Has AV's time come?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: Has AV's time come?

Post by donlever »

dbr wrote:No argument here. I guess if we can't beat 'em, I'm hoping we can at least soften 'em up for next round..
..what's bizarre to me is I understand down the middle has been an issue all year yet we trade for a center to deepen the position and AV puts two centers on one line leaving us weak down the middle against a team whose strength lies there?

:roll:
DeLevering since 1999.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

donlever wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: However, I do not want a sweep, fuck that, I don't give a shit. no sweeps ever...
First ever for the Sharks I believe I heard recently....
Aside from my dogmatic approach to being swept...
I would prefer that Vancouver not be the team that gets linked to that piece of trivia.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

donlever wrote: ..what's bizarre to me is I understand down the middle has been an issue all year yet we trade for a center to deepen the position and AV puts two centers on one line leaving us weak down the middle against a team whose strength lies there?
Especially after Roy and Higgins showed some chemistry together.

My lines:

Dan-Hank-Burr
Ray-Kes-Kass
Higg-Roy-Kermit
Pinner-Lappy-Weise

Simply switch Kes and Roy if things aren`t gelling and the match-ups aren`t favourable.

Or even better, if need be swap Kass and Burr for a while.
Last edited by Aaronp18 on Tue May 07, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

ukcanuck wrote: I would prefer that Vancouver not be the team that gets linked to that piece of trivia.
What the hell, add it to the list.

We have a beauty going with all the first this and first that for NHL players on it. It's quite a sight to behold really.

Not gonna dig it up but if one looks hard enough he can find it.

Wayne Gretzky, although he got to everyone, used us as his own personal bitch to add to his long list of records over the years of course.
DeLevering since 1999.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Especially after Roy and Higgins showed some chemistry together.
I wouldn't' know but I'll take your word for it which makes the choice all the more bizarre.

Aaronp18 wrote:
Ray-Kes-Kass
Higg-Roy-Kermit
Makes sense especially when one considers that Raymond (I'm assuming here) is gonna do pretty much fuk all n e way but is at least responsible defensively, Kassian s/b banging and crashing and going to the net and Kes pretty much runs his own show with the puck out there regardless.

So what does Ryan need Roy for?
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

donlever wrote: So what does Ryan need Roy for?
I dunno?

Moral support?
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Raymond, Roy and the Sedins....

All in competition to captain the HMCS Useless through another short playoff run.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

donlever wrote:..what's bizarre to me is I understand down the middle has been an issue all year yet we trade for a center to deepen the position and AV puts two centers on one line leaving us weak down the middle against a team whose strength lies there?

:roll:
LOL that was my favourite coaching move this season.

Everyone: Yay! Kesler is back! Finally we have four NHL calibre centres!

AV: I'm goin to play Kesler on the wing with Derek Roy playing centre even though Kesler is one of the best two way centres in the game. Andrew Ebbett will now be the third line centre, even though he has failed in that role in numerous attempts this season.

:(
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

AV is a good coach but his sometimes-bizarre lineup decisions and his blatant favouritism towards certain players have run their course and I think he''s lost the team.

That being said, we have an absolute pussy of a captain who in no way leads by example and I think he and his brother deserve a healthy share of the criticism as well.

Edler and Bieksa have been goddawful together and yet AV refuses to reunite Hammer with Juice in the pairing that took us to the Final two seasons ago.

Higgins is real mystery to me, you'd think his strong board play, physical strength and two-way game would lead to playoff success, but he's really never brought it here in the postseason.

Yeah, it's almost like a perfect storm of bad luck, shitty play and biased referreeing this year.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote:That being said, we have an absolute pussy of a captain who in no way leads by example and I think he and his brother deserve a healthy share of the criticism as well.
Huge share. One wear's a 'C' and the other wears an 'A'.

They want to be here. They want to be the team leaders. They want to be the faces of the franchise. They want to win a Cup here in Vancouver.

