I Cannot Believe it is a Suspension Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: I Cannot Believe it is a Suspension Thread

Post by Arachnid »

dbr wrote:Alex Edler has a hearing with the NHL for this hit:

(Credit to HFBoards poster Lucbourdon for the .gif)
learn to keep yer fuck'n head up kid an youll be aright...they should make Alex a NHL wekk star for teach'n the young'n this lesson afore he got hiself killed...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

Best thing about that gift is Stanton not flicnching at all...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Knight wrote:Since a Canuck made the hit, I expect somewhere between 5-10 games.
Sadly Farthand you are correct. Wouldn't have gotten a look if it was any other team. If he gets suspended and Eye Bags doesn't get a huge fine for blistering the league and Shanny I will join the urine crew in the chorus to see his ass fired, albeit for different reasons .

Just take all the contact out of the game if this hit is suspendable. Dustin Brown attacked H Sedins head in the 2012 playoffs and there wasn't even a peep out of the league. He wiped out a Coyotes player later that same playoffs and nothing. Both hit were far dirtier than this one by a mile.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

this is a travesty of justice...a mockery if you will....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

We'll see.

Maybe Alex Edler gets the Milan Lucic, "golly gee, surely you didn't really mean to plow that goaltender into next Tuesday did you son? no? okay, go on your way" treatment from the league.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Let me preface this by saying I have no clue how the “Department of Player Safety” operate, other than guys who knock guys the fuck out from blatant head shots get suspended. Everything else is grey. I am surprised that this hit is getting looked at.

In my opinion, Alex Edler isn’t the kind of guy who hits to take a guy’s head off. He hits to hurt, sure, and he hits to knock guys on their ass, but I don’t think he’s a head hunter.

Hertl had the puck.
No penalty on the play. The Sharks didn’t even seem all that upset about it.
The hit wasn’t blind side. Edler hit him almost head on.
Edler didn’t run him. It was a body check, not a full speed Torpedo TorresTM hit.
Edler’s elbow was tucked.
Edler’s feet were on the ground.
Hertl’s helmet couldn’t have been on properly if it popped off like that.
There was no (apparent) injury on the play. Hertl didn’t even fall over.
Hertl bent over at the last second because he was losing control of the puck (not Edler’s fault), which led to Edler making contact with his head. Edler had no time to adjust for Hertl bending further over.
You could see that hit coming from a mile away, and I’m a bit surprised this rookie, who is supposed to be all that and a bag of chips, didn’t clue in.

That said,
Edler is not a star.
Edler is a “repeat offender”.
Edler is a Vancouver Canuck.

So he’ll get a game or two. This fucking league.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:Since a Canuck made the hit, I expect somewhere between 5-10 games.
Sadly Farthand you are correct. Wouldn't have gotten a look if it was any other team. If he gets suspended and Eye Bags doesn't get a huge fine for blistering the league and Shanny I will join the urine crew in the chorus to see his ass fired, albeit for different reasons .
I think if it was another team, it would have gotten a litle bit of a look since Edler did appear to slightly lean in towards Hertl, but it clearly wasn't a deliberate attempt to injure. As others have pointed out, it looked more "sensational" than it was due to the fact that the kid doesn't know how to strap on a helmut probably. For other teams - my guess is that it would be a possible 1 game suspension.

For the Canucks and their fanbase - it gets worse however. If and when Shanahan hands out the 5-10 game suspension and the Canucks (fans, players, or whoever), rightfully question it, it will simply perpetuate the 'myth' that Canuck fans are whiners and that we collectively believe that the league is consipiring against us. It's the exact same thing that happened in last year's playoffs when the Sharks got WAY more calls than us (not using this as an excuse as to why they beat us........as San Jose is and was a better team than us), but the refs were clearly making calls against the Canucks based on past conduct from previous years.

And people wonder why I've switched over to the NFL and consider the Seattle Seahawks my new flagship team.

Lever took his ball and left, and I'm pretty much half way there myself.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

The Brown Knight wrote:
I think if it was another team, it would have gotten a litle bit of a look since Edler did appear to slightly lean in towards Hertl, but it clearly wasn't a deliberate attempt to injure. As others have pointed out, it looked more "sensational" than it was due to the fact that the kid doesn't know how to strap on a helmut probably. For other teams - my guess is that it would be a possible 1 game suspension.

And people wonder why I've switched over to the NFL and consider the Seattle Seahawks my new flagship team.

