Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Post by Hockey Widow »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Just asking is all.
If he heads to July 1st I don't see him staying a Canuck. Who knows, he may develop some chemistry and if there is significant team success he may want to stay but the way he bout up "I'm not sure how may parents will get out to games, etc." it just seems he wants to head closer to home.

And this may have been why nothing could be worked out in Dallas.

And if he goes for north of $5M it definitely isn't happening in Vancouver.

Well, his brother lives in Vancouver and loves it here. But I agree if he gets that type of money we cannot afford him. But boy it sure would be nice to think that JS could develop into that type of player.
The only HW the Canucks need
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Pers said:
In my opinion BMo has been severly underrarted as a player. He's one of those that makes those around him shine, but dorsn't get the credit he himself deserves. If Roy is anything like BMo, this was a huge pickup.
Agree 100%.. just hoping Roy is almost as good as BMo.. Read your post and went back and looked at the stats.. BMo was not only an excellent playmaker but was way ahead of Naslund and Bert in defensive play.. Check the +/- stats.. A good faceoff man and a smart hockey player. If we get that out of Roy the Canucks are a contender .. Dunno what happens in the future but like the pick up for this year.

Small aside..BMo looked good in training camp a couple years back.. So Gillis signed Peter f*ng Schaeffer.. :( and passed on Morrison ,,
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Tiger wrote:Pers said:
In my opinion BMo has been severly underrarted as a player. He's one of those that makes those around him shine, but dorsn't get the credit he himself deserves. If Roy is anything like BMo, this was a huge pickup.
Agree 100%.. just hoping Roy is almost as good as BMo.. Read your post and went back and looked at the stats.. BMo was not only an excellent playmaker but was way ahead of Naslund and Bert in defensive play.. Check the +/- stats.. A good faceoff man and a smart hockey player. If we get that out of Roy the Canucks are a contender .. Dunno what happens in the future but like the pick up for this year.

Small aside..BMo looked good in training camp a couple years back.. So Gillis signed Peter f*ng Schaeffer.. :( and passed on Morrison ,,
Maybe BMo mentioned how much he owed BB & Nonuts to GMMG...oops faux paus! Brendan :eh:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Let's wait and see how Roy does in the playoffs before talking extension. In terms of regular season fit, I would hope that we get a chance to see Roy play a 3rd line center role and on the wing alongside Kesler. I think it will cost $4M-$4.5M to re-sign him here so if the team can trade Booth, I think Roy would be a better fit on this team given Raymond's UFA status, Kassian and Jensen coming up through the system, and Roy's versatility (basically ability to play center). But assuming we are going to gamble on Henrik and Kesler staying healthy, I really don't see how Roy fits in. Given the cap, the team is better off seeing if Schroeder can take the next step.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Per wrote:

In my opinion BMo has been severly overrated as a player.
I agree
As an asside not only was B-Mo way overrated he is listed at 5ft 11 on hockeydb......that might be an even bigger joke. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Let's let Roy play a few games before looking to re-sign him. The early returns are promising but I would like to see what he can do when the checking gets tougher in the playoffs.

As for signing him - there's definitely a way to if that's what the team decides. It would involve getting rid of Raymond (which I think is already a foregone conclusion), Ballard (would be very surprised if he is here next year) and likely Booth as well, along with trading Lu. It's a lot to do but could be done, depending how much dough Francesco wants to spend.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Maybe him and his agent recognize the fact that the Canucks are not very well positioned to sign Roy due to Cap constraints with the current payroll heading into next season.
Yes because the payroll for next season is written in stone. The Canucks will be in cap hell in the summer and there isn't a damn thing they can do about it . They are fucked. The Sedins are closing in on 40, Schneider will likely get hurt, Kassian is an alcoholic, Kesler will get hurt again, Garrison is a bum, Hamhuis is going to turn 37, Hansen will bolt to FA, Higgins is an overpaid slug, Bieksa will get punched out and concussed, Jensen will be a bust, Luongo will have to be bought out, Gillis is an idiot. Did I do it right ??

