What would you do at the deadline if you were Gillis?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: What would you do at the deadline if you were Gillis?

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Hockey Widow wrote:

The leaves have a good team but come playoff time I do not see either of their goalie as being able to steal a series or two, and that is what it will take. The Pens have goaltending issues, unless MAF recovers from his injury and regains his cup winning form, or Vokoun shines which is possible, but will rely upon their top nine to out score other teams. The leaves don't have that type of fire power.

The leaves are still a young team but are now well coached. I just don't see them going deep.
Oh heck I don't see them going deep either, but looks they'll avoid missing the playoffs 8 years in a row
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ukcanuck wrote:
Mëds wrote:I get a good laugh from the posts that warn us that trading Lou is a bad move because if Schneider gets hurt then we are screwed.

No shit Sherlocks.

That puts us in the same boat as every other team in the league.

Having a pair of great goalies isn't going to do anything in the playoffs if the team can't score because there aren't any forwards to get it done,
What would be different than every other team in the league is having absolutely no back up having played one minute in the NHL...
Every other team will have a one two combination while we are one goalie run away from Matt clime in the playoffs...
Unless a top six proven scorer is coming back with a back up goalie as part of the package, better to wait till the draft to move Luongo you never know how it shakes down, maybe Luongo helps us move up in the draft
That is a good point. Perhaps a swap of number ones plus plus with a team that has a higher pick. And who knows. This prolonged period of no trade may make Luongo agree to go almost anywhere.
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
Mëds wrote:I get a good laugh from the posts that warn us that trading Lou is a bad move because if Schneider gets hurt then we are screwed.

No shit Sherlocks.

That puts us in the same boat as every other team in the league.

Having a pair of great goalies isn't going to do anything in the playoffs if the team can't score because there aren't any forwards to get it done,
What would be different than every other team in the league is having absolutely no back up having played one minute in the NHL...
Every other team will have a one two combination while we are one goalie run away from Matt clime in the playoffs...
Unless a top six proven scorer is coming back with a back up goalie as part of the package, better to wait till the draft to move Luongo you never know how it shakes down, maybe Luongo helps us move up in the draft
That is a good point. Perhaps a swap of number ones plus plus with a team that has a higher pick. And who knows. This prolonged period of no trade may make Luongo agree to go almost anywhere.
Florida will have an Awesome draft position ... Just sayin
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

TG stated quite nonchalantly on the TEAM last week that Luongo nixed a deal Gillis had made with TO back in the summer. He then back-pedaled and said "allegedly".

AFAIHH, nothing has been mentioned by anyone on the subject since. Regardless of whether this were true or not, there would always be further speculation on such a juicy tidbit, given the members of the ridiculous media in this town... but there hasn't been. It's my belief that this is indeed true, but with the circus that is the "trade deadline" before us, it makes for more compelling (nauseating) discussion suggesting TO is still an option. (Enter TO media) And for endless gloating from the West Coast once the goaltending situation is resolved, that Luongo did indeed exercise his NTC against a proposed deal with Toronto. :drink:

I still maintain that Luongo has no interest in playing for another hockey mad market, one that is further away from winning a cup, but mostly because he would still be 2000 km's from his family. Even with the prospect of making the playoffs for the first time in nearly a decade, Toronto is not an enticing destination.
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

ukcanuck wrote:What happens if Schneider trips over his dick in the shower and is out for 6 weeks or some such shit and you just traded Luongo for low draft picks to your competition for a cup??
This. If there's a good package you move him. There is no need to throw Lou away for next to nothing just before the playoffs, if we're planning on throwing him away for next to nothing we can always do that in the off season. I don't think having a high-quality backup on the bench during the playoffs is a "problem" that needs to be solved at all costs.

As an aside, people talk about "asset management" and "not losing something for nothing", but ya know, the PRESENT is worth something too. Add a healthy Kesler and Booth (both slated to be back for playoffs) and this is not a bad team. Not 2011, but not terrible. Who saw the Kings taking a run in 2012?
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

darren wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:What happens if Schneider trips over his dick in the shower and is out for 6 weeks or some such shit and you just traded Luongo for low draft picks to your competition for a cup??
This. If there's a good package you move him. There is no need to throw Lou away for next to nothing just before the playoffs, if we're planning on throwing him away for next to nothing we can always do that in the off season. I don't think having a high-quality backup on the bench during the playoffs is a "problem" that needs to be solved at all costs.

As an aside, people talk about "asset management" and "not losing something for nothing", but ya know, the PRESENT is worth something too. Add a healthy Kesler and Booth (both slated to be back for playoffs) and this is not a bad team. Not 2011, but not terrible. Who saw the Kings taking a run in 2012?
If any major player gets injured - Crosby, Daniel, Henrik, Thornton, Toews, Lundqvist, etc - their team is screwed. Why the hell would you keep an asset sitting on the bench when it could be on the ice actually helping you win? I really dont understand this mentality, makes no sense. If you're going to sit here and worry about who could get injured you're never going to do anything.

As you say, the present is worth something - but you're throwing away a piece of it if you leave an asset on the bench that could really help by bringing something back in trade. That statement contradicts you other sentence.

As for Toronto, if you get Bozak plus a little something I'm all for it - no idea what that little something would be, perhaps a draft pick or solid prospect.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Diehard1 wrote:
darren wrote:

If any major player gets injured - Crosby, Daniel, Henrik, Thornton, Toews, Lundqvist, etc - their team is screwed. Why the hell would you keep an asset sitting on the bench when it could be on the ice actually helping you win? I really dont understand this mentality, makes no sense. If you're going to sit here and worry about who could get injured you're never going to do anything.

