Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Postby Uncle dans leg » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:45 am

So...how would this guy fit our plans?

He is a 21 yr old Centre, 6' 200lbs, tenacious forechecker, led the NHL in takeaways ala Pavel Datsyuk, potted 18g/37a/55pts but a -1. He has tons of upside and his only real detraction would be his holding out for more $$$.

The reported price tag is a top 6 roster player and a top prospect(probably could use an early 1st round pick instead of this).

This is the kind of player who doesn't become available very often and you can build around. He could be a real difference maker but competition will be fierce. If I'm the Coilers or Flamers I go "all in" on this one as both teams need this guy bad. Interest from the east is higher, apparently, but a team like the Oilers could build an excellent package to bring him up to Coilerville.
nobody forks with...the jesus
User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Lethbridge AB

Re: Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Postby Reefer2 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:49 am

I want to see what RD thinks about him first :D

I would like to see him on the team but the asking price will be steep.
User avatar
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 982
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Postby Arachnid » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:04 am

Reefer2 wrote:I want to see what RD thinks about him first :D

I would like to see him on the team but the asking price will be steep.


Forget aboot 'tit...he's Catholic, RD will hate him(self) and unless they want Luo we have no one to give up...
Socks are dead puppets :(
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4915
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Postby SKYO » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:15 am

Don't really like how he's all about the money so early in his career though (just turned 22)

He had one 55 point season and he apparently iirc wants $4M per with some term? :scowl:
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3262
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Postby dbr » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:23 am

He's worth far more than the Avs are offering ($3m and change) and he's stuck behind two players who will get many, many more chances than he will to remain in those two spots (anyone think the Avs are going to be happy with former 2nd overall pick Matt Duchene or olympian Paul Stastny and his huge salary on their 3rd line?)..

I don't think they'd deal him to the Canucks but I would offer Booth and Gaunce (his brother plays in that organization, remember) for O'Reilly. Maybe a draft pick if that's what it takes.

That is if it seemed like you could get O'Reilly signed in the $4m/year neighbourhood and had reason to believe you could play one of him, Ryan Kesler or Jordan Schroeder on the wing indefinitely.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Postby SKYO » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:37 am

That's a lot of work to fit in O'Reilly and his contract.

This offseason due to cap space constraints, I'd prefer to make Jensen work on the 2nd line with RK for 13/14.

Plus with the RL trade this offseason, MG hopefully can grab a young centerman similar to ROR, but with a way cheaper contract like Drew Shore?

Sedins Burr/Kass
Booth Kesler Jensen
Hansen Schroeder/(or center from RL trade) Kass/Burr

This creates a lot more flexibility long and short term, because if Jensen doesn't adjust quickly and we have someone like Shore for the 3rd line, Schroeder can easily move into the 2nd line.

That way in the 2014 offseason, if need be, MG can buy out Booth or best case scenario trade him after his value goes up with a healthy 2013/14 season.

Ultimately this keeps the youth movement strong, while remaining competitive contenders.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3262
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Postby Uncle dans leg » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:43 am

dbr wrote:I don't think they'd deal him to the Canucks but I would offer Booth and Gaunce (his brother plays in that organization, remember) for O'Reilly. Maybe a draft pick if that's what it takes.

i doubt Booth and Gaunce is enough. Booth hasn't exactly proven anything, couple this with his salary and I just can't see the Avs biting.
I'd think more along the lines of Burrows and Gaunce, but that's a steep price. It would be enticing to them though which could get it done. Who knows...we're all just speculators anyway!!!!
nobody forks with...the jesus
User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Lethbridge AB

Re: Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Postby dbr » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:50 am

Yeah it probably isn't enough.

That being said adding O'Reilly would be a major coup, I'm not sure I'd deal Burrows (who is even further away from the age of their core players than DB7) but I'd certainly add to Booth to get that deal done.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Postby CFP! » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Wouldn't the Avs want someone like Jensen/Hansen (young skilled fwds)?