THIS TEAM IS FUCKED!!!!!!!!!
That is one all encompassing review of the team. Looks like the only guy to avoid your Big Torpedo of Truth is Ballard.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hockey Widow wrote:My take, he didn't want to answer the question about whether he would sign an extension because he has every intention of testing FA market. Simple as that. Does not rule Canucks out at all. He wants to be FA and test the market.

But if the rumours of him wanting north or 5 are true I just can't see how MG could make that offer.
I don't see Roy as being worth as much going forward as he is being paid right now. His numbers have been fading the past few seasons, and I think it is a trend. He's 30 this May, and I can't see him being a productive guy 3 or 4 years down the road. If he wants a big pay day, let some other team grab him at $25 for 5, but not us. We already have enough long term contracts that extend beyond the player's shelf life. No need for another
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

The funny things about Roy vs. Booth:

1) The Canucks need power forwards, one that is willing to crash the net (Booth).
2) Booth needs a playmaking center like Roy to be successful (similar to Weiss in Florida), not a sniper like Kesler.
3) The Canucks' powerplay is nothing without Kesler. They need Kesler.
4) Roy would be benefited playing along with guys like Booth. Someone who can create space for him to make plays.
5) In order to keep Roy, the Canucks might need to give up on Booth.

If MG could find a way to keep Roy without giving up Booth...
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

The deeper the Canucks go in the playoffs, the better the chance of resigning Roy. He's a player that has never really had a strong taste of success. He might like that taste if he gets it.

If the Canucks over-perform in the plaoyss and make Conference Finals perhaps Mr. Roy will be more open to taking a Gillis discount and sticking around.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Jovocop wrote: The funny things about Roy vs. Booth:
1) The Canucks need power forwards, one that is willing to crash the net (Booth).
They could turn Kesler into that power forward
Jovocop wrote: 2) Booth needs a playmaking center like Roy to be successful (similar to Weiss in Florida), not a sniper like Kesler.
If Kelser is a sniper and Roy is a play-making center (and a good one to boot), why not sign in as a 2C and move Kesler to the wing.
Jovocop wrote: 3) The Canucks' powerplay is nothing without Kesler. They need Kesler.
They can keep Kesler

Jovocop wrote: 4) Roy would be benefited playing along with guys like Booth. Someone who can create space for him to make plays.
If AV gives Kassian some room to develop, a Kelser - Roy - Kassian line could look dangerous.

With Schroeder playing with Jensen the rest of the way down on the farm a 3rd line of Jensen - Schroeder - Higgins would look nice next year.
Jovocop wrote: 5) In order to keep Roy, the Canucks might need to give up on Booth.
No problem, they have Kesler
Jovocop wrote: If MG could find a way to keep Roy without giving up Booth...
See Above

Forward Group:
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Kelser - Roy - Kassian/Higgins
Jensen/Hansen - Schroeder - Higgins/Kassian
Hansen/Jensen - Lappy - Weise
Sestito

Buy outs or trade options:
Ballard
Luongo
Booth
Rights to Raymond
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Maybe him and his agent recognize the fact that the Canucks are not very well positioned to sign Roy due to Cap constraints with the current payroll heading into next season.
Yes because the payroll for next season is written in stone. The Canucks will be in cap hell in the summer and there isn't a damn thing they can do about it . They are fucked. The Sedins are closing in on 40, Schneider will likely get hurt, Kassian is an alcoholic, Kesler will get hurt again, Garrison is a bum, Hamhuis is going to turn 37, Hansen will bolt to FA, Higgins is an overpaid slug, Bieksa will get punched out and concussed, Jensen will be a bust, Luongo will have to be bought out, Gillis is an idiot. Did I do it right ??

THIS TEAM IS FUCKED!!!!!!!!!
If any of those injuries occur this year Blob, I'm blaming you.....testing Murphy like that.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Praise Jesus, Kesler is back today.

Henrik
Kesler
Roy
Lappiere

Beauty
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Benjo wrote:Praise Jesus, Kesler is back today.

Henrik
Kesler
Roy
Lappiere

Beauty

Is that you Boothe?
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

perfect timing,10 games left for him to get up to speed and then playoffs :thumbs:

NO SHOT BLOCKING TONIGHT