Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
CFP! wrote:CoHo + Grigs for RoR
I'd do that. Good trade for both teams.
because the Sabres have such depth at centre.
Topper should change his name to Quipper.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

CFP! wrote:
My point was that he was NOT a highly touted DP. I'm really not sure if you are a fish out of water or you just like to contradict yourself post after post.

Comparing Burrows to RoR is not the same. Either way, the draft status of RoR has been seen as very limited. Unless shown otherwise a signed(under $3.5) RoR is worth Schroeder/(Hodgson) + 1st + Sauve/Pinnizotto. Saw a post on the Sabres board....CoHo + Grigs for RoR....lol :lol:
I agree that a burrows comparison for contract purposes is no good. What I meant about ROR being a highly regarded pick was that ROR came through the front door, whereas Burrows took low road through the minors.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

CFP! wrote: Saw a post on the Sabres board....CoHo + Grigs for RoR....lol :lol:
So they better start the "sheltering" now..
Watching the Pens/Sabres opening shift and 3 times in 20 seconds CoHo lost puck battles directly due to footspeed and the puck ends up in his net. They're gonna need a bigger boat

aaaand Hodgson scores...back into my cave I go :eh:
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote: I agree that a burrows comparison for contract purposes is no good. What I meant about ROR being a highly regarded pick was that ROR came through the front door, whereas Burrows took low road through the minors.
The bottom line is, it don't matter how ya got there (Big League) it's how ya do when you are there. Let's try this, Benn and O'Reilly were not 1st round picks (O'Reilly a 2nd round pick, Benn a 4th round pick), both started in the league the same year 09-10 although Benn is two years older. Both players are considered excellent two way players. Both are centers although Benn is considered a Centre/Winger. Benn is a little bigger 6'-2" 205 lbs than O'Reilly - 6'-0" 200 lbs. Benn has padded better stats in his 3 years than O'Reilly, even though O'Reilly's numbers grow each year. This could be the fact that O'Reilly started as an 18 year old in the NHL whereas Benn started as a 20 year old.

Benn

09-10 - 22 goals, 19 assists - 41 points
10-11 - 22 goals, 34 assists - 56 points
11-12 - 26 goals, 37 assists - 63 points

O'Reilly

09-10 - 8 goals, 18 assists - 26 points
10-11 - 13 goals, 13 assists - 26 points
11-12 - 18 goals, 37 assists - 55 points

There was a huge spike in points for O'Reilly last season (over double), putting him only 8 points behind Benn.

Benn just received a 5 year contract that pays him $5,250,000 per year

INMYHUMBLEOPINION - O'Reilly is a hair clip behind Benn in overall value and I do believe that the kid will get better each year as his stats indicate that. I see no problem in awarding O'Reilly a million less than Jamie Benn with similar term - 4,250,000 for 5 years. But I wouldn't do anything more than that which is probably how the Avalanche feel. I would assume that the O'Reilly party is using Benn's contract as a comparable.

Anyhow uk I look forward to you're insults regarding this post. Cheerio.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

CFP! wrote: He hasn't proven he is worth the money you're or his dad is suggesting. As for Booth, we inherited him with his contract under the old CBA, playing for a team trying to reach the cap floor. Under the new CBA maybe the "current" Booth isn't worth his salary however; he was paid what that type of player was worth under the previous CBA.
Just for shits and giggles, if Booth became an RFA after last season and then negotiations for his new contract didn't begin til post new CBA, what would you call a fair offer for Booth?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: I agree that a burrows comparison for contract purposes is no good. What I meant about ROR being a highly regarded pick was that ROR came through the front door, whereas Burrows took low road through the minors.
The bottom line is, it don't matter how ya got there (Big League) it's how ya do when you are there. Let's try this, Benn and O'Reilly were not 1st round picks (O'Reilly a 2nd round pick, Benn a 4th round pick), both started in the league the same year 09-10 although Benn is two years older. Both players are considered excellent two way players. Both are centers although Benn is considered a Centre/Winger. Benn is a little bigger 6'-2" 205 lbs than O'Reilly - 6'-0" 200 lbs. Benn has padded better stats in his 3 years than O'Reilly, even though O'Reilly's numbers grow each year. This could be the fact that O'Reilly started as an 18 year old in the NHL whereas Benn started as a 20 year old.

Benn

09-10 - 22 goals, 19 assists - 41 points
10-11 - 22 goals, 34 assists - 56 points
11-12 - 26 goals, 37 assists - 63 points

O'Reilly

09-10 - 8 goals, 18 assists - 26 points
10-11 - 13 goals, 13 assists - 26 points
11-12 - 18 goals, 37 assists - 55 points

There was a huge spike in points for O'Reilly last season (over double), putting him only 8 points behind Benn.

Benn just received a 5 year contract that pays him $5,250,000 per year

INMYHUMBLEOPINION - O'Reilly is a hair clip behind Benn in overall value and I do believe that the kid will get better each year as his stats indicate that. I see no problem in awarding O'Reilly a million less than Jamie Benn with similar term - 4,250,000 for 5 years. But I wouldn't do anything more than that which is probably how the Avalanche feel. I would assume that the O'Reilly party is using Benn's contract as a comparable.

Anyhow uk I look forward to you're insults regarding this post. Cheerio.
okay you're right it doesn't matter how you get there, however what he has done there so far is over value himself and stick his middle finger up at the order of things. He wants to circumvent the process. That's arrogant and should set off warning bells about his character and that is the issue.
Character is the intangible that makes winners. Maybe the kid is a winner but holding out is not a great way to show it...