As you say, the present is worth something - but you're throwing away a piece of it if you leave an asset on the bench that could really help by bringing something back in trade. That statement contradicts you other sentence.

As for Toronto, if you get Bozak plus a little something I'm all for it - no idea what that little something would be, perhaps a draft pick or solid prospect.
You're over looking depth at the position.
Any forward or defence an that goes down regardless of who it is, can be made up for much easier due to sheer numbers. Lose you're number one centre? The 2nd line centre will be a step down but not a drop off a cliff.

The fact is the Canucks make the playoffs and have shot however slim. Lose Schneider and with no Luongo its game over for 2013...

The only way you trade Luongo now is for another game proven goalie and something else...

In the off season is another story.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ukcanuck wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:

Any forward or defence an that goes down regardless of who it is, can be made up for much easier due to sheer numbers. Lose you're number one centre? The 2nd line centre will be a step down but not a drop off a cliff.

The fact is the Canucks make the playoffs and have shot however slim. Lose Schneider and with no Luongo its game over for 2013...

The only way you trade Luongo now is for another game proven goalie and something else...

In the off season is another story.
Well duh, the rule of thumb is if you are an Elite™ Team ('Hi' Don :D ) you do not normally give someone up on your player roster if you are heading into the playoffs.

The facts are we are on a 6 game winning streak. We are 3rd in our Conference, 1st in the Division. We have major injuries to our very important 2nd line yet are still qualify as a Cup Contender (yes, it is acknowledged that this is conditional of geting Kessler back healthy and hungry for the post-season run). Our only big bad rookie is injured.

Based on this it does not seem that MG will make a deal if it doesn't feel right. He's patient and no one is panicking.

Now if we were hovering in and out of 8th place it's a whole different story.

I never thought Luo thought would be traded before the season started (it never made any sense, no matter what that CoxSmoker drivels out of his puss stained fingers...)

I did think it would be a deadline deal because of the injuries and poor performances but now what can we say?!

Pluggers, All!

As an aside, how did he know Cory is so hung? :crazy:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I don't buy the rumour Luongo nixed a trade. AS far as I know he has not yet been asked to waive his NTC. These rumours are not congruent.

First you have Shannon say it's a done deal as soon as the lockout is over. He knows the players involved but won't say. No explanation why this supposed deal didn't happen since he reported it was done.

Then you have Cox say there never was a deal because the Canucks insisted on Kadri and the leaves said no. A player who had yet to show he would break out by the way.

Then you had Cox say that the Canucks never asked for Kadri and a deal was never close.

Now you have TG saying Luongo nixed a deal over the summer.

And you have HW saying that her sources have been saying all along that Luongo has yet to be asked to waive his NTC.

Who ya gonna believe?
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Oh but your Kool Aid is the sweetest.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:I don't buy the rumour Luongo nixed a trade. AS far as I know he has not yet been asked to waive his NTC. These rumours are not congruent.

First you have Shannon say it's a done deal as soon as the lockout is over. He knows the players involved but won't say. No explanation why this supposed deal didn't happen since he reported it was done.

Then you have Cox say there never was a deal because the Canucks insisted on Kadri and the leaves said no. A player who had yet to show he would break out by the way.

Then you had Cox say that the Canucks never asked for Kadri and a deal was never close.

Now you have TG saying Luongo nixed a deal over the summer.

And you have HW saying that her sources have been saying all along that Luongo has yet to be asked to waive his NTC.

Who ya gonna believe?
Rumours phhhhht, that worked well with the Iggy pop trade :look:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Diehard1 wrote: As for Toronto, if you get Bozak plus a little something I'm all for it - no idea what that little something would be, perhaps a draft pick or solid prospect.
Obviously, yes, that's worth discussing. I'm responding to your earlier quote:
Gillis should take the best offer on the table, whatever it might be, and move him while getting a decent backup for injury cover in return. Don't need this distraction during the playoffs, wondering who might start the next game if Schneids looks shakey one game (and he will, goalies always do).

If "whatever it might be" is a bag of pucks, should we move Lou for a bag of pucks? I would say no.... we can do that in the off season.

I'm with uk.... you trade Lou (and other assets as required) now IF the net return is
1. a backup goalie
2. and something else that helps us now (ie: better than the other assets that we gave up in addition to Lou, if any).

If MG can't get those things, then there is NO point in trading Lou now. I'd rather have Lou sitting on the bench than Matt Climie, all other things being equal.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote:
I fully anticipate Tallon giving up the opportunity to draft Jones, McKinnon, Drouin, Barkov etc for a 34 year old Luongo.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
I fully anticipate Tallon giving up the opportunity to draft Jones, McKinnon, Drouin, Barkov etc for a 34 year old Luongo.
Don't be so negative nancy boy, who knows what Tallon will do. He might decide that the Edmonton model of not trading draft picks and keeping a stable full of youngsters with no veteran presence is not the best way to go...

You totally underestimate luongo's worth and you buy into Burkes kool aid over Luongo's contract way too easily... Either that or you want to be right so bad you are willing to throw away the truth like a used Big Mac box
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

]
darren wrote:

As for Toronto, if you get Bozak plus a little something I'm all for it - no idea what that little something would be, perhaps a draft pick or solid prospect.[/quote]

In the off season is another story.[/quote]

This is why you get a goalie in return. And I completely disagree about losing your number 1 center and being ok - this team loses Henrik and they are finished, done, no chance at all.