They talk every year about needing to be better, but when push comes to shove, when the games really count, do they elevate their game? Have we ever seen either of these guys have a truly dominant playoff performance? We know they're capable of elevating their game (see Henrik earlier this year vs LA), but it just does not happen often enough in the playoffs for them to carry this team.

This series has been a truly gutless series from Hank and Dank. Very Naslund-esque.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

herb wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:That being said, we have an absolute pussy of a captain who in no way leads by example and I think he and his brother deserve a healthy share of the criticism as well.
Huge share. One wear's a 'C' and the other wears an 'A'.

They want to be here. They want to be the team leaders. They want to be the faces of the franchise. They want to win a Cup here in Vancouver.

They talk every year about needing to be better, but when push comes to shove, when the games really count, do they elevate their game? Have we ever seen either of these guys have a truly dominant playoff performance? We know they're capable of elevating their game (see Henrik earlier this year vs LA), but it just does not happen often enough in the playoffs for them to carry this team.

This series has been a truly gutless series from Hank and Dank. Very Naslund-esque.
It really seems like they don't give a fuck since being literally bitchslapped by the Bruins. They have utterly failed to adapt their game in the playoffs and play more of a North American style the way other "soft" Euros like Zetterberg and Datsyuk have. I'm not expecting them to be nasty, I'm just expecting them to compete harder and that means at least some physicality and emotion.

In other hilarious news, the NHL has responded to our officiating concerns by appointing the esteemed Kelly Sutherland as our referee for tonight's game.

Pretty sure he hasn't worked a Canucks game since he gave AV a last minute penalty for talking.

Sometimes you just gotta laugh. We are getting railroaded right the fuck out of the playoffs.

Again.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Sometimes you just gotta laugh. We are getting railroaded right the fuck out of the playoffs.

Again.
Yeah, but a west coast US team won the Cup last year. You figure that the league would let us out of the first round this time, right?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote:It really seems like they don't give a fuck since being literally bitchslapped by the Bruins. They have utterly failed to adapt their game in the playoffs and play more of a North American style the way other "soft" Euros like Zetterberg and Datsyuk have. I'm not expecting them to be nasty, I'm just expecting them to compete harder and that means at least some physicality and emotion.
AV likes to talk about "the process" and "playing the right way". The Sedins have a good "process" and they "play the right way" most nights, even in the playoffs, but when you're in the playoffs and playing against pretty evenly matched competition talent wise, you need to be better in other ways. They're not playing the Flames. They can't rely on a good "process" to win. They need to want it and take it.

At this time of year, they need to be playing their sacks off. There's no reason to conserve energy, or hold back. I don't doubt that they want to win, I just seriously doubt their process.

I just want to see a higher compete level. It's totally fine that they're not overly physical, huge, crash and bang guys, but they are just so conservative out there. It's like they don't want to take shots because they're giving up possession. When they're down 1-0 or 2-0 in a playoff series, I expect players to come out looking desperate and playing with a very high level of urgency. I can't say I have seen that from these players.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

herb wrote: I just want to see a higher compete level. It's totally fine that they're not overly physical, huge, crash and bang guys, but they are just so conservative out there. It's like they don't want to take shots because they're giving up possession. When they're down 1-0 or 2-0 in a playoff series, I expect players to come out looking desperate and playing with a very high level of urgency. I can't say I have seen that from these players.
In no way questioning their try, guts, desire, care, toughness et cetera.

I THINK they want it.

I just no longer (again I haven't seen any play this year so this is qualified as to history and current word of mouth) THINK that they have the chutzpah to git er done in NHL post season play.

For whatever reason.

The HanknDank.

Built for some high performance summertime highway driving.

Once you get it off road or into bad weather.

It just doesn't quite get you there.

Unfortunately.
DeLevering since 1999.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

donlever wrote:In no way questioning their try, guts, desire, care, toughness et cetera.
LOL, really? Why the hell not?

The rest of the league sure is.