I Cannot Believe it is a Suspension Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: I Cannot Believe it is a Suspension Thread

Post by ClamRussel »

tantalum wrote:The problem is that Edler really did decide to completely ignore the puck in this case.
Doesn't everyone who executes a hit? We're not talking chess here, its a split second decision. Shanny is out to lunch on this one. The fluke of the helmet popping off made it more dramatic than it really was.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Art Vandelay wrote:Alex elder just about tore Hertls head off . I am as pissed as anyone that he won't be in the lineup but the hissy fits need to stop . Brendan Shanahan and Bettman and Daly have been clear where the game is going mad headshots will not be tolerated. Not sure why you are having so much difficulty understanding the rules Clam . Your avatar is gross btw
You're going for satire, nice!
I've already proven that head shots will very much be tolerated.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

ClamRussel wrote:The fluke of the helmet popping off made it more dramatic than it really was.
It wasn't a fluke, the strap wasn't done up, of course it's going to pop off.

The NHL should consider a 2 minute minor for a player that looses their helmet during play due to it not being strapped. They care more about a jersey coming off during a fight then a helmet popping off during play, and that makes no sense. If someone ever dies in the NHL getting checked, it'll likely be because their helmet pops off before hitting the boards / ice.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

BurningBeard wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:The fluke of the helmet popping off made it more dramatic than it really was.

The NHL should consider a 2 minute minor for a player that looses their helmet during play due to it not being strapped. They care more about a jersey coming off during a fight then a helmet popping off during play, and that makes no sense. If someone ever dies in the NHL getting checked, it'll likely be because their helmet pops off before hitting the boards / ice.
+1
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

dangler wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:

+1
The NHL is a joke. They really are not dealing with head shots seriously like the NFL is.
They are modern gladiators, mind you, really really well paid warriors but as the research is undeniable they face a crap future after abusing their heads for so long...never mind their knees...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

BurningBeard wrote:

This was my initial wonder as well...was his chin strap done up, and if so was it really loose?

But from what I can see of the replays, the strap was done up, and the impact of the hit caused the strap to unbuckle.

I think it's unlucky that his lid popped off, because if it doesn't I am doubting there would even be a suspension...
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

That hit to Briere tonight better not be a suspension... because F. me if Briere isn't made out of paper mache to get a concussion on that hit.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

BurningBeard wrote:That hit to Briere tonight better not be a suspension... because F. me if Briere isn't made out of paper mache to get a concussion on that hit.
I completely agree.

Clearly, Briere had the puck and the player in question was going after Briere.......cause you know......Briere had the puck. It was also quite obvious that no contact to the head was made whatsoever.

##CommonSense
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Speaking of Briere, he only got 3 games for this intentional vicious slash to Nielsen's head. Compare that to Edler's choice of "angle" in delivering a fair hit.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=80961

Nothing like consistency. Briere is a multiple repeat offender as well btw.