Keith Ballard

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Keith Ballard

Post by BurningBeard »

Potatoe1 wrote:And again, I think we would have been better off with Rome.

Rome's defensive game was relativity similar, he's more physical, and most importantly he can play both sides which would allow the teams top5 d-men to all pay on their natural sides.
Alright Alain, we got it. :)

I agree completely though. I wonder if the reason why Ballard is kept off the roster is not merely because Alain has an issue with him, it's some of the players as well. That would make a lot more sense than it simply being Alain's opinion of his work ethic. Completely unsubstantiated, although it wouldn't be the first time we've seen this, the team turned away Torres and O'Brien for similar reasons, did they not?
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

That would be funny if the players are the one concerned about Ballard's play as I have seen glaring mistake by the top 4 this season as well. I don't think it has anything to do with the players but that AV just does not like Ballard.

Regardless of what Alain thinks Ballard is better right now over Rome/anyone else not already in the starting rotation.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

We can talk about his stock being low and a lot of other things but my main worry is that, now the cat is out of the bag and his agent is talking with management, I don't want to see the situation sour any more and him become a cancer (real or percieved) in the lockerroom.

that doesn't help us and it certainly doesn't help him trying to find a new team.

As a "divorce" is likely imminent, lets got the no fault route and make it happen quickly.

Besides, the trade deadline has to be coming up pretty quick.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

herb wrote:http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2013/3/4 ... -continues
I do have to say this though, I have heard from a Canucks player that Keith Ballard is probably the most gifted defenceman with his offensive game and skill. The team sees it in practice but it disappears as soon as he plays in a game. You can see his skills when he rushes the puck up the ice. He has terrific speed. In Florida and Phoenix he played a bigger role in the offence.
I suspect Bowness tells Ballard to "stop it!" when Ballard starts rushing the puck up ice with confidence.
Sure he has skill, but they are the wrong skills.

Best way for defenseman to create offence is by hammering the puck on goal or making plays from the point. This is why guys like Edler, Salo and Garrison are so valuable, because they can create offence with out giving up their defensive position.

Guys who have to create off the rush or by taking the puck to the net, might post a lot of points but they are over all of less value because there is inherent risk associated with a defenseman moving off the blue line.

I have no doubt Ballard is a terrific athlete and is highly skilled in some ways, but he just isn't the type of player that contributes to a winning brand of hockey.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Not in our system anyways.

I guess at this point if Gillis can't mend fences with Ballard then the Canucks best hope is that another team out there disagrees with your assessment Pot and thinks they can get $4.2m of value - or close to it - out of Ballard over the next couple of years, because otherwise the Canucks aren't going to be able to do anything other than dump his salary (which on its own makes this team worse, contrary to what some here might believe).
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

CDC ballard in tonight...schneider starts in goal
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Stolen from CDC:

Dan Murphy ‏@sportsnetmurph
#canucks Ballard says he'd rather had limited role on a winning team than extended role on a losing team. He's been there. #canucks

Ballard is in. He spent 20 mins talking to media. Says he didn't play well enough before scratch, intends to win back spot 2nite #canucks

Sportsnet Pacific ‏@SNETPacific
Keith Ballard gets back into the lineup tonight for the #Canucks.

Sounds like Ballard is saying all the right things and does not want a trade. Wants to re-earn his spot. Hope he means it :D
Be nice to see him have a bounce back game.
The only HW the Canucks need
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

rats19 wrote:CDC ballard in tonight...schneider starts in goal
Ballard in, Barker in, Alberts out

I'm baaaaaack
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Hockey Widow wrote:Stolen from CDC:

#canucks Ballard says he'd rather had limited role on a winning team than extended role on a losing team. He's been there. #canucks

Ballard is in. He spent 20 mins talking to media. Says he didn't play well enough before scratch, intends to win back spot 2nite #canucks

Sportsnet Pacific ‏@SNETPacific
Keith Ballard gets back into the lineup tonight for the #Canucks.

Sounds like Ballard is saying all the right things and does not want a trade. Wants to re-earn his spot. Hope he means it :D

Well, this stuff doesn't allow for stimulating Tiger Beat discussion around who doesn't like who.

Ballard was brutal against Phoenix. He was really soft on, of all people, Bissonette and allowed him to dish to Chipchura for his first goal. On the Boedkker goal he was actually following a Coyote behind the net while the goal was being scored.

I am disturbed by Barker getting in tonight again.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:Sounds like Ballard is saying all the right things and does not want a trade. Wants to re-earn his spot. Hope he means it :D
Pft...well that's boring!

Where's the drama in that??? :roll:
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

herb wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Sounds like Ballard is saying all the right things and does not want a trade. Wants to re-earn his spot. Hope he means it :D
Pft...well that's boring!

Where's the drama in that??? :roll:
yah shithead will probably play good and everything..what a drag.. :wink:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Larry Goodenough wrote:
Ballard was brutal against Phoenix. He was really soft on, of all people, Bissonette and allowed him to dish to Chipchura for his first goal. On the Boedkker goal he was actually following a Coyote behind the net while the goal was being scored.

Both of those goals are on Lappy. If Ballard stays with the puck carrier it is the centre's and/or d partner's job to pick up the loose man. On the first one by Chipchura, Alberts and Lappy banged into each other which left Chipchura all alone. Bad coverage by Lappierre on the Boedker goal led to the chance and then it deflected of Max's stick.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

KeyserSoze wrote: Image
I'm baaaaaack
This is where Alain keeps him when he's not in the lineup. It's supposed to help retain freshness.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Thanx man, it was fun to take some shots back @ ya, but main thing, u shut your hole. :P

& my quotes are fine, thank u very much. :)
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Bersnoozi's drivel
Learn how the use the quote feature .

Nice little rant there buds. Not much substance but it was kinda cute. :lol:
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Ballard got benched because he wasnt playing good hockey. Bottom line.

The reason isint because AV doesnt like him. AV knows he has to win so if Ballard was one of his top 6 defenceman he would play. Av has undoubtedly lost confidence in him and there can be little doubt as to why. He was -4 in his last 2 games and admits he wasnt good.

He has no trade value. I hope we buy him out at the end of the year so we can move on with someone who is a better fit in a bottom pair role.

Ballard suffers from the Kyle Wellwood disease. He is so bad (especially when you factor in his cap hit) that whenever he does something good everyone jumps up and down with joy.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion