Canucks Sign Higgins 4yr/10m

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rockalt
MVP
MVP

Canucks Sign Higgins 4yr/10m

Post by rockalt »

Apologies if this has already been posted but I didn't see a thread for it.

IMO, definitely worthy of one!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419694

Fantastic signing particularly with respect to term. I'm surprised Higgy didn't hold out for a longer term at that price. He'll be 33 when the contract expires and likely still a very capable player throughout the contract. Love the signing personally.

Thoughts?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Sign Higgins 4yr/10m

Post by Hockey Widow »

In the Canucks news and notes thread. But no problem having a new one for this I would think.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Higgins is the ilk of player that lost leverage with the new CBA.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I'll take Higgins at $2.5 over Booth (what we've seen so far) at $4.25, but I'll agree with Topper that these top nine types should be the ones feeling the pressure come July.

Chris has been a great fit here but otherwise I am kind of hoping the team waits and sees how low prices get for the other role players.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Given this deal and potentially looking to re-sign Roy, depending on his performance, I think Raymond and Booth are likely gone. I'm also assuming Lu is a given and potentially Ballard as well. Like Higgins' game, he plays 100% all the time and can play a number of different styles. I like the signing.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Good signing. The guy doesn't take shifts off and chips in timely goals.
If you need air...call it in
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Diehard1 wrote:Given this deal and potentially looking to re-sign Roy
If they sign Roy then waive goodbye to Schroeder, who's played well this year.

Heard Schroeder's been sent down already, so who's the 3C on this team until Kesler gets back? I would assume Roy would take that role and then him or Kesler would drop to 3C.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

vic wrote: so who's the 3C on this team until Kesler gets back?
Lappy and then Ebbett as a stop gap till Kesler comes back.

Plus parts that come in tomorrow as well.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

vic wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:Given this deal and potentially looking to re-sign Roy
If they sign Roy then waive goodbye to Schroeder, who's played well this year.

Heard Schroeder's been sent down already, so who's the 3C on this team until Kesler gets back? I would assume Roy would take that role and then him or Kesler would drop to 3C.
Schroeder has been good, and bad as well. He's a young guy still trying to figure his way in this league. My guess is he may be part of a trade for another upgrade up front, simply because I'm not sure he's the guy you want as a 3rd line center and your 1st/2nd line roles are taken in Van for at least the next 3 or 4 years (assuming Henrik re-signs).

Roy and Kes will both be centering lines, I would think that barring another trade they will make Kesler's the checking line (though they will play just as much as a typical 2nd line) and Roy's more of a scoring line. Guess we'll see what AV and crew decide to do.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Higgens was an obvious signing.

He loves it here and seems to fit in really well. Skates well, good in his own zone, scores enough, can play multiple positions. 2.5 is a good price even in a depressed market.
Diehard1 wrote:Given this deal and potentially looking to re-sign Roy, depending on his performance, I think Raymond and Booth are likely gone. I'm also assuming Lu is a given and potentially Ballard as well. Like Higgins' game, he plays 100% all the time and can play a number of different styles. I like the signing.
Lu and Ballard are gone for sure.

They can probably only bring back one of Booth, Raymond, and Roy, it will likely come down to the playoffs. That's assuming Booth can be traded, if he can't then it comes down to Aquaman's willingness to sign a big check.

Schroeder has been good, and bad as well. He's a young guy still trying to figure his way in this league
Exactly.

People need to stop worrying about Schroeder fitting in.

This kid is just starting out and he has a long way to go, but he can help the team in number of ways both sort term and long.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

what this tells me is that Gillis doesnt think he can buy,draft or get a player that will be better for the team than Higgins is for at least 4 years...kinda makes me feel sad...
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

the Dogsalmon wrote:what this tells me is that Gillis doesnt think he can buy,draft or get a player that will be better for the team than Higgins is for at least 4 years...kinda makes me feel sad...
Does Higgins have a NMC/NTC? If not, he's an asset for Gillis at that term and price if nothing else.

In any case, Gillis knows what he has in Higgins, and apparently likes it. Something to be said for known quantities versus taking a flyer on a guy who may cost as much if not more, but won't contribute any better.

Glad to have him around for four more years.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Higgins has a limited NTC.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

the Dogsalmon wrote:what this tells me is that Gillis doesnt think he can buy,draft or get a player that will be better for the team than Higgins is for at least 4 years...kinda makes me feel sad...
Higgens scores at a 20 goal pace and is excellent defensively.

You think guys like that fall out of every tree you shake?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Now this is a proper contract - 2.5 million per. Good guy. Fair and square for both parties involved. If Higgy could somehow overcome his inconsistent streaky play, he'd be worth twice that. This is the ball park Booth should be paid in, if that were the case I'd leave the jesus freak alone.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau