what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Post by KeyserSoze »

BingoTough wrote: I wonder what our record is since the famous Boston game?
...they did win the Prez the following year.

1. Pens have 152 pts in 112 games
2. Hawks have 150 pts in 110 games
3. Canucks & Bruins both have 143 pts in 109 games
5. Blues have 143 pts in 110 games
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

KeyserSoze wrote:

1. Pens have 152 pts in 112 games
2. Hawks have 150 pts in 110 games
3. Canucks & Bruins both have 143 pts in 109 games
5. Blues have 143 pts in 110 games
Quiet you :p

I mean since the Boston game last Jan/Feb after which they supposedly lost interest. It certainly wasn't as good but probably not as good as prior.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I guess if there's a bright side to sucking this year it's that this upcoming draft is supposed to be one of those unusually deep classes like 2003.
I would say trying to get a horse in the top 3-6 picks would be the goal in addition to keeping our own first rounder.

So what carrots do we currently have worthy of this jewel? I cant see Luongo fetching a top pick...no way. Not even CS will bring that one back. Edler? Probably...but that's giving up alot.

How about flushing our UFA's and dressing a squad of CHI Wolves rejects(oh wait...already there :wink: )? Go the way of the Coiler? 29+ min/game for Ballard, Alberts and Barker? Break up the Sedins and alternate them with Tostito, Lapierre and Weise....

Honestly, at this point I could accept this game plan if it was clearly the goal. The organization desperately needs an infusion of youth like a McKinnon, Drouin or Jones.
If you need air...call it in
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Well if it is as deep as 2003 we shouldn't be too concerned about where we draft, but we should ensure we keep our picks and try to add a few more if possible.

2003 draft results if going by today's standings:

Flordia..........MA Fleury
Colorado........Eric Staal
Buffalo..........Horton
Washington....Zherdev
Calgary.........Vanek
Philly............Michalek
Tampa..........Ryan Suter
Columbus.......Coburn
Nashville........Phaneuf
Edmonton.......Kostitsyn
Islanders........Jeff Carter
Dallas............Jessiman
Phoenix..........Dustin Brown
San Jose.........Seabrook
Columbus (Rangers)....Nilsson
Jersey..............Steve Bernier
Winnipeg..........Parise
Toronto............Eric Fehr
Vancouver.........Ryan Getzlaf
Carolina.............Brent Burns
Detroit.............Mark Stuart
Minny..............Pouliot
St Louis...........Kesler
Columbus (LA)....Richards
Ottawa............Anthony Stewart
Boston............Brian Boyle
Montreal.........Jeff Tambellini
Pittsburgh.......Corey Perry
Anaheim.........Patrick Eaves
Chicago..........Shawn Belle

Can't help but see Columbus with 3 first round draft picks this year. Also can't help but see how those same three picks (Coburn, Nilsson, Richards) in 03 might not turn them around.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Can't help but see Columbus with 3 first round draft picks this year. Also can't help but see how those same three picks (Coburn, Nilsson, Richards) in 03 might not turn them around.
The GM who picked for them in 03 is now blowing hot air on sportsnet, the guy making picks this year has a long track record of excellent drafting (with St Louis and Ottawa) over the last decade or so.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

KeyserSoze wrote:
No they didn't. They won the Presidents Trophy that same season. ;)

For the record they floundered their way into it and went from looking like a lock for it for the second straight year to needing the Rangers to lose their last game in order to guarantee it for them.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Mëds wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:
No they didn't. They won the Presidents Trophy that same season. ;)

For the record they floundered their way into it and went from looking like a lock for it for the second straight year to needing the Rangers to lose their last game in order to guarantee it for them.
Irritatingly I just looked up their record last season and the numbers say we're wrong about the canucks after the Boston game. The boston game fell on the midpoint, game 42.

Before the boston game the canucks lost 13 outright with two ot/SOL.
After the boston game the canucks lost 9 outright and 6 OT/SOL.

They actually performed better in the latter half. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80 ... r_season_2

Now, I'm not going to go through those games one by one and look at the box score. I certainly remember thinking we weren't doing so well.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

It wasn't us who said the Boston game, it was GMMG in his post season address.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

There's no denying their play dropped after that Boston game in January - it's just that the goalies (both 1 & 35) bailed them out of games they had no business winning in February and March. So their record was deceiving. I think we can all agree we were shocked they backed into the President's Trophy position last year. St. Louis' lame end to the season and the NYR sputter helped them in that regard. I think with 5 games remaining there was a slim chance they took the #1 spot, but in the end they did.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Maybe they can make another trade with Buffalo, look's like they are definitely going to be sellers...

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

vic wrote:Maybe they can make another trade with Buffalo, look's like they are definitely going to be sellers...

Tyler Myers is on sale too? Wow, MG should definitely give them a call. :lol:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Jovocop wrote:
vic wrote:Maybe they can make another trade with Buffalo, look's like they are definitely going to be sellers...

Tyler Myers is on sale too? Wow, MG should definitely give them a call. :lol:
Everyone but CoHo? He's a franchise playa don't yah know?!

I gotta watch the Buffalo feeds more often that commercial is awesome (Canucks would probably do one about deporting illegal goalies.... 8-) ).
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Jovocop wrote: Tyler Myers is on sale too? Wow, MG should definitely give them a call. :lol:
In all seriousness, The Sabres may be shopping their big names and starting a re-build. I've read and heard on the various sports shows on the radio and TV that the team may look at shopping Vanek, Miller & Pomminville to get some new pieces back along with a high draft pick this year and start the whole thing over.

How about

Edler + Schneider for Vanek + Myers + Regehr

They have Ehroff signed until the end of time with experience playing along side Edler in Vancouver. Shopping Miller, they need a new #1 and Cory's a perfect fit for that role. Luongo probably doesn't waive his NTC to go to a rebuilding team.

Canucks get back a top 6 sniper who can also pass the puck + a big young RHS d-man who has nothing but upside. Reghr would be considered a rental, another big d-man who can log a lot of minutes and rough it up when needed.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

vic wrote:
Jovocop wrote: Tyler Myers is on sale too? Wow, MG should definitely give them a call. :lol:
In all seriousness, The Sabres may be shopping their big names and starting a re-build. I've read and heard on the various sports shows on the radio and TV that the team may look at shopping Vanek, Miller & Pomminville to get some new pieces back along with a high draft pick this year and start the whole thing over.

How about

Edler + Schneider for Vanek + Myers + Regehr

They have Ehroff signed until the end of time with experience playing along side Edler in Vancouver. Shopping Miller, they need a new #1 and Cory's a perfect fit for that role. Luongo probably doesn't waive his NTC to go to a rebuilding team.

Canucks get back a top 6 sniper who can also pass the puck + a big young RHS d-man who has nothing but upside. Reghr would be considered a rental, another big d-man who can log a lot of minutes and rough it up when needed.
Sure, let's lose some future goaltending talent and replace it with an old rental and one of the slowest skaters in the game in Regehr. Add a pair of big salaries in Vanek and Myers, both of whom are as inconsistent as Edler.

Good move. :roll:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Buffalo has a back up already they think is a number one. I doubt they sell the farm for another goalie.

But didn't Tampa's number one just go down with a high ankle sprain? Wonder how they feel trying to finish the season with garron.
The only HW the Canucks need