I Cannot Believe it is a Suspension Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: I Cannot Believe it is a Suspension Thread

Post by ClamRussel »

Art Vandelay wrote:
griz wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:As much as it makes me angry Edler deserves...
If you are angry, then why do you agree with the suspension BTW?

I am angry that the team will be missing its best defencemen for three games. He deserved the suspension. He targetted the head and he ripped the kids lid off. We all know the league is trying to take these hits out of the game. Too many people have the blinders on here. Edler is also a third time offender now. He needs to be taught a lesson to maybe not make these types of hits anymore.
Go see my post on the previous page. I posted several examples of headshots that didn't result in suspensions. TARGETED headshots should be taken out of the game, sometimes they just happen. Its a fast violent game. Using your logic a guy like Chara would be suspended everytime he lays out a big hit. Edler did not intend to target the head, it was a result of Hertl trying to avoid taking the hit. Edler makes no lunge whatsoever and just holds his ground.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

Alex elder just about tore Hertls head off . I am as pissed as anyone that he won't be in the lineup but the hissy fits need to stop . Brendan Shanahan and Bettman and Daly have been clear where the game is going mad headshots will not be tolerated. Not sure why you are having so much difficulty understanding the rules Clam . Your avatar is gross btw
Last edited by Art Vandelay on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Art Vandelay wrote: He could have given the kid a concussion. Then what ?
Well seeing as how Shanny has stated that injury is a factor in the length of a suspension...

I imagine Edler would've received a 40 game suspension. :hmmm:

Just kidding, it's a Kangaroo Court and Shanny is Captain Kangaroo, so who the fuck knows! :lol:

____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Art Vandelay wrote: Not sure why you are having so much difficulty understanding the rules Clam.
Yes Clam, why can't you be more like Art? :scowl:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

Strange love I t would be nice if you took things like head shots and concussions a bit more seriously
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Art Vandelay wrote:Strange love I t would be nice if you took things like head shots and concussions a bit more seriously
I'll try Arty, I really will.

Just don't ask me to take NHL supplemental discipline serious okay buds. :thumbs:

I'm thinkin, fire Shanny and replace him with Clarkie.

Let's face it, Shanny has gone goofy on us...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Art Vandelay wrote:Alex elder just about tore Hertls head off . I am as pissed as anyone that he won't be in the lineup but the hissy fits need to stop . Brendan Shanahan and Bettman and Daly have been clear where the game is going mad headshots will not be tolerated. Not sure why you are having so much difficulty understanding the rules Clam . Your avatar is gross btw
Yeah OK Artie. Your avatar is a bit much and your take is brutal to say the least. It was a clean hit.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Game 5 and 3 suspensions already.We should start a pool on how many suspensions we'll get on the season.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Benjo wrote:Game 5 and 3 suspensions already.We should start a pool on how many suspensions we'll get on the season.
Probably get suspended.... Lofl
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

I'm not going to get into the back and forth debates here, but I'm amazed at how many people saying Edler should be suspended haven't actually read the rule in question. (I read the thread on hfboards, which was a mistake, I just about had a stroke). It's 2013 folks, you can look this stuff up on the internet! :roll:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=64063
48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.
What Hertl (4 games of experience in the NHL) was doing looked like a textbook case of "putting yourself in a vulnerable position" to me. Your opinion may differ. That's what the debate should be about. Whether or not Edler hit Hertl in the head is irrelevant. Of course he did... the kid's helmet flew off.
Last edited by darren on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

The problem is that Edler really did decide to completely ignore the puck in this case. Now I'm not saying I particularly agree with the suspension, especially given the Stuart jumping up to elbow Nash suspension being the same, but Edler did have another play on that. It shouldn't have been more than 1 game.

That said, this pretty much give Taylor Hall freedom to put his head down along the boards and the D-man can't stand him up from straight on. So they have to go with the defensively dangerous play of letting Hall slip by a bit so they can hit him in the side or simply let him skate. Which sucks.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

I saw a relatively clean hit that was made much worse by Hertl's reaching for the puck. Edler lowers his elbow and his shoulder and does not raise up during the hit. I do not see the hit as a dirty hit. Elder did pretty much everythin he could (barring avoiding the hit) to make it clean. But what irritates me the most isn't the suspension, it is that there is absolutely no consistency - par for the course with the nhl.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/?id=456728

The "being spun" confirming the head as being the major point of impact is ridiculous. You can see Hertl lifting up his left arm at the last second to diminish the impact - that and his right leg being hit by Edler's right leg is as much the cause of the spinning as anything. What a bush league.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

People on this board often discuss what it will take to make the Canucks champions: changes to player personnel, systems, coaching, and management. But will any of it matter unless someone in the Canucks' organization can repair the team's relationship with the league officials ? I think we've all seen evidence that you can't beat the other team and the zebras (and the Shami-ham kangaroo court).

I'm sure not renewing Lapierre's contract was intended as a move in that direction, but it doesn't seem to have borne any fruit. Any idea what it would take ? I think someone once suggested bringing Pat Quinn back into the organization to be the [respected] face of the franchise in dealing with the league. Does anyone see hope there ? Is any solution possible, while Vancouver lacks "favoured market" status with the league office ?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:People on this board often discuss what it will take to make the Canucks champions: changes to player personnel, systems, coaching, and management. But will any of it matter unless someone in the Canucks' organization can repair the team's relationship with the league officials ? I think we've all seen evidence that you can't beat the other team and the zebras (and the Shami-ham kangaroo court).

I'm sure not renewing Lapierre's contract was intended as a move in that direction, but it doesn't seem to have borne any fruit. Any idea what it would take ? I think someone once suggested bringing Pat Quinn back into the organization to be the [respected] face of the franchise in dealing with the league. Does anyone see hope there ? Is any solution possible, while Vancouver lacks "favoured market" status with the league office ?
I think it will be a long while before the league finally quits hating us. I don't think I have seen more biased officiating in any sport than what we saw in 2011 against Boston. The Canucks played exactly the way the league said they wanted to see hockey played coming out of the 2004 lockout, they didn't get into after whistle stuff, and it was obvious (other than the chirping from Lap and a few others).

The Canucks made the NHL look ridiculous as a professional sports league that is supposed to be competitive and unbiased. It became obvious that the league didn't actually discipline its officials for being biased, the suspension given to Rome for a clean hit was bullshit, and even TSN made a point of saying that the hit was clean and less than half a second late. The way things were handled when Marchand was speed-bagging Daniel was a complete joke. Dank was a pussy for taking it, but shit like that was what put a spotlight on just how poor the NHL's discipline and officiating really is. They will obviously hate the team that called them out on it too.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Mëds said :
The way things were handled when Marchand was speed-bagging Daniel was a complete joke. Dank was a pussy for taking it, but shit like that was what put a spotlight on just how poor the NHL's discipline and officiating really is.
Couldn't agree more.. Danny boy should have been given a 10 game suspension for "chickenshit misconduct " ?
Don't know why the NHL didn't enforce that rule ? ( Maybe cause its not on the books ) :shock:

Seriously.. this is a lousy call on a hit that doesn't look to be intentional head hunting.. and Shanahan is not being anywhere near consistent.. Maybe they should put together a tribunal to make those calls.. Say .. TIger Williams, Gordie Howe ( Mr elbows ) , and Gino ? At least they know a real penalty ? :)
If the kid wasn't wearing a helmet or if he'd had it strapped down properly.. probably no suspension.. the damm helmet coming off is as much his fault as the hit..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice