What would you do at the deadline if you were Gillis?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: What would you do at the deadline if you were Gillis?

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds still doesn't understand, it's a league now where there isn't a great demand for goaltenders, especially expensive old ones with long nasty contracts. GM's feel they can just collapse their D around the likes of your Bobrovsky's(sp?) and as soon as the Bobrovsky's start to stink they just replace him with another no name. It's the brave new world of the NHL.

How Gillis has handled this Luongo debacle is comical really, making the public announcement that they would be trading Luongo and keeping Schneider is just dumb GM'ing. Good GM's keep their cards close to their chests and say fuck all. Rookie mistake by Gillis how he as handled all of this. Now, if he does decide to trade Schneider cause he simply cannot trade Luongo, he is gonna look more like the flake he truly is.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Hopefully Gillis at least looks to the future if he makes a deal at the deadline, there are too many problems with this team at the moment to expect anything other than an early playoff exit, assuming the Canucks even make the playoffs. It's pretty clear the team needs a major shakeup amongst the core group and given a declining cap and the fact the majority of them have NTC's that is going to be difficult to do. The unfortunate reality is that the off season may be the better time to make decisions and deals.

Injuries aside, veteran defence men continue make the same mistakes night in and night out, the power play has long since past the struggling stage and can best be likened to something you might scrape off your shoe, and it appears the coaching staff has no idea what to do with the players they have. The trade deadline isn't going to fix what appears to be a team that has literally aspired to mediocrity from the coaches on down.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:Mëds still doesn't understand, it's a league now where there isn't a great demand for goaltenders, especially expensive old ones with long nasty contracts. GM's feel they can just collapse their D around the likes of your Bobrovsky's(sp?) and as soon as the Bobrovsky's start to stink they just replace him with another no name. It's the brave new world of the NHL.

How Gillis has handled this Luongo debacle is comical really, making the public announcement that they would be trading Luongo and keeping Schneider is just dumb GM'ing. Good GM's keep their cards close to their chests and say fuck all. Rookie mistake by Gillis how he as handled all of this. Now, if he does decide to trade Schneider cause he simply cannot trade Luongo, he is gonna look more like the flake he truly is.
I don't get it?

You're smart enough to string sentences together and even manage to get the punctuation right mostly, yet you spew garbage that that not even the kiddies on the short bus would believe...

Why? At some point trolling g is fucking boring, why don't you weigh in with a real opinion?
You must have one that doesn't have an ulterior motive
Right?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote: I don't get it?

You're smart enough to string sentences together and even manage to get the punctuation right mostly, yet you spew garbage that that not even the kiddies on the short bus would believe...

Why? At some point trolling g is fucking boring, why don't you weigh in with a real opinion?
Right?
Try reading the first word in my post, ukcanuck, it would go a long way for you.

That being said, I just love how the likes of you somehow find it in ya to qualify your position of FIRE AV over my position of FIRE Gillis, that's just called opinions, but if it helps you sleep better at night by casting me off as a Troll cause we don't see eye to eye, so be it....ya just look like an arrogant ass for it. But hey keep firing away with the 'troll' ad hominem, it's rich.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: I don't get it?

Right?
Try reading the first word in my post, ukcanuck, it would go a long way for you.

That being said, I just love how the likes of you somehow find it in ya to qualify your position of FIRE AV over my position of FIRE Gillis, that's just called opinions, but if it helps you sleep better at night by casting me off as a Troll cause we don't see eye to eye, so be it....ya just look like an arrogant ass for it. But hey keep firing away with the 'troll' ad hominem, it's rich.
Lol
Mëds is required when reading your posts yes,
But I'm not knocking you for your position on firing Gillis over AV, I want a cup and if it takes a new GM,
Whatever, lets get one...
I have no loyalty to Gilly or AV..per se
I am open to shit canning AV because a change up sometimes works mid season and most likely an early exit will force MG in the summer anyway.

I agree that Gillis hasn't been Moses so far and some criticism is in order,
But you are making shit up and skewing the facts and revising faster than a CIA meeting with Dick Cheney.

The part that makes you a troll is you know it
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Kassian to the wolves - because he needs to play (AV's words not mine).

Anybody else totally confused by this? I was assuming he was injured not a healthy scratch - doesn't really make much sense since the Wolves don't play until Tuesday and the Nucks play Monday. Wouldn't he play just as much in Van? Wouldn't he be better than Gordon, Pinizzotto and Sestito?

Colour me confused on this one, unless something else is up.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote:Kassian to the wolves - because he needs to play (AV's words not mine).

Anybody else totally confused by this? I was assuming he was injured not a healthy scratch - doesn't really make much sense since the Wolves don't play until Tuesday and the Nucks play Monday. Wouldn't he play just as much in Van? Wouldn't he be better than Gordon, Pinizzotto and Sestito?

A bit odd that one
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Diehard1 wrote:Kassian to the wolves - because he needs to play (AV's words not mine).

Speaking of Gordon, Pinizzotto and Sestito, they are pretty bad. Gordon works hard but no skill whatsoever. Pinizzotto offers nothing. I prefer Volpatti over him. Sestito is just a useless 4th line enforcer, nothing more nothing less...
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hmmm... that deal is pretty fair and would make sense for both teams. I'd like to make the deal a little bigger though. :P

Lupul & Komisarek
for
Louongo & Ballard

Zamboni Driver wrote:Dave Pratt is certain that Lu will be moved by the deadline- to TO for Lupul
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote: Lol
Mëds is required when reading your posts yes,
But I'm not knocking you for your position on firing Gillis over AV, I want a cup and if it takes a new GM,
Whatever, lets get one...
I have no loyalty to Gilly or AV..per se
I am open to shit canning AV because a change up sometimes works mid season and most likely an early exit will force MG in the summer anyway.

I agree that Gillis hasn't been Moses so far and some criticism is in order,
But you are making shit up and skewing the facts and revising faster than a CIA meeting with Dick Cheney.

The part that makes you a troll is you know it
What I like is how once you call him on his shit he ignores such a post like it doesn't exist and carries on. :P
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What would I do at the deadline if I were Gillis? Put a bullet in my head.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:What would I do at the deadline if I were Gillis? Put a bullet in my head.
Then would you do us all a favor and go pick up a gun and pretend that you actually are Mike Gillis for just 10 seconds? Please.....
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Diehard1 wrote:Just as the headline states - what would you do if you were Gillis? Here are my thoughts (yep, there are a few of them):

1) Trade Luongo - notice I didn't say try to trade him, I said trade him. This circus has gone on long enough, good on Lu for not making it worse but he wants to go and he's not necessary anymore. Gillis should take the best offer on the table, whatever it might be, and move him while getting a decent backup for injury cover in return. Don't need this distraction during the playoffs, wondering who might start the next game if Schneids looks shakey one game (and he will, goalies always do).

2) Try to trade Ballard - and this time I mean try, you don't have to do it but it might be a good idea. We all know he's as good as gone in the summer as he's redundant with Garrison, Hamhuis and Edler ahead of him on the left side, never mind the fact his salary is high. He's not all that valuable but if you can get something for him and replace him with a depth guy for this year you do it, if not you try to trade/buy him out in the summer. I'd get rid of Ballard over Booth simply because Booth fills a need (LW with Raymond and Higgins both UFA) more than Ballard does, even though Ballard has been better this season.

3) Find another top 9 forward - ideally this is a center, but a guy who can play center or wing would be fine. He needs to be able to take faceoffs, preferably is a left handed shot and has a little bit of offense. The biggest lift the top 9 will get is Kesler's return in a few weeks, other than that the depth on wing is very good when healthy.

4) Trade one of Higgins/Raymond - This assumes everyone is healthy, or close to it. I say this because I hate losing assets for nothing, and there's no way Gillis signs both. I'd offer one a contract and see if you can sign him, then trade the other. Ideally you keep Raymond because physical wingers in Jensen and potentially Laganiere (if signed) are close to the NHL.

All of these aren't mutually exclusive - i.e. you could get a top 9 guy in return for Lu - but this is what I would do. Don't trade too much youth but a pick or a prospect is fine, just not multiple of each unless it's a long term sloution.
So far they've got the top 9 guy and they've signed Higgins, so they've done 2 of the 4 things I wanted. Now they needx to trade Lu and try and trade Ballard, if possible. We'll see what happens, Gilman says they are aggressively going after guys.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Mëds wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:What would I do at the deadline if I were Gillis? Put a bullet in my head.
Then would you do us all a favor and go pick up a gun and pretend that you actually are Mike Gillis for just 10 seconds? Please.....
He'd probably miss and fail like GMMG 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Diehard1 wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:Just as the headline states - what would you do if you were Gillis? Here are my thoughts (yep, there are a few of them):

1) Trade Luongo - notice I didn't say try to trade him, I said trade him. This circus has gone on long enough, good on Lu for not making it worse but he wants to go and he's not necessary anymore. Gillis should take the best offer on the table, whatever it might be, and move him while getting a decent backup for injury cover in return. Don't need this distraction during the playoffs, wondering who might start the next game if Schneids looks shakey one game (and he will, goalies always do).

2) Try to trade Ballard - and this time I mean try, you don't have to do it but it might be a good idea. We all know he's as good as gone in the summer as he's redundant with Garrison, Hamhuis and Edler ahead of him on the left side, never mind the fact his salary is high. He's not all that valuable but if you can get something for him and replace him with a depth guy for this year you do it, if not you try to trade/buy him out in the summer. I'd get rid of Ballard over Booth simply because Booth fills a need (LW with Raymond and Higgins both UFA) more than Ballard does, even though Ballard has been better this season.

3) Find another top 9 forward - ideally this is a center, but a guy who can play center or wing would be fine. He needs to be able to take faceoffs, preferably is a left handed shot and has a little bit of offense. The biggest lift the top 9 will get is Kesler's return in a few weeks, other than that the depth on wing is very good when healthy.

4) Trade one of Higgins/Raymond - This assumes everyone is healthy, or close to it. I say this because I hate losing assets for nothing, and there's no way Gillis signs both. I'd offer one a contract and see if you can sign him, then trade the other. Ideally you keep Raymond because physical wingers in Jensen and potentially Laganiere (if signed) are close to the NHL.

All of these aren't mutually exclusive - i.e. you could get a top 9 guy in return for Lu - but this is what I would do. Don't trade too much youth but a pick or a prospect is fine, just not multiple of each unless it's a long term sloution.
So far they've got the top 9 guy and they've signed Higgins, so they've done 2 of the 4 things I wanted. Now they needx to trade Lu and try and trade Ballard, if possible. We'll see what happens, Gilman says they are aggressively going after guys.
Raymond + a prospect + a 1st rounder for Clowe? UFA for UFA...

Luongo for a top 4 RH defenseman + a 1st rounder

Ballard for a backup goalie

Lineup for the playoffs:
Daniel / Henrik / Clowe
Burrows / Kesler / Higgins
Booth (hopeful) / Roy / Hansen
Weise / Lapierre / Kassian

Bieksa / Edler
??? / Hamhuis
Tanev / Garrison

Schneider
???