Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Aaronp18 wrote:Watched a bit of Afterhours las night and I definitely got the impression that he won't be signing an extension with the Canucks.

His family in Ottawa seemed like a really big factor so I'd imagine he signs back there. The Laughs is what I figure.
I got that feeling too. Although, it's very early to say. A deep run, some more time to gel, develop some friendships, win some hockey games etc. He might decide Vancouver is where he wants to be.

OTOH, if an eastern team wants to blow their wad on him that's fine. I doubt he's comfortable playing a 3rd line role here once Kesler is healthy, and there's zero chance we get him for 3rd line C money.

We'll see. He's worth that price as a rental. Chances are we can re-acquire picks at the draft in the Luongo deal, and use trades or UFA to pick up a more traditional checking centre.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Wouldn't read too much into that (Afterhours Roy interview).

Higgins (off season home in NY) was non-committal/evasive in interviews after he was acquired by the Canucks in 2011. Expect the Canucks cap situation, & Roy's demands/performance to tell the story. We can hope, even if it is slim.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Maybe him and his agent recognize the fact that the Canucks are not very well positioned to sign Roy due to Cap constraints with the current payroll heading into next season.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:Watched a bit of Afterhours las night and I definitely got the impression that he won't be signing an extension with the Canucks.

His family in Ottawa seemed like a really big factor so I'd imagine he signs back there. The Laughs is what I figure.
He's from Ottawa...no chance he wants to tickle the blowhole. I'd bet the Sens
But with Spezza, Turis and now Conacher all centers I don't know I the Sens have the roster spot for him. Their needs are different.

TO needs a centre. And can overpay for one. They'd likely be more than happy to give Roy a $5-6M per year deal. That why I'm thinking the Laughs.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:Maybe him and his agent recognize the fact that the Canucks are not very well positioned to sign Roy due to Cap constraints with the current payroll heading into next season.
Yes because the payroll for next season is written in stone. The Canucks will be in cap hell in the summer and there isn't a damn thing they can do about it . They are fucked. The Sedins are closing in on 40, Schneider will likely get hurt, Kassian is an alcoholic, Kesler will get hurt again, Garrison is a bum, Hamhuis is going to turn 37, Hansen will bolt to FA, Higgins is an overpaid slug, Bieksa will get punched out and concussed, Jensen will be a bust, Luongo will have to be bought out, Gillis is an idiot. Did I do it right ??

THIS TEAM IS FUCKED!!!!!!!!!
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Maybe him and his agent recognize the fact that the Canucks are not very well positioned to sign Roy due to Cap constraints with the current payroll heading into next season.
Yes because the payroll for next season is written in stone. The Canucks will be in cap hell in the summer and there isn't a damn thing they can do about it . They are fucked. The Sedins are closing in on 40, Schneider will likely get hurt, Kassian is an alcoholic, Kesler will get hurt again, Garrison is a bum, Hamhuis is going to turn 37, Hansen will bolt to FA, Higgins is an overpaid slug, Bieksa will get punched out and concussed, Jensen will be a bust, Luongo will have to be bought out, Gillis is an idiot. Did I do it right ??

LOL...pretty close Blob...ya just have to stick to those guns over the long haul.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

:lol: and my feet are freezing, this team is fucked..... :rofl:

Alcoholics, sluts and old busts....more to say?
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Just don't see the sense in signing a small centre like Roy when you have a similar player in Schroeder in the system who could be as good as Roy one day and is a helluva lot cheaper, that is, unless Roy really shines here, then I could see Gillis and crew trying to make room for him, but that may be a difficult task. If they do sign Roy then I imagine Schroeder becomes available on the trade market? Two centre's at 5'-9"? Not so sure about that.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Aaronp18 wrote: But with Spezza, Turis and now Conacher all centers I don't know I the Sens have the roster spot for him. Their needs are different.

TO needs a centre. And can overpay for one. They'd likely be more than happy to give Roy a $5-6M per year deal. That why I'm thinking the Laughs.
Although seems Conacher is a winger looking at other sources. So he may fit in Ottawas plans, but I still think TO will pay more as Roy will be one of the very few centres on the open market this summer.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Per wrote:

In my opinion BMo has been severly overrated as a player.
I agree
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cookie La Rue wrote:....more to say?
David Booth has only scored 1 empty net goal and loves Jesus
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote: But with Spezza, Turis and now Conacher all centers I don't know I the Sens have the roster spot for him. Their needs are different.

Although seems Conacher is a winger looking at other sources. So he may fit in Ottawas plans, but I still think TO will pay more as Roy will be one of the very few centres on the open market this summer.
Considering Kesler and his recent "injury prone" history...maybe he re-signs with a team that showed enough interest to actually give up assets in acquiring him? Maybe he see the Laffs as the chicken shit outfit that they are and would rather be part of a winner than try to bring a bottom feeder out of the mud under the guidance of Bobandy Nonis...
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

My take, he didn't want to answer the question about whether he would sign an extension because he has every intention of testing FA market. Simple as that. Does not rule Canucks out at all. He wants to be FA and test the market.

But if the rumours of him wanting north or 5 are true I just can't see how MG could make that offer. If however MG is interested and is willing to pay that type of money he has the advantage in that he can offer a contract over 8 years. But really do we want Derek Roy for 5, 6, 7 for 8 years??

Just asking is all.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Cookie La Rue wrote:....more to say?
David Booth has only scored 1 empty net goal and loves Jesus
Exactly my thoughts
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Just asking is all.
If he heads to July 1st I don't see him staying a Canuck. Who knows, he may develop some chemistry and if there is significant team success he may want to stay but the way he bout up "I'm not sure how may parents will get out to games, etc." it just seems he wants to head closer to home.

And this may have been why nothing could be worked out in Dallas.

And if he goes for north of $5M it definitely isn't happening in Vancouver.