What would you do at the deadline if you were Gillis?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: What would you do at the deadline if you were Gillis?

Post by herb »

Mëds wrote:I'm really not us what the attraction is to go play for the Rangers. They always load up and the fail.
Same with the Canucks... :lol:

Clowe does have a full NTC, I believe, so yes he does get to dictate where he goes.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

herb wrote:
Mëds wrote:I'm really not us what the attraction is to go play for the Rangers. They always load up and the fail.

Clowe does have a full NTC, I believe, so yes he does get to dictate where he goes.
Vancouver has never loaded up at the deadline before.....just failed.

Just once I'd like to see a GM in Van go "all-in" for a change.

And by all-in I don't mean Weinrich and Sopel.....give up what it takes to put the team over the top.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Mëds wrote:
Not sure if this is the year for that. The last few years? Hell yeah!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Cornuck wrote:
Mëds wrote:
David Pollak ‏@PollakOnSharks
Hearing that conversation between #SJSharks GM Wilson and Clowe hasn't taken place yet, but, yes, deal is otherwise in place.
Hopefully Clowe just says NO to the Rangers like Iginla to the Bruins...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Mëds wrote:
herb wrote:

Vancouver has never loaded up at the deadline before.....just failed.

And by all-in I don't mean Weinrich and Sopel.....give up what it takes to put the team over the top.
Well, he already said they are so get your thumb outta yer ass and pay attention :evil:
Asst. GM Laurence Gilman says Canucks are "all-in" and looking to make more moves.
I imagine Luo is in full play so the player coming back will have to be playoff impact.

Dreger just said that the Roy deal gives the 'Nucks the leg up with Roberto. I agree.

Nonis is back begging :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Next... :evil:
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Ryane Clowe has told the Sharks he's waiving his NTC to go to the New York Rangers. Sharks need to complete deal now
@KatieStrangESPN #NYR Can confirm that Clowe was ultimately given choice between VAN & NYR. Chose Rangers
Can MG fire AV now? :lol:
Last edited by Jovocop on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

^ Fair enough Mëds, just that this season doesn't feel *right* to me. That swagger this core group used to have is gone.

Not sure what it is. Maybe it's just because the 2011 team was so damn good my expectations got too high, but something seems off with this bunch. The IR list surely has something to do with it. Having two NHL centres has dragged the forward group down.

The fact that most deadline rentals don't work in terms of the acquiring team actually winning the cup, combined with this group seeming off makes going "all in" seem like a big gamble. I do think an injection of two or three BAMFs like Clowe would help this group get it's swagger back, however.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Jovocop wrote:Next... :evil:
Ryane Clowe has told the Sharks he's waiving his NTC to go to the New York Rangers. Sharks need to complete deal now
Damn, I guess he didn't like Alain that much after all :( ...where's that Fire AV thread?! :)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

herb wrote:^ Fair enough Mëds, just that this season doesn't feel *right* to me. That swagger this core group used to have is gone.

Not sure what it is. Maybe it's just because the 2011 team was so damn good my expectations got too high, but something seems off with this bunch. The IR list surely has something to do with it. Having two NHL centres has dragged the forward group down.

The fact that most deadline rentals don't work in terms of the acquiring team actually winning the cup, combined with this group seeming off makes going "all in" seem like a big gamble. I do think an injection of two or three BAMFs like Clowe would help this group get it's swagger back, however.
The swagger is what got them into trouble in the first place. They thought being First overall and all those allocades and trophies were great but all it really did was put a big target on their back.

I would rather we are under the radar, underdogs, media darlings, fan redemption favourites 8-)

Pluggers! All!
Last edited by Arachnid on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Arachnid wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Next... :evil:
Damn, I guess he didn't like Alain that much after all :( ...where's that Fire AV thread?! :)
No kidding... So much for loving to play for AV again... BS...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote:
Mëds wrote:
It is, but only IF....

The lineup is healthy for the playoffs.

Gillis has an off-season deal in place that gets some futures in exchange for Lou or a deadline deal that brings back a top 4 RH dman and a serviceable backup goaltender.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Well that's that. No other names out there that I want to see MG sell futures for....
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Arachnid wrote:Well, he already said they are so get your thumb outta yer ass and pay attention :evil:
Asst. GM Laurence Gilman says Canucks are "all-in" and looking to make more moves.
I imagine Luo is in full play so the player coming back will have to be playoff impact.

Dreger just said that the Roy deal gives the 'Nucks the leg up with Roberto. I agree.

Luongo to Toronto is the story that just won't go away!

I'm wondering if Toronto is serious in considering Kiprusoff, or if they are using him as a bargaining chip? Has Kipper not made it pretty damn clear he doesn't want to move?

If the Roy trade gives Gillis some leverage in getting Luongo to Toronto, fantastic. I agree that it takes a ton of pressure off Gillis to trade Luongo for Bozak +.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Arachnid wrote:The swagger is what got them into trouble in the first place. They thought being First overall and all those allocades and trophies were great but all it really did was put a big target on their back.

I would rather we are under the radar, underdogs, media darlings, fan redemption favourites 8-)

Pluggers! All!
I don't disagree, but that 2011 team was also able to win at will. This version...not so much.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

herb wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Well, he already said they are so get your thumb outta yer ass and pay attention :evil:

Luongo to Toronto is the story that just won't go away!

I'm wondering if Toronto is serious in considering Kiprusoff, or if they are using him as a bargaining chip? Has Kipper not made it pretty damn clear he doesn't want to move?

If the Roy trade gives Gillis some leverage in getting Luongo to Toronto, fantastic. I agree that it takes a ton of pressure off Gillis to trade Luongo for Bozak +.
If not Bozak then who?

I think they are trying hard with the Panthers....

Flyers are a strong possibility too. Do we want Schenn?