Why is Kassian dropped to the 4th line?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

nuckster
MVP
MVP

Why is Kassian dropped to the 4th line?

Post by nuckster »

Yeach! Watching the Canucks last night was plain...yeach. So here is just one thought I would like to put forward about it.

I don't really get it. Zack was playing well, an so were many of the other 2nd and 3rd liners, while Kesler and Booth were away. Zack was our leading scorer early on and now he's been dropped down to 4th line minutes and less. Is this a reflection of AV's way of doing things or ... what? How is a number 1 draft pick with an offensive upside supposed to develop by playing a limited role like this?

Any comments/opinions about this?
cc oldtimer
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Why is Kassian dropped to the 4th line?

Post by rats19 »

nuckster wrote:Yeach! Watching the Canucks last night was plain...yeach. So here is just one thought I would like to put forward about it.

I don't really get it. Zack was playing well, an so were many of the other 2nd and 3rd liners, while Kesler and Booth were away. Zack was our leading scorer early on and now he's been dropped down to 4th line minutes and less. Is this a reflection of AV's way of doing things or ... what? How is a number 1 draft pick with an offensive upside supposed to develop by playing a limited role like this?

put him back with the twins and drop burrows to keslers line
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

He can learn to play responsibly in his own end before being rewarded with more ice time. Just as Kesler, Burrows, Hansen and Raymond did before him.

The only guy who didn't go that route was stumpy and that was because he was having his tyres pumped in order to be dumped.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Topper wrote:He can learn to play responsibly in his own end before being rewarded with more ice time. Just as Kesler, Burrows, Hansen and Raymond did before him.

The only guy who didn't go that route was stumpy and that was because he was having his tyres pumped in order to be dumped.
Kassian was defensively fine when he was playing with confidence (alongside the Sedins). Once he was shuffled down one line per game or two, he is just not the same player.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Time honoured tradition says that if you are not producing offensively you have to be sound defensively. The past 2 games Zack has given the puck away in his own zone several times. He is young and he will learn. The twins have made many players look good over the years. One of the best reasons for Burr being with them is his solid play in his own end, where the twins are not great.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Lets reward the sophomore for his poor defensive play by giving him more ice time while demoting and taking ice time from the vet who is playing responsibly.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Topper wrote:Lets reward the sophomore for his poor defensive play by giving him more ice time while demoting and taking ice time from the vet who is playing responsibly.
Hey now, be nice. I appreciate the reasonable/sensible comments though. Thanks
cc oldtimer
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

nuckster wrote:
Topper wrote:Lets reward the sophomore for his poor defensive play by giving him more ice time while demoting and taking ice time from the vet who is playing responsibly.
Hey now, be nice. I appreciate the reasonable/sensible comments though. Thanks
that was candy coated and quite correct...imho :roll:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Did Kassian start his poor defensive play before or after he was demoted? I thought he did make good defensive plays when he was with the Sedins. He had tons of confidence and the results showed that.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Jovocop wrote: Did Kassian start his poor defensive play before or after he was demoted? I thought he did make good defensive plays when he was with the Sedins. He had tons of confidence and the results showed that.
He was playing much more responsible at the beginning of the season but I think there's a good reason for this.

We saw the younger players in the league look great and out-skate and even out-score some of the veterans who didn't play during the lockout. Kassian, and others that played, were a slight step ahead of the inactive players.

He had that extra split second to make a play. That time has disappeared now that the majority of players are up to game speed. Because of that Kassian is finding things a bit tougher out there as he doesn't have that extra second to make a decision. He now needs to get used to the normal NHL pace of play.

You can see this all over the league, the guys that normally top the scoring charts are back up there. The young guns that put up some points in the first couple weeks have tailed off substantially.

Kassian now has to work to earn his top 6 icetime. He deserved it at the beginning of the year but he's finding the NHL game speed tough to catch up to now. It will come but he needs to realize that his game needs to get better and the effort must be put in every shift.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote:Once he was shuffled down one line per game or two, he is just not the same player.
Were Jason King, Trent Klatt, Anson Carter the same player(s) after no longer riding shot gun with the Sedins? The record shows that just maybe, not saying they did, but just maybe the Sedins made Kassian look better than he actually is.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Aaronp18 wrote: He was playing much more responsible at the beginning of the season but I think there's a good reason for this.

We saw the younger players in the league look great and out-skate and even out-score some of the veterans who didn't play during the lockout. Kassian, and others that played, were a slight step ahead of the inactive players.

He had that extra split second to make a play. That time has disappeared now that the majority of players are up to game speed. Because of that Kassian is finding things a bit tougher out there as he doesn't have that extra second to make a decision. He now needs to get used to the normal NHL pace of play.

You can see this all over the league, the guys that normally top the scoring charts are back up there. The young guns that put up some points in the first couple weeks have tailed off substantially.

Kassian now has to work to earn his top 6 icetime. He deserved it at the beginning of the year but he's finding the NHL game speed tough to catch up to now. It will come but he needs to realize that his game needs to get better and the effort must be put in every shift.
THIS :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

With Kesler gone for 4-6 weeks we might yet see Kassian back with the twins as Burrows rotates throughout the line up.
The only HW the Canucks need
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:With Kesler gone for 4-6 weeks we might yet see Kassian back with the twins as Burrows rotates throughout the line up.
Yup, that's my guess as to what we will see come Saturday night. Twins with Kassian, Burr back at center on the 3rd line and the Schroeder-Raymond-Booth line taking over as the defacto 2nd line.

Might be a blessing in disguise if Kassian can get back on track. Still think another center is needed at the deadline.
Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Overtime »

nuckster wrote:Yeach! Watching the Canucks last night was plain...yeach. So here is just one thought I would like to put forward about it.

I am of the opinion that Vigneault has lost his fire as a coach. I like him but he seems far too comfortable and old school to make things happen anymore. His time as a coach imho finished last year sadly; with our team.
I hate the way he treats younger players as well. In our shortened season; especially with our injury problems and divisional lead; he should be giving way more minutes to our younger players. This is a very serious time for our team right now. They are playing like......yep