Has AV's time come?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Has AV's time come?

Post by Topper »

spooner wrote:A very good piece by Cam Charron:

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/3/19/in-pra ... ose-models
LOL

Coles notes, the team may suck, but their smoke and mirror numbers are great.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

So then in the 2011 SCF Cam would say Vancouver just didn't have goaltending?

More importantly a lot of his ideas get really muddled in his over-reaching desire and quest to convince you that his way is the only way of looking at stats.

I've had a conversation with Gabe Desjardin- I asked him if he ever tried tracking what happens off of rebounds? Nope too hard but he said, "there's nothing there."

Gabe pulls his data from what is currently tracked by the NHL as does Greg Sinclair in his super shot analysis. http://www.somekindofninja.com As do all the others. Try tracking something during a game like zone entries. What makes anyone's definition of a zone entry more precise and accurate?

Where I struggle with all of this is that these 'stats' guys want to use the numbers to say what is a good hockey player or as predictors of future play. It all happens after the fact which makes sense but they rarely ever go out on a limb- GAbe did last year with his prediction the Wild would collapse on goaltending.

None of these guys said that about the Blues- oh wait. What about the Sens this year? So all they have been able to do is predict goaltending regression. Thomas Drance has done an admiarably job of predicting goal scoring totals for the CAncuks but that's about it.

The problem is these guy all want James' Mirtle's job, or Bochford's or whatever and there aren't that many around. The stats stuff gives them a purpose and a place outside of what is already there. Funny thing is, it's like the new trade rumours from 2005. Smoke and Mirrors as Topper said.

I'll look forward when to when NHL teams use this: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/906 ... revolution
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

What I found funny in the links Waffle posted the other day is that some of these folks are now realizing their numbers don't work so the are manipulating them with more made up numbers failing to realize that errors are compounded in calculation.

It comes down to realizing your black box doesn't work so you use a smoke and mirrors to try and fix it.

Some of these folks math is absolutely horrendous. Cam stands out in this regard.

I wish the few who use these numbers as a predictor would use them in the correct way, the most common thing I see is they predict to an average rather than to a trend line. That is either a poor understanding of stats or flat out laziness.

My problems with Corsi and Fenwick are mainly that they both fall apart at the edges of data and that they rank all shot equally.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/03/1 ... ngs-right/

How about the 1972 Summit Series as an "aha" moment when we all realized quality shots are more important than shots.

The reason these advance stats guys don't use scoring chances is because it takes much longer to generate a meaningful data population and because the population is lower, variability if higher.

I have to keep going back to the ground breaking work of Bill James showing a direct correlation between minor league stats and pro stats for baseball. When a metric for hockey does the same.........oh boy.

Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Holy shit- I just read the comments underneath and the same guys who are proponents of Corsi are saying it's a bad idea to shoot because it gives up possession. So why do you track and action that gives up possession?

Anywhooooo....

Don't even get me started on 'scoring' chances. It's a shit-show of complete and total ambiguity.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/03/1 ... ngs-right/

This is what Cam Charron told me was the definition of a scoring chance. Go scratch your head around that for a bit.

So what is a chance? Any time the puck enters that area? Or any time a shot is made from that area?

Then consider shot quality. The stats guys don't want to touch that because it doesn't mean anything. I asked David Johnson the same thing about shot quality- is a good shot for the skater not a poor shot for the goalie?

Silence

Simply put I want to know if my keeper is letting in goals scored by quality chances for the skater or if he has trouble on poor chances for the skater. Because if my goalie is getting hammered I can adjust the defense or I can then work on the trouble spots with the goalie. However, the scoring chances being tracked are more on the 'possession' determines everything slant and I just can't go that far.

It's funny in basketball rebounds are counted in terms of defensive and offensive possession- wouldn't it make sense to do the same in hockey?
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Thanks Pete.

Following a link in the comments I got to the Super Shot page for Kenendy.
http://somekindofninja.com/nhl/index.ph ... rch=Search
This is approaching what I have been saying. Now, add in missed and blocked shots (not including them is akin to only charting pitches in the strike zone at the exclusion of balls) and then have a ranking for shot quality. Contour that data and you really have something.

I know the shot quality data is not available, but it could be tracked by a teams scouting staff.

Now do this for college, major junior and the AHL and you definitely see what is happening with prospects. That is where the real value lies.

Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle »

Thanks for the links. The articles and comments are very worthwhile reading.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The milking of these numbers is exactly what is implied by POD's comments about his self named stat and the Oilers.

Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

At least Mirtle is getting to the nuts and bolts of the analytics thing.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... e10122427/

It shows that VOILA- looking at stuff in detail and tracking things based on accurate data designed for specific conclusions can work. You're just not going to get that stuff from NHL stats sheets pulled into Excel
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Does AV get Coach of the Year nods this season for managing a winning record with a ramshackle, stale line-up that his useless superior - Mike 'Snoozey' Gillis put in place for him?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

RoyalDude wrote:Does AV get Coach of the Year nods this season for managing a winning record with a ramshackle, stale line-up that his useless superior - Mike 'Snoozey' Gillis put in place for him?
If it looks like a troll and posts like a troll...

You are seriously boring.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BingoTough wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Does AV get Coach of the Year nods this season for managing a winning record with a ramshackle, stale line-up that his useless superior - Mike 'Snoozey' Gillis put in place for him?
If it looks like a troll and posts like a troll...
Ad Hominem Alert!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

hmm so we blame the coach for the lousy production of the PP?? ( thought that was Newell Browns job? ) .. or
maybe we blame him for the lousy production of the #1 line?? ( Sedin's production is declining maybe because of aging and maybe because they are "One Trick Ponies" and unable to change the way they play? )
So lets examine with something other than rose collored glasses exactly what AV has to work with ( Yeah the Dude has a point )..
a #1 line that is producing at about 1/2 what it used to...
No #2 line.. Booth, Kesler both out..
So our goal production is coming from what are basically 2 #3 lines..
Our wins are dependent on winning low scoring games by playing great defensively and excellent goaltending..
AV has been coaching very well considering the talent on his team
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Tiger wrote:hmm so we blame the coach for the lousy production of the PP?? ( thought that was Newell Browns job? ) .. or
maybe we blame him for the lousy production of the #1 line?? ( Sedin's production is declining maybe because of aging and maybe because they are "One Trick Ponies" and unable to change the way they play? )
So lets examine with something other than rose collored glasses exactly what AV has to work with ( Yeah the Dude has a point )..
a #1 line that is producing at about 1/2 what it used to...
No #2 line.. Booth, Kesler both out..
So our goal production is coming from what are basically 2 #3 lines..
Our wins are dependent on winning low scoring games by playing great defensively and excellent goaltending..
AV has been coaching very well considering the talent on his team
Easy Big Fella, this post might put you in Troll category.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Tiger wrote:hmm so we blame the coach for the lousy production of the PP?? ( thought that was Newell Browns job? ) ..
Isn't Newell Brown part of the coaching team? AV is in charge of the overall coaching. He could force Brown to change the PP units if things don't work out. With Edler out, Garrison has performed well in the first power play unit. With Edler back on Tuesday, I am almost 100% sure that Edler will be back on the first unit even though he is not performing.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Jovocop wrote:
Tiger wrote:hmm so we blame the coach for the lousy production of the PP?? ( thought that was Newell Browns job? ) ..
Isn't Newell Brown part of the coaching team? AV is in charge of the overall coaching. He could force Brown to change the PP units if things don't work out. With Edler out, Garrison has performed well in the first power play unit. With Edler back on Tuesday, I am almost 100% sure that Edler will be back on the first unit even though he is not performing.
Last time I looked Newell Brown was a Gillis hiring...You think AV can bypass his boss Gillis ? :).. Garrison has done great but the Sedin's still suck on the PP.. Neither using Edler or Garrison will change that.. Maybe Med's suggestion of benching Daniel? But as we have no replacement forwards that seems impossible. Again , Av has done wonders the last 4 games ... Yeah if gillis wasn't a stubborn irishman Newell Brown would be gone..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice