what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: what has to happen to get the ship on course?

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mondi wrote:Would the Rangers consider Booth + (significant piece) + (draft pick) for Gaborik?

I'd do it. Bold moves.
We need a centre, Booth for Dubinsky is a possibility. Same age, same salaries (Dubinsky $4.2 million) although Dubinsky's contract expires after next season where as after this Booth has two more seasons left on his. We could toss in Rodin or Connauton.

The BJ's have loads of centres, Umberger, Asiminov, Brassard, Johanson, Mackenzie...
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I dunno if it's quite that simple. I think the player's situation has alot to do with his performance. When booth and ballard were on poorer teams, they were the top players there and given more minutes/responsibilites, thus they were able to produce more. On a better team like vancouver, their role and minutes are decreased significantly, thus they can't produce the way they did before.

For young players, it's a different ball of wax. Lots of times, the player is just learning the ropes for the NHL. Some are ready to contribute right away, some take time to develop. I would say for both Coho and Machine Gun Grabner, they both benefited alot by the way the Canucks slowly brought them along. Even when they were playing in Vancouver, they were both showing signs that they could be good NHL players. Coho had a great start with us last year, scored some big goals (ie - that boston goal) and was a good secondary threat for us. I think Grabs scored a hat trick for us on 1 of our west coast road trips. They were also both showing signs that they were not quite ready for the NHL (ie - consistency, defensive coverage, etc). The canucks have a lot of depth, so they have the luxery to slowly bring these players along and put them on the 4th line or the press box when they not playing well. Coho and Grabs have played very well almost instantly with their new teams and I think the way the Canucks developed them has benefited them alot.
vic wrote:When good players on others teams come to the Canucks and under-perform (Ballard, Booth, Garrison) and the Canucks depth and role players go onto other teams to have career years (Hodgson and Grabner) it tells me the coaching staff can't get the best out of their players.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mondi wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Mondi wrote:Would the Rangers consider Booth + (significant piece) + (draft pick) for Gaborik?

I'd do it. Bold moves.
We need a centre, Booth for Dubinsky is a possibility. Same age, same salaries (Dubinsky $4.2 million) although Dubinsky's contract expires after next season where as after this Booth has two more seasons left on his. We could toss in Rodin or Connauton.

The BJ's have loads of centres, Umberger, Asiminov, Brassard, Johanson, Mackenzie...
Yeah we do need a centre, but I'm not going to go forward counting Kesler out. He's too important to the team.

I may be dreaming but something like...

Burrows Sedin Sedin
Gaborik Kesler Kassian
Hansen Lapierre Higgins
Weise (Plug Centre) Tostitos

...might work.

Gives us a legit 2nd unit PP. And I think its easier to find a 4L centre for a draft pick or prospect than it is to get a 2L or 3L centre. Particularly if you can get a 2L winger.

And, in a good season Raymond and Booth could outscore Gaborik. The Rangers might actually have to consider it.
Gaborik still has one more year left on his current $7.5m contract. I am not sure how MG could fit him under the cap next year. The Canucks desperately need a 3rd line center, not another soft and oft-injured winger.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Now lemmee get this straight Mondi, RD.

The 2 who spew nothing but vile towards Booth figure by adding a spare part he'd bring back Gaborik or Dubinsky?? :shock:

Image Image Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

how's this for a Booth trade?

booth
for
Sam Gagner

The Oil are desperately in need of some grittier bigger bodies to play with their young guns. I think Booth will find his 30 goal form again if he plays with a guy like Nuge. Plus, they'll luv Booth in the bible belt. :lol:

Gagner is going to be a UFA, so the Oil will probably want to move him and get something in return if they don't make the playoffs. Gagner would really help us down the middle and maybe he'll take a hometown discount to be in the same organization as his ol man. :D
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: The Oil are desperately in need of some grittier bigger bodies to play with their young guns. I think Booth will find his 30 goal form again if he plays with a guy like Nuge. Plus, they'll luv Booth in the bible belt. :lol:
...and polar bears will become extinct.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Gagner is going to be a UFA
Gagner is going to be an RFA.

We won't be getting young Gagner for Booth.
____
Try to focus on someday.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
vic wrote:When good players on others teams come to the Canucks and under-perform (Ballard, Booth, Garrison) and the Canucks depth and role players go onto other teams to have career years (Hodgson and Grabner) it tells me the coaching staff can't get the best out of their players.
I dunno if it's quite that simple. I think the player's situation has alot to do with his performance. When booth and ballard were on poorer teams, they were the top players there and given more minutes/responsibilites, thus they were able to produce more. On a better team like vancouver, their role and minutes are decreased significantly, thus they can't produce the way they did before.

