what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 12317
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Post by Topper »

Do you believe AV and GMMG operate in independent vacuums? Do you believe that GMMG speaks to AV through the media?

Or do you believe GMMG was making a general comment about the Cuncks play of late? A team that is used to imposing its will on the game and making opponents react that now, through injuries and whatever else must react to the game opponents play against them.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3924
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Post by ukcanuck »

Ummm...I'm gonna go with the latter?

Must be warmer than usual over there on the left coast... at least for NHL execs and coaches...
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:43 am

Re: what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Holland and Babcock are in a very simular situation to Gillis and Vigneault.

The Wings just lost to Columbus twice and Calgary. They've lost 6 of 7 games games this year to Columbus, Calgary and Minnesota. They have 12 goals in their last 8 games and have scored one powerplay goal on the road all season.

Holland hasn't addressed positional needs since last summer and Babcock can't coax goals from a team battling injuries.
User avatar
herb
CC Legend
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Post by herb »

I personally very much underestimated the impact the Bieksa injury would have on this team. Getting Juice back soon will be huge to getting "the ship on course".
User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2930
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Post by Aaronp18 »

herb wrote:I personally very much underestimated the impact the Bieksa injury would have on this team. Getting Juice back soon will be huge to getting "the ship on course".
How about tonight?

:thumbs:
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16152
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:Do you believe AV and GMMG operate in independent vacuums? Do you believe that GMMG speaks to AV through the media?

Or do you believe GMMG was making a general comment about the Cuncks play of late? A team that is used to imposing its will on the game and making opponents react that now, through injuries and whatever else must react to the game opponents play against them.

Topper I think this is bang on. When we were elite, a contender, other teams had to adapt to play with us. Now we are no longer in that status, for whatever reasons, we must learn to adapt more. It is the nature of the beast. If and when we regain that elite status, that momentum, then we can let others come to us but for now we need to learn to play to others strengths and win ugly.

Is this a product of coaching or is this a product of players doing the same things over and over hoping for a different result? Maybe both.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
herb
CC Legend
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Post by herb »

Aaronp18 wrote:
herb wrote:I personally very much underestimated the impact the Bieksa injury would have on this team. Getting Juice back soon will be huge to getting "the ship on course".
How about tonight?

:thumbs:
Perfect!
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 20694
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Topper wrote:Do you believe AV and GMMG operate in independent vacuums? Do you believe that GMMG speaks to AV through the media?

Or do you believe GMMG was making a general comment about the Cuncks play of late? A team that is used to imposing its will on the game and making opponents react that now, through injuries and whatever else must react to the game opponents play against them.
Says a lot about the depth.... or lack thereof doesn't it ?
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
User avatar
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Post by vic »

When good players on others teams come to the Canucks and under-perform (Ballard, Booth, Garrison) and the Canucks depth and role players go onto other teams to have career years (Hodgson and Grabner) it tells me the coaching staff can't get the best out of their players.

Ballard is a great skater, one of the best when it comes to blueliners in the league, this strength and asset is not used.

Booth is also a great skater, instead of using that speed and driving to the net, he's afraid of getting benched for not being defensily responsible.

Garrison's got a howser of a shot but needs a set up man (Campbell), the Canucks have one of the best in Henrik, but Garrison doesn't play the point on a pathetic PP when Henrik's on the ice.

AV wouldn't know what to do with a Vanek or Ribero.
User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 13247
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Post by The Brown Wizard »

LeBrun saying Gillis has been burning up the phone lines looking for a Center...Apparently Ott was one he was pretty interested in and Roy in Dallas was another. Don't ask for a link
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
User avatar
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1442
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Topper wrote:Do you believe AV and GMMG operate in independent vacuums? Do you believe that GMMG speaks to AV through the media?

Or do you believe GMMG was making a general comment about the Cuncks play of late? A team that is used to imposing its will on the game and making opponents react that now, through injuries and whatever else must react to the game opponents play against them.

Topper I think this is bang on. When we were elite, a contender, other teams had to adapt to play with us. Now we are no longer in that status, for whatever reasons, we must learn to adapt more. It is the nature of the beast. If and when we regain that elite status, that momentum, then we can let others come to us but for now we need to learn to play to others strengths and win ugly.

Is this a product of coaching or is this a product of players doing the same things over and over hoping for a different result? Maybe both.
Definitely agree, HW, although I would project that line of reasoning to certain portions of the previous seasons (i.e. the team was so used to winning and dominating that when it played against teams it couldn't have it's way with, it was unable to adapt). And I would argue that such problem has been, at least in part, a coaching problem (i.e. inability or unwillingness to adapt strategy - other than playing musical chairs with the lines, of course).
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
User avatar
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1442
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Mondi wrote:Simmer down.

No team has won more games over the last two seasons, it's not as if AV isn't an NHL coach.

The problem is the forwards. That points to GMMG.
The problem is at least, in part, due to utilization of the forwards. That points to the coach.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
User avatar
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1442
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Post by DonCherry4PM »

vic wrote:When good players on others teams come to the Canucks and under-perform (Ballard, Booth, Garrison) and the Canucks depth and role players go onto other teams to have career years (Hodgson and Grabner) it tells me the coaching staff can't get the best out of their players.

Ballard is a great skater, one of the best when it comes to blueliners in the league, this strength and asset is not used.

Booth is also a great skater, instead of using that speed and driving to the net, he's afraid of getting benched for not being defensily responsible.

Garrison's got a howser of a shot but needs a set up man (Campbell), the Canucks have one of the best in Henrik, but Garrison doesn't play the point on a pathetic PP when Henrik's on the ice.

AV wouldn't know what to do with a Vanek or Ribero.
+1
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
User avatar
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Post by vic »

Mondi wrote:Simmer down.

No team has won more games over the last two seasons, it's not as if AV isn't an NHL coach.

The problem is the forwards. That points to GMMG.
GMMG assembled the group that has won more games than any other team over the past two years, and he's the problem. Gillis's signings, re-signings , and trades have giving the Canucks possibly the best lineup in their history for the past two years and he hasn't done enough.

Genius.

Gillis resigned a coach who cannot and will not get it done. What a waste of talent on the ice.
User avatar
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:09 pm
Contact:

Re: what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Post by Tiger »

vic said:
GMMG assembled the group that has won more games than any other team over the past two years, and he's the problem. Gillis's signings, re-signings , and trades have giving the Canucks possibly the best lineup in their history for the past two years and he hasn't done enough.
MG didn't sign any of the core players - Sedins,Kessler,Hansen,Raymond.. and has done little to strengthen the team.Yep resigning ok. This team has been in decline since over a year ago and needed an infusion of talent.. Yeah Ballards got speed .. Just is useless defensively and brings nothing as a goal scorer..The Canucks were at the top of there game in 2011 but the Sedin's are aging and Kessler has not returned to form after injuries..We are short 2 Centers, haven't made any good trades since he came on board and many very questionable signings...AV can only coach the players he gets and MG hasn't given him much.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Post Reply