Ginger, and Lu is here for the forseeable future.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

ukcanuck wrote:I've said all along I don't want no garbage from Toronto and I haven't changed my mind, I'm not interested in any player T.O. Has to offer. Full stop. Toronto is a garbage organization from top to bottom, their prospects are suspect and their roster players are middle of the road hacks.

I don't believe the garbage that the media has been slinging and Luongo's contract and I think that Luongo himself was being sarcastic when he said to was a crap contract.

I still believe and always have that Luongo is worth a player, a prospect, and a draft pick...

It's not unreasonable for one of the best goalies in the league and I think its the price Gillis will get on draft day...
It's one hell of a gamble, my heart hopes you are right, but my head says the price goes down and we won't get as good a deal as we could have had at season's start.
The cost is having to play a whole season with a makeshift center and the inability to get a major player due to cap issues, and the risk is that the market value goes down.
I'd rather have taken the lesser deal earlier and be done with the problem.

Time will tell, but I'll be shocked if MG can pull a rabbit out
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

A few trades out there have me wondering just what the GM's were thinking.

Philadelphia acquires Mason from Columbus. Huh? Really? They have had non-stop goaltending issues for years and keep trying to fill the crease with goaltenders who have a track record of hot play followed by a return to sub par performance for extended periods.....but they just keep banking on one of them finally becoming their missing link between the pipes. For the record I don't think that it was a safe bet to trade Couturier for Bishop. Bishop looks like he could be the real deal, but he's young and untested in the playoffs.

Gaborik to Columbus. The BJ's confuse me. They shipped Nash out of town because it was time to rebuild and start fresh after years of losing. Gaborik has been a complete disappointment for a guy with such potential. Often injured, then periods of under performing, and he has never been a player to carry a team. So they give the Rangers Nash, then a year later take back an equally pricey contract, and one less likely to lead a team at that.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments:

Waaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaaa, suck it up Lou. As talented as he may be, sucking up to his emotional fragility is really annoying.

If what the media is saying is what Nonis was offering, why did Gillis bother even speaking to TO? I can understand starting with a lowball offer, but from there on, if there is no upward movement, why feed the troll?

If the Nonis offer is true, that should blow back to Nonis, not GMMG and Luongo.

The stories leaking out on the offers don't add up. If Nonis and GMMG hadn't spoken prior to this, Nonis's offer is no way to thaw the cold war. All it would do is plunge the relationship in the deep freeze.

Watch the other media houses take it to TSN. If the guys at Sportsnet were not even bigger bozos (McLean, Kyprios, Cox) they could have a field day with what TSN has put out the last couple of weeks. (the scoop on Feaster's failure with ROR's offer sheet, TSN's Ward and his Iggie to Boston scoop, and now expose this fiasco).

None of this will occur because the two stations combine to own the Leaves........over to you Elliot Friedman.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

I hope Luo's mouth doesn't come back to haunt us again.

Game 7 against the Laughs....GM...er...Rogers Centre half Blue & White fans because they paid for them in 1968.
Signs and chants of a crying baby saying my contract sucks, my contract sucks...we lose 10-9 in 10th OT.
:|

Seriously though, I think I figured it out (now I just gotta get HW to set up a meet with LG & MG for GMSpidey!

If the contract sucks™ then let's use that. Like in Aikido you use your opponents energy on them.

What would it take to buy it out this summer? 27 million?

We do it. Then sign him to a 5 mil/yr for 4 years.

Then we trade him for a top 6 D & rugged Winger and a 1st!

I'ma fuck'n genius I is! And after only 13 coffees!

You're welcome motha's! :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Correct me if I'm wrong but you cannot resign a player after you buy him out.

Good theory, I just don't think its doable under the current CBA rules.

They may need to buyout Lou but they'll also have to weigh that against possible buyouts to Ballard and Booth.

We'll see how the summer progresses. For now its time to buckle down, get Roy rolling and win some damn games!!!!!!! :devil:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Honestly I don't know why anyone gives credence to the dreck coming from the TSN/Rogers crews anymore.

I work on an EST schedule so I'm up for the early stuff anyways but watching other west coasters coming online at 5 AM to watch a bunch of hot air was just ... strange. Bizarre. Both because everyone knows that 90% of the activity comes within the 30 minutes before and after the deadline and because the drivel these guys spew trying to fill up dead airtime is just unbelievable.

Now in the post-deadline doldrums Canucks fans have decided that a clown like Darren Dreger is credible, that a 26 year old AHL journeyman and a handful of draft picks would help us out now more than the best plan B in the league.. just because Roberto's dejected and wearing it on his sleeve doesn't mean this situation is a catastrophe for anyone other than him (and his professional ambitions).

Aside from his - uhh, unorthodox - way of putting himself out there with the media, Luongo is a consummate pro and I have no doubt that he's going to play with drive and determination next time he gets into the net and for the rest of the year.

Stepping back from that situation (which I had little expectation for a resolution by yesterday anyway), in terms of other deadline moves there aren't a lot that I'm too sore about missing out on.
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

dbr wrote: Stepping back from that situation (which I had little expectation for a resolution by yesterday anyway), in terms of other deadline moves there aren't a lot that I'm too sore about missing out on.
If Filip Forsberg was in play, GMMG should have at the very least had a horse in play. I can't believe he went for what he did. That's the kind of player to build the future around and if Gillis wasn't so busy checking Randys blow-hole for cheeseburgers, maybe he would've had a crack.

I'm much more despondent about this than not moving RL
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...