RoR becomes another issue for Schroeder too. Not many teams have third line centers making $4+/yr and come to think about it, Colorado has their top two centers locked up for the next couple of yrs as well. (Stasny/Duchene)

http://www.capgeek.com/avalanche
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:22 pm

Re: Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Postby SKYO » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:52 pm

Decent read for the AVs counterargument...


by Adrian Dater
-The Denver Post

O’Reilly wants to be paid like a 30-goal scorer in this league. He scored 39 goals his first three years in the league. He’s never even scored 20. Guys who steal a few pucks and score 15-20 goals are great (his career high is 18, last year), but they aren’t $5 million a year players.

- O’Reilly is basing all his salary demands on one good year. He wants at least $5 million a year for one good year. But he’s played three. Sorry, kid, but you haven’t proven yourself enough yet to get that kind of money. Besides, if you’re as good as you say you are, then you’d have taken a one- or two-year deal, played your butt off and put up another big and maybe even better year and PROVEN you’re not just a one-year wonder. Then, you would have really had the Avs by the shorthairs at the bargaining table.

Then, you would have been eligible for arbitration and pretty much gotten any salary you’d want from the arbitrator. Or, you would have forced the Avs to cry uncle, admit you’re the real deal and then gotten that long-term deal for maybe even more money than you want now.
But you want to be guaranteed huge money for a long time without truly having proven yet that you can do it consistently.

- You had your best scoring year playing with the NHL rookie of the year. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

- Your camp may be ridiculing supposed friend and teammate Matt Duchene for taking a short-money contract and thereby setting a floor too low for your own self. Fine, but guess what? Matt Duchene worked his butt off this summer, got himself in incredible shape and has played great this season, and now he’s likely looking at a huge new contract before too long. Maybe the Avs even reward him already with a rich contract extension before too long, to not have to worry about keeping him down the road.

That could have been you.

Oh, and by the way: Duchene put up 132 points his first two years in the league. You put up 52 and were a combined minus-3. In fact, your career plus-minus is -4.

- Speaking of that great last season you had, can we talk about the last six games of the year? You know, the ones that were the crunch-time games, the ones that would determine if the Avs made the playoffs or not, the ones where the really great players are supposed to rise to the occasion?
Your stats for the final six games: Zero goals, one assist, -2.
Over the final 18 games, you scored two goals for us.

- How do you think you really come off to your teammates? As a team-first guy, or a me-first guy now? Think about that one hard.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013/02/13/ryan-oreilly-the-counterargument/12557/
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3262
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Postby rats19 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:55 pm

thats a well written to the point message to a young unproven possible....lol
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4589
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Postby Vader » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:03 pm

I think O'reilly will be a good player, but he's unproven and the Av's are absolutely doing the right thing. With the cap coming down, teams are going to hammer the RFA's without arbitration rights. See PK Subban for further evidence that this will become the trend.

It's about time owners began using the CBA to their advantage, instead of locking players every few years. Ever since the Vanek and Penner offer sheets,the contracts players get coming of their ELC has been ridiculous since the players have essentially no leverage.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Postby dangler » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:29 pm

doesn't sound like the type of player The Gillis would target
User avatar
dangler
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: Commercial Drive Coffee shop

Re: Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Postby rats19 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:42 pm

dangler wrote:doesn't sound like the type of player The Gillis would target

because of his style of play? or
because of his price tag request?
or because he may be an asshole?

just askin..
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4589
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Postby dangler » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:04 pm

rats19 wrote:
dangler wrote:doesn't sound like the type of player The Gillis would target

because of his style of play? or
because of his price tag request?
or because he may be an asshole?

just askin..


-O’Reilly wants to be paid like a 30-goal scorer in this league. He scored 39 goals his first three years in the league. He’s never even scored 20. Guys who steal a few pucks and score 15-20 goals are great (his career high is 18, last year), but they aren’t $5 million a year players.

- O’Reilly is basing all his salary demands on one good year. He wants at least $5 million a year for one good year. But he’s played three. Sorry, kid, but you haven’t proven yourself enough yet to get that kind of money. Besides, if you’re as good as you say you are, then you’d have taken a one- or two-year deal, played your butt off and put up another big and maybe even better year and PROVEN you’re not just a one-year wonder. Then, you would have really had the Avs by the shorthairs at the bargaining table.
User avatar
dangler
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: Commercial Drive Coffee shop

Next

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Meds and 5 guests