For young players, it's a different ball of wax. Lots of times, the player is just learning the ropes for the NHL. Some are ready to contribute right away, some take time to develop. I would say for both Coho and Machine Gun Grabner, they both benefited alot by the way the Canucks slowly brought them along. Even when they were playing in Vancouver, they were both showing signs that they could be good NHL players. Coho had a great start with us last year, scored some big goals (ie - that boston goal) and was a good secondary threat for us. I think Grabs scored a hat trick for us on 1 of our west coast road trips. They were also both showing signs that they were not quite ready for the NHL (ie - consistency, defensive coverage, etc). The canucks have a lot of depth, so they have the luxery to slowly bring these players along and put them on the 4th line or the press box when they not playing well. Coho and Grabs have played very well almost instantly with their new teams and I think the way the Canucks developed them has benefited them alot.
So it is a simple argument to pose that AV can't get enough out of his players but it isn't simple to argue that AV develops his players well so they will succeed when they go to other teams? Not really sure I follow that. I don't really think either is a simple argument. Both come from a bias. Those of us who feel AV has some big warts seem to lean toward his having a little more accountability for certain player's under-utilization or underdevelopment. Those of us who feel AV has very few warts seem to lean toward the view that the same player's under-utilization or underdevelopment is more due to said player's lack of skill, heart or ability to rise in the moment of opportunity. While I do agree that players have a large part of the responsibility in their own rise and fall, I also feel that a coach has a significant amount of influence upon this, and, in AV's case, I believe this has been to the detriment of certain players' development.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

If PHI is out of the playoff picture, currently 11th and 5 points back of 8th, wonder if they become sellers...Briere?

Playoff machine, skilled set up guy...cap hit is 6.5 next 2 years, but the departure of a goalie, Ballard and Manny plus possibly Booth and they can make it work.

Salary is $3 mil and $2 mil next two years so no hurting anyone's feelings by having him the highest paid F on the team.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Well, from what I gather it hasn't been a great marriage between Dubinsky and the BJ's. Trading a disappointment for another might be good for all parties involved, especially since Gillis created a debacle at the centre position here. That's why I suggested a Connauton or a Rodin as pot sweeteners. Kinda lame sweeteners but I am flexible to upgrade the pot a little to fix the debacle at centre.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote:Well, from what I gather it hasn't been a great marriage between Dubinsky and the BJ's. Trading a disappointment for another might be good for all parties involved, especially since Gillis created a debacle at the centre position here. That's why I suggested a Connauton or a Rodin as pot sweeteners. Kinda lame sweeteners but I am flexible to upgrade the pot a little to fix the debacle at centre.
If that's the case, then it may be worth looking into how to get Dubinsky outta there. It depends on where Kekalainen wants to build the team going forward. I think Gillis will have to part with one of either Raymond/Booth/Ballard and a prospect at the least to start, but that's do-able. I read somewhere that he doesn't consider himself married to any of Howson's acquisitions so it's worth Gillis getting on the phone about the guy. He could do worse. :mex:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, you're right, RFA. My bad. Was just watching one of the networks on potential guys being traded and they brought Gagner up. They said the Oil will probably try to move him to get something in return for him, so I just assumed he was UFA. Hmm... how about:

Booth and Ballard
for
Gagner?

:lol:

Strangelove wrote:Gagner is going to be an RFA.

We won't be getting young Gagner for Booth.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mondi wrote: Booth sucks, but he at least has some upside.
:cheers: :wave: :rofl: :towel: :rockin: :lol: :D awesome
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote: Booth sucks, but he at least has some upside.
:cheers: :wave: :rofl: :towel: :rockin: :lol: :D awesome
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Anyone want to bet me that 1 hour after trade deadline day MG does nothing to improve this team. At the same time trade deadline day is usually pretty stupid with GM asking high prices for scrubs. If MG wants to do something he needs to be working the phone now and not on trade deadline day.

I have accepted that in the new NHL and with parity trade deadline day is no longer exciting or does much to improve a team unless you give up a lot. Trade deadline day is more about TSN/SportsNet selling commercials.

Edit - I want to say that the reason I don't think MG can do anything on TDD is that the asking price is too high and he needs to make changes now (if he can). This is no attack on him as I said earlier he has 1 more season to do what is needed. I did believe he should of went after a C in the off season regardless of Kesler coming back or not or when since Kesler has a history of being injured and insurance was needed.