Lever took his ball and left, and I'm pretty much half way there myself.
I thought he tried to tuck his shoulder lower to avoid a head shot..Doesn't matter really, we know the NHL will probably suspend Edler anyway as the only thing the league is consistent in is inconsistency.

The NHL is not even mention-worthy in the same sentence as the NFL (oops,just did it)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Shoulder hits his face/jaw as Hertl leans forward to reach for puck. Appears Edler tucks elbow in to try to avoid a head shot but gets him there anyway. At least that is what it appears on that one angle. But I thought they had another angle that makes it look like his shoulder planted on Hertl's chest. I dunno.

Edler, a repeat offender. Has a reputation for taking cheap shots, see Staal. In person hearing. Minimum 5 games if no injury. If SJS says he is hurt look for 8 games. Shanty will call it a predatory, intention hit to the head of a player in a vulnerable position before he makes contact with the puck.

I'm this close to saying good-bye to NHL hockey forever.
The only HW the Canucks need
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

dangler wrote: I thought he tried to tuck his shoulder lower to avoid a head shot..Doesn't matter really, we know the NHL will probably suspend Edler anyway as the only thing the league is consistent in is inconsistency.

The NHL is not even mention-worthy in the same sentence as the NFL (oops,just did it)
Yeah, it's kind of touch and go on that one.

In case the NHL does suspend Edler for 'x' number of games, I'm trying to see things from their perspective.

Even if it was a slight lean in on Edler's part, it CLEARLY wasn't an attempt to injure. We'll see what happens.

And yes - the NHL can't hold a candle to the NFL. When the NFL spots corruption or incompetence of any kind, they take care of it (i.e. the scrub refs were gonzo after they completely blew the call last year when the Seahawks got their 'phantom touchdown' against Green Bay). Those refs that refereed the Seahawks-Steelers Superbowl from 2006, never reffed a game in the NFL ever again).

If the NHL conducted itself in a similar manner to the NFL, Kelly Sutherland would have been fired many years ago.

Best of all, the NFL doesn't have a guy like Don Cherry at the helm who indirectly promotes and encourages racism.

So yes - in support of what you said, the NHL can't hold a candle to the NFL. NFL>NBA>MLB>PGA>someotherleagues>NHL.

Bettman and company can go fuck themselves.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

herb wrote:Let me preface this by saying I have no clue how the “Department of Player Safety” operate, other than guys who knock guys the fuck out from blatant head shots get suspended.
What hurts me the most is that Brendan Shanahan was one of my favorite players of all-time.

As the Red Wings were my second favorite team in the NHL from 1994-2006, Shanahan's character and grit impressed me greatly.

It just saddens me to see him being a 'corporate yes man' and complete 'cock puppet' of Gary Bettman, Colin Campbell, et al.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

herb wrote:Let me preface this by saying I have no clue how the “Department of Player Safety” operate, other than guys who knock guys the fuck out from blatant head shots get suspended.
What hurts me the most is that Brendan Shanahan was one of my favorite players of all-time.

As the Red Wings were my second favorite team in the NHL from 1994-2006, Shanahan's character and grit impressed me greatly.

It just saddens me to see him being a 'corporate yes man' and complete 'cock puppet' of Gary Bettman, Colin Campbell, et al.

Hockey Widow wrote:I'm this close to saying good-bye to NHL hockey forever.
Amen. The only thing keeping me going is that the fact that I've been a fan of the Canucks since 1987........and not being a fan of them would be like asking me to cut off my left arm.

I cheer them because I want to see the city of Vancouver celebrate their win one day. Once in my lifetime.

That's what keeps me going as a fan......and so even though I can't stand the league...........and now consider the Seahawks and the NFL as my new flagship, I can't completely renounce the Canucks or hockey.

The Dark Indian Rises
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=433894
Vancouver Canucks defenceman Alex Edler has been suspended for three games for an illegal check to the head of San Jose Sharks forward Tomas Hertl on Thursday.
What a joke.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Island Nucklehead wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=433894
Vancouver Canucks defenceman Alex Edler has been suspended for three games for an illegal check to the head of San Jose Sharks forward Tomas Hertl on Thursday.
What a joke.
It's significantly less than what I thought he'd get, but it's substantially more than he deserved.

If that hit gets you three games, then Keith's elbow on Sedin a few years back should have been atleast 10 games minimum.

Joke indeeed.

The Dark Indian Rises
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

All I have ever asked for is consistency.

In reffing
In suspensions
In media coverage

3 games.

Joke.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.