Has AV's time come?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Has AV's time come?

Post by wafflecombine »

dbr wrote: Whoa whoa whoa.
lol... no worries DBR. Not trying to derail the thread. Just pointing out that there are a lot of house keeping issues coming up in the off-season ALONG with some of the BOLD moves being talked about in this thread.

I am concerned with the current level of play by the Canucks but I am still unsure if its a coach/GM issue as advocated by some here or if its a more garden variety loosing streak. Unfortunately, both possibilities are valid.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

vic wrote:I posted in another thread and I'll post here too...

Yes, AV's time has come and gone. I still say he should have been fired after the 2010 loss to Chicago. Had the team been able to show something in their 2nd consecutive year facing the Hawks then maybe, but they got blown out twice by the same team. The following year they almost lost again to that team after taking a 3-0 lead in the series.

The team lost 4 of their final 5 playoff games that year and duplicated that feat the 1st round the following year bowing out to LA in 5. That's 2 victories in their last 10 playoff games.

Whenever AV is asked about an injured player he always has the same answer - "that player is not on my roster right now and I'm moving forward as if he's not here at all" - after the loss to LA, AV admitted not being prepared as he thought the injured Daniel Sedin was going to be back on the ice in-time to start the playoffs.

When a coach admits to not being prepared for a playoff series after capturing the president's trophy 2 years in a row and making it to the SCF the previous year, something's wrong.

Year after year it's the injuries, travel, refs, starting goalie not performing up to expectations, back up goalie not getting enough starts, no 3rd line center, losing to the better team, blah blah blah blah blah...
+1

The Blues dumped their coach last year when they were around .500 (7-7-1 or something?) because management felt that they were not playing up to potential. Same deal here.

Just to add to Vic's post - Leaving Lu to get gassed for 8 goals against Boston and then explaining that "Lu told me he wanted to stay in" ... WTF? Who the **** do we pay to coach the team, AV or Lu?
Didn't he realized that his goalie was shitting the bed, and it was going to deflate the team for the next game?

And another snow-man on the scoreboard this year against the Wings, and Lu left to hang out to dry?
How the **** is that going to help improve Lu's trade value so we can get something decent in return? :evil:

Too bad some of the better coaches have already been snapped up, but AV has gotten stale, time for a change
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Topper wrote:
dbr wrote:Granted we are missing Kesler and now Malhotra, that's a tough situation to be in.
and KB3

Four game winless streak, fire the coach, panic trade ...... how much urine can your mattress's absorb?

3 wins in 12.... PP has reeked for over a year. Garbage effort in the playoffs, failure by the coaching staff to adjust to other teams game plans. For the record I wanted FF gone last season after that debacle in April.
If AV were to get the ax, it would not because he is a bad coach, he is an excellent one, it would for the same reason as Ruff. Shelf life, gone stale.

Newell Brown on the other hand, horribly over ratted
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Topper wrote:.
If AV were to get the ax, it would not because he is a bad coach, he is an excellent one, it would for the same reason as Ruff. Shelf life, gone stale.

Newell Brown on the other hand, horribly over ratted[/quote]

I totally agree. AV could pick his job if and when he leaves.

I dont think Gillis' job is on the line at this point. I think he gets at least 2 more seasons after this but he needs to make some moves.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
spooner
CC Veteran

Post by spooner »

Topper wrote:Four game winless streak, fire the coach, panic trade ...... how much urine can your mattress's absorb?
Indeed. It's smelling pretty sour around these parts lately.

I can only think of two occasions during Gillis' tenure that have caused this much panic.

The first was shortly after adding Sundin to the line up. I think it was about a 10 game winless streak. It was during that streak that I really gained an appreciation for both AV and Gillis. Why? Because neither of them panicked. The team came out of that streak a much better club. In my mind, that was the birth of the top-tier team that followed for the next couple years.

The second was after blowing a 3-0 series lead in the first round to Chicago two years ago. There were a lot of urine-soaked mattresses after that 6th game. I'm pretty sure the majority of Canucks fans would have fired the entire coaching staff before the 7th game and sent the team in with nobody behind the bench.

There are always going to be ups and downs in a season. The last season that the Wings won the cup, they went on a 10 game winless streak during the regular season. Babcock didn't get fired. They ended up doing okay for themselves.

Good teams go through shitty patches. Now you could argue that these Vancouver Canucks are no longer a good team. I don't agree. Time will tell. Their effort level has been poor for this recent stretch but the main issue is that their special teams have been horrible for the first 24 games and their goaltending has been average or worse for the past month. They'll turn that around and the wins will start coming.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote: If AV were to get the ax, it would not because he is a bad coach, he is an excellent one, it would for the same reason as Ruff. Shelf life, gone stale.

Newell Brown on the other hand, horribly over ratted
I agree Topper - AV is a good coach, I liked his style and his fresh post game interviews.

But he is stale and maybe it is time for him to go.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

I think we are spoiled with hockey. We have not won a Cup but everything else in sight has been done. The year the Bruins won they played like shit until the trade they made. We need to shake the club up and bring in another center but I am not bed wetting just yet. There is a ways to go AND I would be OK with missing playoffs if it gets Gillis off his ass to make some changes. We could really use a top pick right now for out future. The Sedins are good but not driven like others such as Toews, Crosby, Richards.

LA did nothing till just before the playoffs and won it all. I want to give our kids like Jensen, Archibald, Corrado and Mallet a chance. Bring up Cannouton and see if he can run the PP. Edler is useless on point and AV is way too rigid. Give the kids a chance. BTW. Where is McTavish these days?
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

^^^gotta agree. After the first line we can't score. Everyone keys on the Sedin line and if they can't break free we're sunk.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Canuck-One wrote:^^^gotta agree. After the first line we can't score. Everyone keys on the Sedin line and if they can't break free we're sunk.
The along comes tonight. Blip or trend? We'll see, but it seems there's a bit less heat on AV's neck these days. Just win, baby...
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

The Daniel situation was strike 3... Listen he is a great coach and given the situation this yr he deserves a pass but its time...
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

AV and the Canucks agreed to a two year contract extension last year, meaning he only has one year left on his deal after this season. I'm sure ownership wouldn't be too happy about having to eat the salary of the current coaching staff, but I don't think one year would be a deciding factor if Gillis thinks a change in direction is needed.

At the time, I thought two years screamed the coaching staff is on a short leash.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

paddy wrote:The Daniel situation was strike 3...
What are you referring to?
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

herb wrote:AV and the Canucks agreed to a two year contract extension last year, meaning he only has one year left on his deal after this season. I'm sure ownership wouldn't be too happy about having to eat the salary of the current coaching staff, but I don't think one year would be a deciding factor if Gillis thinks a change in direction is needed.

At the time, I thought two years screamed the coaching staff is on a short leash.
If GM MG thinks Av + staff's time is up I doubt ownership would give 2 shits about eating the salary.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

herb wrote:AV and the Canucks agreed to a two year contract extension last year, meaning he only has one year left on his deal after this season. I'm sure ownership wouldn't be too happy about having to eat the salary of the current coaching staff, but I don't think one year would be a deciding factor if Gillis thinks a change in direction is needed.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure AV still had a year left on his contract when he was given the extension.

Meaning: I think he's signed til 2015.

Having said that, if Gillis were to admit his mistake I don't think Aquaman would have TOO much of a problem.
____
Try to focus on someday.